• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Compassionate Conservatives, all of them

I'm not sure where I stand either, but the US did kind of subsidize the losses incurred by illegal financial practices.

Without drug testing anybody from the banks.

Sure. Make sure everyone is numbed into complete subjugation. No reason to risk upward mobility. Sounds legit.

Now we're getting somewhere. Welfare traps the poors and creates dependency and broken families. Teach a man to hunt rather than give them an opossum.

I really think this could be an interesting discussion. I need to think on this. Can we drug test corporations that claim tax credits? Tax credits are like welfare, voluntarily claimed, coming from the gubmint...and since corporations are people...

I really think this could be an interesting discussion. I need to think on this. Can we drug test corporations that claim tax credits? Tax credits are like welfare, voluntarily claimed, coming from the gubmint...and since corporations are people...

Tax credits are not like welfare. Not taking something from you is not the same as giving you something. It is a very important distinction.

that seems like semantics to me. I could just argue that the government is just giving some of your money back, not "letting you keep it". They tax you at 25% and then give you some back. You still owed them 25% to begin with, you're just getting a 3% handout back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ONW
a bunch of self important douchebags arguing semantics

Generally everybody is too drunk to argue. The only exceptions are the two self-important douche bags who argue semantics to the point of getting in a fistfight and the ultra type-A female lawyer who gets shithouse blasted and then starts stripping.

that seems like semantics to me. I could just argue that the government is just giving some of your money back, not "letting you keep it". They tax you at 25% and then give you some back. You still owed them 25% to begin with, you're just getting a 3% handout back.

And you think that this is the same as giving someone who owed no tax 3% of someone else's income? Please reconsider this.

And you think that this is the same as giving someone who owed no tax 3% of someone else's income? Please reconsider this.

that's a different conversation. we're talking about attaching strings to recipients of federal dollars, businesses in particular. welfare/tax breaks...it's still giving money to someone at the expense of someone else.

that's a different conversation. we're talking about attaching strings to recipients of federal dollars, businesses in particular. welfare/tax breaks...it's still giving money to someone at the expense of someone else.

So I come to your house with some police and take $1000 from you and hand it to your neighbor. When you squawk, I tell you that I had originally intended to take $2000 from you, so in effect I gave $1000 to your neighbor and I gave a $1000 windfall tax credit to you. If you continued to squawk, I would probably have the police take $500 more from you as a 50% tax on your windfall. I hope you can see the difference between what happened to you here and what happened to your neighbor.

If that's a real holdup in the convo, we give plenty of handouts to businesses outside of tax breaks. $1 sale of land, stadiums, grants... can we drug test the owners of the Phoenix Coyotes? They get $15MM per year from the city of Glendale to operate their own company. (And most of those dudes are Canadian.)

So I come to your house with some police and take $1000 from you and hand it to your neighbor. When you squawk, I tell you that I had originally intended to take $2000 from you, so in effect I gave $1000 to your neighbor and I gave a $1000 windfall tax credit to you. If you continued to squawk, I would probably have the police take $500 more from you as a 50% tax on your windfall. I hope you can see the difference between what happened to you here and what happened to your neighbor.

Damn straight. Keep your mooching fingers off my money.

WITH A GUN

um, except the government is allowed to tax you. you're not allowed to steal money from me. try again.

um, except the government is allowed to tax you. you're not allowed to steal money from me. try again.

Whether I am an IRS agent doing this legally or a private citizen doing exactly the same think illegally, the point is that there is a big difference between what happened to you and what happened to your neighbor. Your neighbor got money. You got the shaft.

Its_a_trap.jpg

Whether I am an IRS agent doing this legally or a private citizen doing exactly the same think illegally, the point is that there is a big difference between what happened to you and what happened to your neighbor. Your neighbor got money. You got the shaft.

Exactly. When the government takes taxes from you it is basically armed robbery.

If that's a real holdup in the convo, we give plenty of handouts to businesses outside of tax breaks. $1 sale of land, stadiums, grants... can we drug test the owners of the Phoenix Coyotes? They get $15MM per year from the city of Glendale to operate their own company. (And most of those dudes are Canadian.)

Back on track, thanks Avalon. Let's not get caught up on the tax credit semantics only. When corporations who are given no strings attached "loans" to remain viable, should their employees be required to take mandatory drug tests like a welfare recipient?

Back