• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US, in large part due to the inability to test, has had absolutely RAMPANT community spread for weeks now. There's no way it's less than Italy had and it's likely it's much more like Iran has had.

And the Italian healthcare system is much better prepared to handle this than the US. Italy has more doctors per person than almost any country in the world, and has considerably more hospital beds per person than the US does. There's also a very qualified and competent health administration in place with far more federal power than in the US (of note - even Italy's far right wing parties have backed all measures to fight this).

The US, if the warming weather doesn't save us, might end looking a lot more like Iran than Italy. That's fucking scary, because what's happened in Italy is truly awful.

One (small) positive is that while it's true that Italy has more hospital beds per capita than the US, the US has more ICU beds, which may be the more important metric. Still a real concern our intensive care system could be overwhelmed.

I feel like either he warmer weather will dramatically slow transmission, or the US is in serious trouble

I provided facts. You provided bad math and name calling. Really not constructive buddy.

Our leadership won’t order anything shutdown that would hurt the economy, nor his vanity campaign rallies and your math leads you to believe things will be better in the US?

I provided facts. You provided bad math and name calling. Really not constructive buddy.

Here's some constructive math.

age difference - Italy 22% over 65, US 16% over 65

This study from Wuhan shows 28.8% of patients over 65 progressed to "severe", while 13.9% of pre-65 patients progressed to "severe".

Using those numbers, 17.1% of Italian patients should be expected to be "severe" ((22% * 28.8%) + (78% * 13.9%)). The U.S. number is 16.3% of overall patients ((16% * 28.8%) + (84% * 13.9%))

so, based on age alone, Italy's risk of a severe case is roughly 5.5% higher (17.1%/16.3% = 105.5%)

Smokers:

using the same math, with smoker/non-smoker data from the study and including "former smokers" as "Smokers", the smoking risk adjustment is 4.2%

There is some overlap in the U.S. between smokers and age, but for simplicity, the adjustment for those two factors is roughly 10%.

If you take northern Italy's experience and adjust it downward 10%, it's still a very, very bleak picture.

Again, it's all about reducing transmission rates, and the theory that this will decline just like the flu is just that - a theory

Last edited:
Our leadership won’t order anything shutdown that would hurt the economy, nor his vanity campaign rallies and your math leads you to believe things will be better in the US?

MAGA olds better get used to fist bumping and washing their hands, i guess

MAGA olds better get used to fist bumping and washing their hands, i guess

giphy.gif

Trump tells reporters "I've been briefed on every contingency you could possibly imagine" on coronavirus. "Many contingencies. A lot of positive, different numbers, all different numbers. Very large numbers. And some small numbers too."

imagine how efficient he and his staff are to review every conceivable contingency

i wonder how much time they spent delving into the "Fantastic Voyage" scenario

Trump tells reporters "I've been briefed on every contingency you could possibly imagine" on coronavirus. "Many contingencies. A lot of positive, different numbers, all different numbers. Very large numbers. And some small numbers too."

It reminds me of this, tbh:

Lolz. You know he spent most of those briefings thinking about his golf scores or ways that all this could damage him politically or personally. I simply don't think he's capable of focusing on anything for any length of time. It's likely all just gibberish to him anyway.

I thought Trump told us last night we’d taken the historic step of closing our borders

the current policy is on the CDC website; I don't know how it has evolved over the last month or so

In summary:

Foreign nationals who have visited China or Iran in the past 14 days may not enter the United States.
American citizens, lawful permanent residents, and their families who have been in China or Iran in the past 14 days will be allowed to enter the United States, but will be redirected to one of 11 airports to undergo health screening. Depending on their health and travel history, they will have some level of restrictions on their movements for 14 days from the time they left China or Iran.
If you are in the second group above and are traveling to the United States:

Your travel will be redirected to one of 11 U.S. airports where CDC has quarantine stations.
You will be asked about your health and travel.
Your health will be screened for fever, cough, or trouble breathing.
Depending on your health and travel history:

You will have some restrictions on your movement for a period of 14 days from the time you left China or Iran.
These actions are being taken to protect your health, the health of other travelers and the health of U.S. communities.

the current policy is on the CDC website; I don't know how it has evolved over the last month or so

The current CDC eval guidelines including China, Iran, Italy, Japan and South Korea.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201.../coronavirus/2019-ncov/clinical-criteria.html

As availability of diagnostic testing for COVID-19 increases, clinicians will be able to access laboratory tests for diagnosing COVID-19 through clinical laboratories performing tests authorized by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). Clinicians will also be able to access laboratory testing through public health laboratories in their jurisdictions.

This expands testing to a wider group of symptomatic patients. Clinicians should use their judgment to determine if a patient has signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 and whether the patient should be tested. Decisions on which patients receive testing should be based on the local epidemiology of COVID-19, as well as the clinical course of illness. Most patients with confirmed COVID-19 have developed fever1 and/or symptoms of acute respiratory illness (e.g., cough, difficulty breathing). Clinicians are strongly encouraged to test for other causes of respiratory illness, including infections such as influenza.

Epidemiologic factors that may help guide decisions on whether to test include: any persons, including healthcare workers2, who have had close contact3 with a laboratory-confirmed4 COVID-19 patient within 14 days of symptom onset, or a history of travel from affected geographic areas5 (see below) within 14 days of symptom onset.

International Areas with Sustained (Ongoing) Transmission
Last updated February 28, 2020

China (Level 3 Travel Health Notice)
Iran (Level 3 Travel Health Notice)
Italy (Level 3 Travel Health Notice)
Japan (Level 2 Travel Health Notice)
South Korea (Level 3 Travel Health Notice)

From the Dean:

Dear Chairs and Program Directors,

Please begin immediately to work with all teaching faculty and graduate students who are TAs/TFs in your department/program to plan how to complete courses this term if the University decides that courses should be delivered from an off-campus location

here we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back