• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collin Martin Signs with D.C. United

I don't think the financial side is much of a concern for him.

I don't think the financial side is much of a concern for him.

Agreed. He is from Chevy Chase, MD. 40 to 60K is a monthly salary for most there. I am talking way beyond anything that I know, but is there really a serious concern that, 20 years from now, Collin Martin's soccer career would have been significantly different/worse is he played his sophmore year at WF versus spending that year playing on the developmental side of the worst team in MLS? I have no clue how talented this kid is, but he scored one goal and had a handful of assists as frosh at WF, I have hard time believing that he will be anything other than middling player in the MLS. 20 years from now, he is more likely to brokering commercial real estate deals than having anything to do with soccer. So, wouldn't another year of college playing at a high-level of soccer, be more appealing than playing minor league soccer matches in Richmond and Scranton?

I think he projects much higher than a middling MLS player. He was a standout at academy level and a really promising recruit. And since the MLS development level is higher than the college level, this makes good sense to me, since soccer is in his immediate future as a career move.

It's also important to remember that Martin graduated high school early, so he's only 18. He's been on an accelerated path already.

Let's be real too, DC probably didn't just sign him right now by random chance. I'd bet anything that there were some Euro teams luring him, and DC had to act now if they didn't want to lose him for nothing. I highly doubt he was going to be playing for Wake Forest this season, DC or otherwise.

DC United has also been probably the most homegrown friendly club in the entire league since the mechanism was put into place a few years ago. They've sold Najar onto Anderlecht for $2-3M, Hamid has been a starter since he was 19 and is now a fringe national team player, Ethan White has been a rotation player in defense, and now Connor Shanosky is breaking into the first team after playing on loan for a year and a half. Michael Seaton hasn't played for the first team yet, but he's getting regular minutes on loan in the USL and showing well there at 17.

Other teams like Dallas have signed more guys, but no one has used their young players like DC, which has to have been noticed.

It's also important to remember that Martin graduated high school early, so he's only 18. He's been on an accelerated path already.

Let's be real too, DC probably didn't just sign him right now by random chance. I'd bet anything that there were some Euro teams luring him, and DC had to act now if they didn't want to lose him for nothing. I highly doubt he was going to be playing for Wake Forest this season, DC or otherwise.
Exactly. What we've seen from Martin indicates he wouldn't wait around of the opportunity was there now.

Great for him. He is following his dream of being a professional footballer. I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

The hypocrisy of our AD knows no bounds.

IDK what Collin looks like, but I'd hazard a guess that some of this hypocrisy is race-based. One and done in a predominantly black sport = bad culture. One and done in a predominantly white sport = sign of a successful program.

IDK what Collin looks like, but I'd hazard a guess that some of this hypocrisy is race-based. One and done in a predominantly black sport = bad culture. One and done in a predominantly white sport = sign of a successful program.

Add this to the ever-expanding list of Premier Wellman's character flaws.

Martin is getting his first pro minutes tonight for Richmond at the Vancouver reserves. Starting somewhere in the midfield, guessing on the right side.

Back