• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable

Definitely try to get a manager in their retention department. At least at Comcast, they were willing to give me the same pricing they would give a new customer.

You guys are doing better than me on Centurylink DSL
3224800590.png

Pathetic and clearly not worth how much I'm paying.

Pathetic and clearly not worth how much I'm paying.

What are you paying for? Those upload speeds look like one of TW's top tiers, but the download speed is pathetic. Noted, unless you're plugged directly into the modem with a cable to your laptop, your router could be the issue.

Paying for 60/5.

Yeahh, finding that spot where it won't be an awful inconvenience is definitely the issue. Did they charge you again for "installation" after you went through with it?

No, but I have all my own equipment and all they had to do was switch it back on since they hadn't actually come out to disconnect the wires yet from the cancellation.

I pay €30 a month (about $41). The poor quality of the USA consumer internet infrastructure is rapidly becoming a very big problem, and is going to be an anchor on the US economy in the next few decades if isn't taken seriously.

3225312046.png

Time Warner says consumers don't want fast internet [UPDATE] Comcast agrees

I think much of it is tied to the decline of network and cable tv. They've got to make their money. The net neutrality debate is the scariest thing. That could set us back.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why are you people paying for 30 and 60 Mbps connections? I'm at 12 Mbps and it's just fine for Netflix, Hulu+, etc. and have no need for speeds that high even if it was just $5 or $10/month more

3225375462.png

Actually better than what Comcast says I'm paying for (25MB/s download)

I think much of it is tied to the decline of network and cable tv. They've got to make their money. The net neutrality debate is the scariest thing. That could set us back.

Nah, it's mostly tied to the exclusivity agreements that the primary providers have for huge geographic areas and the extremely limited competition this has created. It's really a mirror of many of the other problems with the US economy at the moment - enormous businesses with no interest in the public good wielding enormous political influence to guarantee their existing income streams at all costs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-27/u-s-internet-users-pay-more-for-slower-service.html

Oh no question about that. That's the situation I'm in.

Just out of curiosity, why are you people paying for 30 and 60 Mbps connections? I'm at 12 Mbps and it's just fine for Netflix, Hulu+, etc. and have no need for speeds that high even if it was just $5 or $10/month more

I'm paying ~$65/month for TWC 50/5

I pay for the 50 and 5 because I work from home 100 percent of the time and I need my bandwidth to support webex and telepresence video meetings while still using my voip phone on a corporate vpn. While all that is going on I need to account for the possibility that we need to use the other phone line or rdtoy is using the other computer at the same time.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Paying for 60/5.

I'd try plugging another machine directly into the modem and running it again. Something is messed up with your computer, router, wireless, etc most likely.

Nah, it's mostly tied to the exclusivity agreements that the primary providers have for huge geographic areas and the extremely limited competition this has created. It's really a mirror of many of the other problems with the US economy at the moment - enormous businesses with no interest in the public good wielding enormous political influence to guarantee their existing income streams at all costs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-27/u-s-internet-users-pay-more-for-slower-service.html

Bunch of damn rent seekers.

Back