• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COLLINS deserves ACCPOY

Hard to argue against his candidacy at this point for ACC POY. There are others deserving, so it's not like he'd be robbed if he didn't get it, but he's absolutely deserving.

He's got a good shot at 1st Team All-American.

KP Player of the Year Standings:

1. Josh Hart Nova 1.63
2. Jock Landale St. Mary's 1.60
3. Jonathan Motley Baylor 1.59
4. Caleb Swanigan Purdue 1.55
5. Nigel Williams Goss Zaga 1.39
6. Ethan Happ Wisky 1.35
7. Juwan Evans OK State 1.33
8. Frank Mason KS 1.28
9. John Collins WF 1.26
10. Josh Jackson KS 1.25

KP ACC POY Standings:

1. John Collins WF
2. Bonzie Colson ND
3. Donovan Mitchell L'ville
4. Luke Kennard Dook
5. Justin Jackson NC

KP Player of the Year Standings:

1. Josh Hart Nova 1.63
2. Jock Landale St. Mary's 1.60
3. Jonathan Motley Baylor 1.59
4. Caleb Swanigan Purdue 1.55
5. Nigel Williams Goss Zaga 1.39
6. Ethan Happ Wisky 1.35
7. Juwan Evans OK State 1.33
8. Frank Mason KS 1.28
9. John Collins WF 1.26
10. Josh Jackson KS 1.25

KP ACC POY Standings:

1. John Collins WF
2. Bonzie Colson ND
3. Donovan Mitchell L'ville
4. Luke Kennard Dook
5. Justin Jackson NC

I haven't watched a single SMC game this year and I can only assume that this dude is legit and probably putting up silly stats. That said, he basically plays against high school teams every night, except for their Gonzaga game(s).

I haven't watched a single SMC game this year and I can only assume that this dude is legit and probably putting up silly stats. That said, he basically plays against high school teams every night, except for their Gonzaga game(s).

He probably gets extra credit for his name being Jock though.

When are ACC POY and All-American teams voted on? Will either take into account anything after VT on Saturday? Playing well in the ACCT (and the team making a further-than-expected run) would obviously help his case for both.

Joc and JC have shockingly similar stats. Joc has a good assist rate, but really they have almost identical metrics.

I was on the Luke Kennard bandwagon for ACC POY until last night, but now JC has to be the leader in the clubhouse.

12 straight 20 point games in ACC play and, what, 15 double doubles over the course of the season?

ACC POY is a regular season award and is voted on and announced before the ACC tourney. Not sure about the All-America teams.

I was convinced that Kennard or another player from a top-tier team would win, but after watching Collins abuse his competition consistently and thoroughly over the last few weeks, I think he has a real shot to win it. It's clear that he deserves it, regardless of my WFU bias, so I only hope that voters don't hold the team's overall record against him.

I think he's a better player, but you don't beat blue bloods unless your team is good. Tale as old as time.

The one negative on Collins is that he has really only been outstanding for about half this season. But it has been an amazing stretch of games over the last two months. Now 12 straight 20 and 10, putting this stretch up there with performances of all time Wake greats.

He hasn't had double digit rebounds in all the games during this stretch.

Collins averaging 20.7/9.4 in ACC play.
Last 12 games 24.25pts/11.08 reb/66.46%FG/79%FT.
I think Pitino is correct that he is best big man in ACC. I haven't watched enough others to know about country.
I don't agree that players ppg should be based on entire season. Metrics for POY should be based solely on ACC play.
By season metrics he is 3rd in scoring, in ACC play he is #1. He is also 2nd in Reb, 3rd in Blocks, 1st in FG%.
Sounds like a MVP candidate for sure, but our ACC record will probably eliminate him from POY candidate. POY has implications that your play caused team success. Not saying I agree with that statement, but that has traditionally been the sentiment.

The one negative on Collins is that he has really only been outstanding for about half this season. But it has been an amazing stretch of games over the last two months. Now 12 straight 20 and 10, putting this stretch up there with performances of all time Wake greats.

He went from very good to outstanding and he was outstanding for the bulk of ACC play. That's hardly a negative. That's improvement. And I think his per 36 numbers were fairly consistent. He just stayed on the court more as the year went along.

He went from very good to outstanding and he was outstanding for the bulk of ACC play. That's hardly a negative. That's improvement. And I think his per 36 numbers were fairly consistent. He just stayed on the court more as the year went along.

Agreed. The only thing holding him back is the team is a bubble team. A great player on the conference winner usually has a leg up. But it's not like ND or Lville is going to win the conference, and Jackson is too much of an occasional no show to give it to him. So after last night (and UNC's and Jackson's pitiful effort Mon nite), I'm thinking Collins is the new favorite for POY. But if Duke beats UNC Sat nite, and Kennard lights them up, that could put Kennard into being the favorite. But if UNC wins and holds Kennard to a reasonable amount, I'm thinking Collins gets it.

If he doesn't win it and feels super motivated to prove he's the best in Brooklyn, I'd be OK with this

Collins will have to have 25/10 in a win while kennard has <20 in a duke loss for Collins to have any shot, they won't give it to a team they think will miss the tournament.

Bros, I want to make a post about John Collins. First of all, this guy has been the best player on the floor for just about every game except the Duke game (Kennard outplayed him, IMO). This guy has gone from an unheralded recruit to a Top 15 pick in two years at Wake under Danny Manning. There should be no sour grapes if the kid leaves for the League (which he should and almost assuredly will do).

Collins' ascension will be credited to the stellar tutelage of Manning. Collins going pro this year and being drafted early will be a big message to future recruits. Danny Manning knows how to coach and get can top players to the League. We should all be excited for the future whether or not Collins leaves.

Collins will have to have 25/10 in a win while kennard has <20 in a duke loss for Collins to have any shot, they won't give it to a team they think will miss the tournament.

Not correct.

In 2012-3 VT's Erick Green was the ACC co-POY (with Shane Larkin). VT went 13-18 (4-14) and obviously missed the NCAAs.

In 2013-2014, State's TJ Warren was the ACC POY. At the time he won the award, State was 19-12 (9-9), and the Pack was not expected to make the NCAA tourney (they were KP #78 after the regular season). After Warren won the award, State beat Miami and Cuse to reach the ACC semifinals, before a close loss to Duke. That run got State into the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Back