• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference USA Blowing Up Their BB Scheduling Process

CantStandYa

Reaction score
Won't playing each other cause more losses for teams that were already on the bubble?

Won't playing each other cause more losses for teams that were already on the bubble?

No you get more points in RPI and Sagarin for losing to a good team than beating a bad team. CUSA Schedule has really screwed us over thepastcouple of years as we could have been a bubble team but kept having to play teams at the bottom of the standings.

The one team at the bottom of the standings who is afraid to play us though is Wake Forest. I know you played us last year ina hotly contested game but in general you're chicken shit and won't usually play us in Halton Arena like last year. Why won't you play App State too ? You're program has fallen so far now that UNC won't even come to your second rate city to play you every year.

Here's how it works Mr. Karl.

What is the RPI?
The Rating Percentage Index (RPI) has been used by the NCAA men's basketball committee since 1981, and officially by the women's basketball committee since 1984, as supplemental data to help select at-large teams and seed all teams for the men's and women's NCAA basketball tournaments. The NCAA did not make the RPI available to member institutions and to the public in-season until the 2005-06 season, when it began doing so on a weekly basis in a bare-bones fashion. Before then, the data were kept confidential within the committees. Collegiate Basketball News duplicates the RPI that is generated by the NCAA to four decimal places using available formulas without input from the NCAA. The three component factors which make up the RPI are as follows:

Factor I is the team's Division I winning percentage and is 25 percent of the RPI. Games against non-Division I opponents are not included in the normal RPI. For the men, beginning in 2004-05, and for the women, beginning in 2011-12, home wins are weighted 0.6, neutral wins 1.0, and road wins count 1.4, and road losses are 0.6, neutral losses 1.0, and home losses 1.4.

Factor II is the team's opponents' Division I winning percentage, or the team's schedule strength, excluding results against the team in question. It is 50 percent of the RPI.

Factor III is the team's opponents' opponents' Division I winning percentage, or the team's opponents' strength of schedule, excluding results against the team in question. Factor III is 25 percent of the RPI.

No longer in use is Factor IV, which was the bonus/penalty portion of the RPI. It was used in conjunction with the above three Factors and was called the Adjusted RPI. it was used for the men from 1993-94 through 2003-04 and for the women from 1993-94 through 2010-11. Factor IV first started with the "normal" RPI as derived by Factors I, II and III above, and bonus and penalty points were then awarded in two different categories. The first was based on the team's non-conference schedule using the normal RPI ranking of the team's opponents. Bonus and penalty points in the second category were based upon winning games against top 50 teams in the RPI, and on losing to teams ranked lower than 150 in the RPI. Bonus and penalty points in the second category varied based upon the location of the game and were cumulative. A loss to a non-Division I team resulted in penalty points. The Adjusted RPI was first published in The RPI Report and The Women's RPI Report during the 1998-99 season.

Also:

mu120_2_ue080i.jpg

This is a little dated because it's from 2004, but I think the formula is basiclly the same.

No you get more points in RPI and Sagarin for losing to a good team than beating a bad team. CUSA Schedule has really screwed us over thepastcouple of years as we could have been a bubble team but kept having to play teams at the bottom of the standings.

The one team at the bottom of the standings who is afraid to play us though is Wake Forest. I know you played us last year ina hotly contested game but in general you're chicken shit and won't usually play us in Halton Arena like last year. Why won't you play App State too ? You're program has fallen so far now that UNC won't even come to your second rate city to play you every year.

Thanks, needed a good laugh on this Tuesday that feels like a Monday.....

As to the overall concept, seems pretty forward-thinking. I'm sure seeing a Middle Tennessee State team that was a quality at-large candidate get left out of the NCAA Tournament after getting upset in the quarterfinals of their conference tournament was one factor in trying a new scheduling concept.

This won't change it. When it gets down to the last few spots. losing in the quarterfinals of a bad conference will still keep you out vs. a P6 school. They may say, "it was a tough decision", but you still won't get in.

This won't change it. When it gets down to the last few spots. losing in the quarterfinals of a bad conference will still keep you out vs. a P6 school. They may say, "it was a tough decision", but you still won't get in.

I bet you $20 you're wrong.

You can dream all you want, but playing teams in a mediocre league will not help. Some leagues simply don't get as many bids as others and it won't change appreciably until they beat good teams.

As to bets, I don't make them with posters as I've had more not pay me than pay me. I've seen a thread started calling me a welcher hours AFTER the person had the money. It's not worth it.

I'd rather put money in others' pockets like I do one Derby Day, Preakness, etc.

You can dream all you want, but playing teams in a mediocre league will not help. Some leagues simply don't get as many bids as others and it won't change appreciably until they beat good teams.

As to bets, I don't make them with posters as I've had more not pay me than pay me. I've seen a thread started calling me a welcher hours AFTER the person had the money. It's not worth it.

I'd rather put money in others' pockets like I do one Derby Day, Preakness, etc.

that's because you lose bets.

That's very very very magnamainous of you and I understand if you refuse to take the bet as it would be kinda hard to prove anyway. I don't understand why someone would do that to you if they got the money. Very petty.

But how are we (Charlotte) not supposed to get screwed by the committee and the RPI people? Especially when we can't get upper level teams in the ACC and the SEC to come to play us in our small arena that is very diffiicult on opposing teams? I would love to watch Kentucky fall apart at Halton Arena.

Back