• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins to test NBA, update: he has signed an agent, per Jeff Goodman

Because that information inevitably gets out and teams don't want other teams to know how they value a player?

Didn't Charlotte do the opposite with Randolph Childress? They talked trash about him hoping to steal him with their pick (something like 19) but Detroit took him at 18.

This is where John Collins needs to trust Manning. Danny has been in the NBA and seen a lot there. He can help Collins sort out honest evaluations from smoke being blown up his ass about how good he is. Collins also has a yardstick based on the games he played against some of the guys going in the draft. That is one advantage of playing in the ACC. Multiple games against other NBA prospects. They can trade info and pretty easily figure out that 15 guys aren't all going to be top 10 picks.

Even #Curry math can't make that work.

He should trust his coach and go for the NBA trade show, display his wares, then come back and put it all out there, make good use of his due diligence, and make the best decision for him and his family. Then don't hindsight it, whatever the decision is.

Didn't Charlotte do the opposite with Randolph Childress? They talked trash about him hoping to steal him with their pick (something like 19) but Detroit took him at 18.

It was Portland. He was drafted by Portland then traded to Detroit somewhat later after, I think, Portland grew concerned over Chill's shoulder.

A flaw in all of that is other teams also evaluate players. So it would be hard to game other teams. Kids that a relatively uneducated could fall for the 'you are great we know it others don't ' line.

That's the thing though. If picks 19-30 have no interest in Collins but know that the team with pick #18 is high on Collins, then they have an incentive to get Collins into the draft. If Collins goes at #18 then someone teams 19-30 have rated higher than Collins will be sure to fall to them.

There are certainly disincentives to doing this (reputation among players and coaches both in College and around the league, basic human decency, etc.) but I'm sure it still happens, even if it's not intentional.

I think this is where Manning will really be an asset to JC. He knows which organizations and people can be trusted and I imagine teams are going to be less willing to risk hurting their reputation with a former player.

Manning also has connections other coaches don't with guys in NBA circles that can offer an unbiased assessment.

Manning hasn't been in the NBA in a long time though.

Manning hasn't been in the NBA in a long time though.

This probably is to some benefit. All the guys he played with and against are now in mgmt. those are the opinions you want; Not agent hype.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no idea why Manning would be a useful adviser for Collins. Doesn't he have a super big bias towards Collins returning for another season?

ETA: This is in no way a shot at Manning or WFU. I think this about every player going through this process from every school

part of a coach's job in today's college game, i imagine, is figuring out how to straddle that line effectively

seems like roy and k are pretty good at convincing guys out of their own best interest to stay, so it's definitely a skill that can be acquired

College coaches are in an interesting situation with respect to players potentially leaving school early to go to the NBA. Throughout the recruiting process, the coach has been telling the kid how much he wants him, and most probably how great he thinks the kid is. Now he has to give the kid an evaluation of pro potential, and that evaluation carried the possibility of the player leaving. So a "bad" pro potential evaluation would make it more likely the player returns.

However, if a coach gets a reputation for "low balling" players chances in the NBA, then that could impact his recruiting. So being honest with players is probably the coach's best approach for long term success. College recruiting is a never ending process, and the area where failure usually leads to poor on-court performance. In basketball a few outstanding players can make a major difference in record and performance.

I think the best thing you can do is be honest. Even to the point of documenting your projections and advice given so that you have a track record. This is somewhat new territory for Manning on that front, but hopefully he will have many opportunities in the future to hone his role, and to develop a history of good honest advice.

I think the best thing you can do is be honest. Even to the point of documenting your projections and advice given so that you have a track record. This is somewhat new territory for Manning on that front, but hopefully he will have many opportunities in the future to hone his role, and to develop a history of good honest advice.

Not really, I'm sure he was involved with Self on most of the Kansas early entry decisions and discussions, so he has more experience with it than Wake does.

I'd be more shocked if John Collins returns than if one of 2&2's female employees who went on maternity returned to work for him.

254a4be276899f974dd7202ec62b1fe0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The John Collins from Gonzaga just declared for the draft. Has not hired an agent yet, but says he will. Think this is not good news for our JC

His name is not John, it is Zach. I think it has been posted above as this is literally yesterday's news.

Good news for Wake fans if you want John back though.

Where is that stupid article saying that no one and dones were in the Final Four this year? Relink that thread plz

Back