• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cory Hems commits to South Carolina

did he really commit or just decide where to transfer?

Honestly, if you're not happy at a school (for football, social, or academic reasons), I have no problem with a transfer. But it seems like helms just used wake and the opportunity it gave him (as well as his teammates) as a stepping stone. Similar situation to Cav.

hated to see him leave, but life goes on......
hopefully, in a few years, we will hardly remember this episode

Honestly, if you're not happy at a school (for football, social, or academic reasons), I have no problem with a transfer. But it seems like helms just used wake and the opportunity it gave him (as well as his teammates) as a stepping stone. Similar situation to Cav.
Don't see how this compares to Tyler Cavenaugh.

I guess it really doesn't. Just reminded me of his quote that he wanted to transfer to a team that could compete for a championship. It just reeks of "forget you guys, I'm better than this."

He was pretty highly recruited out of HS. Per ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/138389/cory-helms) he had offers from Florida and Wisconsin. I am guessing he was not cutting it in the classroom (timing of his transfer would align with this).

Maybe he felt Wake wasn't giving him everything he could handle academically and that South Carolina would be a superior school?

I think Helms and his family had a close relationship with Jim Grobe and his staff and may not have felt that much loyalty to the new coaching staff.

I think Helms and his family had a close relationship with Jim Grobe and his staff and may not have felt that much loyalty to the new coaching staff.

Losing Himebauch was a big one for Cory. We had to expected some unexpected's to leave. It's what happens when a new staff comes in. The guy didn't want to be part of a rebuilding project. Wouldn't say the odds are in our favor to be bowling in either of the next two years - his last two. Wish him the best and move on.

His best friend is staying.

" The guy didn't want to be part of a rebuilding project."

Guess he wanted to go down with the ship rather than catch the life raft? He will be comfortable with an underachieving coach who is retiring in place.

" The guy didn't want to be part of a rebuilding project."

Guess he wanted to go down with the ship rather than catch the life raft? He will be comfortable with an underachieving coach who is retiring in place.

Take the black and gold glasses off for a minute.

Option A: play for a school coming off a 3 win season who just lost its best 2 players, with no offensive playmakers, a small hope to win, and a coach you didn't commit to who is known for tearing it down and building it up.

Option B: a school coming off 4 straight bowl victories that plays in the SEC, and is 3 hours closer to home.

I'm a Deacon until I die, but don't act like he didn't think about the above.

Back