• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins starting over Doral wednesday vs ND

CharlotteDeac1

Reaction score
Coach Nanking said today that he decides before last gama that Collins would start one game in Devin's absense while Moore started the other. Moore got his start against BC, it's Collins turn against ND.

That's fine. Who "starts" really doesn't matter. Regardless if he starts, Doral will get more minutes than any game he has played all year (barring foul trouble).

That's fine. Who "starts" really doesn't matter. Regardless if he starts, Doral will get more minutes than any game he has played all year (barring foul trouble).

That's my thought process too. Who starts isn't as important as Collins and Moore both getting more minutes.

I wasn't saying this as a negative, just getting it out there to everyone. I just hope both the freshman play a lot and Dinos plays less this coming game like against BC.

You know we're in bad shape when a 6'11 black Chinese guy is coaching the team. I hope Chang and Mao are solid assitants.

Collins minutes against BC were limited by his play. 5 personal fouls in his 17 minutes. Until that is fixed, JC will have limited minutes.

Manning was totally embarrassed by Moore's play Sunday. His lack of playing time the entire year was called into question. Manning's comments that Moore had never played like that in high school, AAU or practice was hilarious. I'm really getting concerned that Danny has a serious stubborn complex. Not making any changes in a six week losing streak is bad enough, but when you are forced to make a change and it works at least be quite about it. Instead he doubles down and benches the star of the game.

Manning was totally embarrassed by Moore's play Sunday. His lack of playing time the entire year was called into question. Manning's comments that Moore had never played like that in high school, AAU or practice was hilarious. I'm really getting concerned that Danny has a serious stubborn complex. Not making any changes in a six week losing streak is bad enough, but when you are forced to make a change and it works at least be quite about it. Instead he doubles down and benches the star of the game.

I can't stress how much I disagree with this post.

I can't stress how much I disagree with this post.

Not trying to be a wise guy but I really would like to know your thoughts. I am at a loss as to Manning's handling of the last 6 weeks.

Ehhh who cares who starts. A month ago the general consensus was JC was the better all around player anyways.

Not trying to be a wise guy but I really would like to know your thoughts. I am at a loss as to Manning's handling of the last 6 weeks.

I totally get, and to some extent agree, with the argument that it made no sense to keep Moore on the bench in the midst of a lost season.

That's a lot different than saying that it was clear that Doral would be putting up 19, 7, 3 if only Manning had played him 20 minutes a game. Not sure why people don't believe that's the best Manning has ever seen Doral play. It's certainly the best I've seen him play.

I totally get, and to some extent agree, with the argument that it made no sense to keep Moore on the bench in the midst of a lost season.

That's a lot different than saying that it was clear that Doral would be putting up 19, 7, 3 if only Manning had played him 20 minutes a game. Not sure why people don't believe that's the best Manning has ever seen Doral play. It's certainly the best I've seen him play.

Not saying that Moore would duplicate that every game. I am calling bullshit on a coach that tells me Moore was hit by pixie dust and started dunking, blocking shots and hitting jump hooks on a Sunday night and it had never been seen before. Hell, we got a glimpse of it in the 3 minutes per game he played prior to Sunday.

You can't believe that the head coach would rather continue losing than make a change that he felt would better suit the team to win a game. Moore looked great on Sunday vs a JV team, but technically plays the same position as the best player on the roster. I think you can fault Manning for not finding ways to consistently use a lineup where Thomas is playing alongside either Moore or Collins, but from what he sees on a daily basis he feels removing Dinos from the lineup to do so is not enhancing the team's chances at winning.

There's a huge difference in saying Manning has done poorly with substitution management and saying that he was "embarrassed by Moore's play Sunday."

When RW hired Manning he said he did so because of Manning's insistence that his way was the right way and he was going to do it his way. That's clearly what we are seeing (for right or for wrong). That doesn't necessarily meanie has a "serious stubborn complex". To me it likely indicates that he has been successful at every single facet of his basketball career, and knows what it takes to win basketball games. Time will tell.

This isn't baseball. Players can freely enter and return to the game. Who plays the first 3-4 minutes of the game is almost irrelevant. With Thomas out, the number of bigs that WF can play are severely limited; regardless who starts, Collins and Moore will both play a lot. The number of minutes that Moore and Collins get is FAR more likely to be determined by foul trouble than "who starts". Barring foul trouble or injury, Moore is going to play major minutes tomorrow. Your post makes seem as though Manning is going to try to bury Moore on the bench for the ND game. You can't rationally think that. Such a bizarre and erroneous criticism of Manning makes it harder to accept legit criticism and lends credence to WF's lunatic fringe fanbase. Claiming that Moore is getting benched because Manning flipped/flopped the starting spot for Moore and Collins during DT's two game absence is silly.

Last edited:

There are some decent points in your post. However, this is not one of them.

What if he actually did tell Moore & Collins...in advance of the BC game...that they'd each start one of the next 2? Is he supposed to back off that since Moore played well? And why are you calling it benching when the game hasn't even started? What if Moore doesn't start, but plays 25 minutes? Is that benching?

There's a huge difference in saying Manning has done poorly with substitution management and saying that he was "embarrassed by Moore's play Sunday."

When RW hired Manning he said he did so because of Manning's insistence that his way was the right way and he was going to do it his way. That's clearly what we are seeing (for right or for wrong). That doesn't necessarily meanie has a "serious stubborn complex". To me it likely indicates that he has been successful at every single facet of his basketball career, and knows what it takes to win basketball games. Time will tell.

You're right. I shouldn't have said Manning was embarrassed. But I have a real concern that Moore has not been given more minutes. The argument that we could not have given Dinos a few less minutes per game doesn't hold much water for me.

I was embarrassed for Danny though.

Who starts probably isn't a big deal, but what concerns me is that Manning seems to be unable or unwilling to adjust or change what he plans to do. If anyone has ever earned the right to start again it's Moore after his performance against BC. I mean, it's fine to say we'll give each one a start in Devin's absense, but circumstances change and a good coach recognizes that and adjusts.

Who starts probably isn't a big deal, but what concerns me is that Manning seems to be unable or unwilling to adjust or change what he plans to do. If anyone has ever earned the right to start again it's Moore after his performance against BC. I mean, it's fine to say we'll give each one a start in Devin's absense, but circumstances change and a good coach recognizes that and adjusts.

Exactly. With the match ups against ND I would rather have Collins trying to guard their 4 instead of Dinos.

Back