• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Colorado finally moving on after 8 wretched years, from Denver Post:

Why the Deac Not

Frederic Fuckin' Chopin
Reaction score
Didn't see this posted yet, but it has mildly tangential pertinence to Wake Forest (i.e. Bzzdelicked):

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_23341549/cu-athletic-director-mike-bohn-says-he-was

Looks like fund-raising became an issue. Unfortunately for us, it doesn't seem like Wellman has lost much momentum on that front. Will the Joel purchase and capital drive be his final undoing??

ETA: anyone privy to how much Wellman gets paid per year approximately? Gonna cost CU $918K to take the Bohn out:

"I want to ensure you know, as my official separation agreement states, that I have not engaged in any impropriety, NCAA rule violations, university policy violation or any immoral, dishonest, or other sort of misconduct."

Bohn will get his settlement in three equal payments of $306,000. The first payment is due on July 1, 2013. The second payment is January 1, 2014 and the third payment is January 1, 2015. Bohn's contract was scheduled to end in 2016."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...etic-director-mike-bohn-to-get-918k-to-resign

Last edited:
Thought about posting this yesterday. Wellman's Colorado brother is no more.

Of course, their men's basketball program is in a much healthier state than either of our two major-revenue programs

Looks like fund-raising became an issue. Unfortunately for us, it doesn't seem like Wellman has lost much momentum on that front.

That's not the story I hear...we're just fortunate we're cashing in on ACC expansion $$. If Wake weren't in the ACC, we'd be in big financial trouble right now.

Mike Bohn says he was forced out as Colorado Buffaloes athletic director

Dude, you hired [Redacted]. You should have been forced out a long time ago.

Thought about posting this yesterday. Wellman's Colorado brother is no more.

Of course, their men's basketball program is in a much healthier state than either of our two major-revenue programs

Football drives the train at Colorado. Hard to believe, but for about 10 years (1990-2000), the Buffs were a top 5 program. Now they are arguably among the worst of the BCS schools. Basketball is a very secondary sport at Colorado (which makes their success compared to WF since Bz left, all the more frustrating).

Interesting to go back four years and see comments. Several similar statements now and then.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-prepared-tough-road-ahead-colorado-buffaloes

Football drives the train at Colorado. Hard to believe, but for about 10 years (1990-2000), the Buffs were a top 5 program. Now they are arguably among the worst of the BCS schools. Basketball is a very secondary sport at Colorado (which makes their success compared to WF since Bz left, all the more frustrating).

Right. Definitely some similarities between our decline in basketball and theirs in football, though their "historical competitiveness" in the past has been higher and they've had a longer spell in the doldrums

Colorado football also had major scandals to help them fall so far.

This article partly makes me sad in that if he'd gone to the NBA he wouldn't be here, but it also makes me happy that he still might bolt from a major college HC job to an NBA assistant job. Perhaps all the press the billboard has gotten could mean he will get some phone calls over the summer and decide to leave. One can only hope...

Colorado is an interesting state dominated by a small clique of super rich people who get hit up for donations for everything. The quality of high school athletics is mixed and I am guessing that it is hard to field decent teams with in-state recruits. The surrounding states are mostly farm fields and desert, until you travel a few hundred miles east and hit the Kansas schools. Professional sports dominate the local media and are strongly supported. I'm guessing that there is no formula for sustained success at Colorado.

I thought Macintyre was a great hire & basketball has obviously improved over the past 3 years (Ron Wellman says 'you're welcome')

Figured the A.D. would get to see how the new fball hire works out; maybe this has been in the works for a while.

Back