• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
trump is an idiot and gutting the pandemic response team was really stupid and shortsighted

however, unless I am completely misunderstanding the current situation, China was (is?) deceptive regarding the severity of the outbreak, and I don't think there is much the US could have done to have the globe in a better place right now - the outbreak was going to spread throughout China and cross the border, and we can't have vaccines at the ready for a virus we don't know anything about

in other words, even with best efforts from the US, this virus was going to get out of control within China and elsewhere, and it was/is going to arrive on our shores

now, do I feel any remote shred of confidence that Trump will orchestrate anything approaching an effective response? of course not

I mean, it would be nice to already have a team in place working on this thing

One of the main goals in global public health is capacity building in other countries. Even as an economic rival the US CDC has a team embedded within CDC China for cooperation (this team was completely frozen out of this outbreak response) while you can point to China and say what could be done and the answer is not much, what would be nice is having the people in place to already respond, and this includes in other countries. You know when you don’t need to use John Hopkins outbreak mapping, when you have pandemic response resident advisors in countries already feeding you real time information. In a global pandemic where everything is connected you do yourself well to help reduce total global disease burden because it helps reduce your in country disease burden, it’s like trickled down effect that actually works. So there is how gutting everything directly impacts this response.

was the logic for gutting the team just cost savings or we're the US and not some disease-ridden country so we don't need the resources/shouldn't be helping disease-ridden shitholes?

One of the main goals in global public health is capacity building in other countries. Even as an economic rival the US CDC has a team embedded within CDC China for cooperation (this team was completely frozen out of this outbreak response) while you can point to China and say what could be done and the answer is not much, what would be nice is having the people in place to already respond, and this includes in other countries. You know when you don’t need to use John Hopkins outbreak mapping, when you have pandemic response resident advisors in countries already feeding you real time information. In a global pandemic where everything is connected you do yourself well to help reduce total global disease burden because it helps reduce your in country disease burden, it’s like trickled down effect that actually works. So there is how gutting everything directly impacts this response.

previously you said

...it’s easier to stop things before they get out of control and before they arrive on our shores

I'm saying that for this particular situation, the US as configured under any past administration was not going to stop things before they got out of control and before they arrive on our shores

was the logic for gutting the team just cost savings or we're the US and not some disease-ridden country so we don't need the resources/shouldn't be helping disease-ridden shitholes?

Have to pay for the 1% tax cuts somehow.

have to make way for Private solutions so we can pay more for worse service

Is infowars selling cure pills yet? I heard bottled liberal tears wards off all disease.

Trump has been cutting regulatory and public safety programs across the board. Last month they raised the allowable levels of arsenic in drinking water to help the coal industry (or something like that) and they have made major cut backs to food inspection over the last three years....just because. The CDC pandemic response team is just one more thing that they thought we didn’t need, so they cut it.

Is infowars selling cure pills yet? I heard bottled liberal tears wards off all disease.

They sell Superblue nano silver to kill *any* ill.

When they sold colloidal silver, they talked crap about nano silver.

When will Trump toadies learn they can never be loyal enough to fend off criticism from the right? Rod did plenty to help protect Trump and now they’re going after his sister for doing her damn job.

FCjb7Dy.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back