• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cost To Attend WF Increases to Over $60K: Rafi all about FACTS (except concerning RW)

Yikes. If I stay at my current job my not yet existent kids will be going to UVA or Bill and Mary. MSD has priced itself out of most folks price range

Schools are increasing tuition for people who can afford and those people subsidize those who can't afford it.
the people that get squeezed are the people that can kind of afford it

What's really BS is the room and board. Wake's room and board seem absurdly high and iirc they make you live on campus for 3 years.

Last edited:
Google Yale suing students over student loans. *This is happening everywhere in at "certain" schools on a much larger scale. *

What is happening, the complete financial mis-management of the university in the 90s/00s is coming to the forefront. *It was a period of nepotism and conceit by the university on all fronts. *No major capital campaigns, a massively under qualified team running the endowment into the ground and growth without anyone capable of understanding the long term impact. *Remember this parallel; Greenspan was a prophet, until he wasn't. *

Lastly, according to the internal statistics the death of the middle class at Wake is widely exaggerated. *The hardest hit are actually the upper middle class (doctors, lawyers and accountants kids). *

Not that it makes a huge difference, but tuition is actually going to be $44,200. The $60K is the estimated overall costs with room, board, etc.

Yes, I was shocked by the apparent 50% increase in tuition until I actually read the article.

Schools are increasing tuition for people who can afford and those people subsidize those who can't afford it.
the people that get squeezed are the people that can kind of afford it

What's really BS is the room and board. Wake's room and board seem absurdly high and iirc they make you live on campus for 3 years.

This. The wealthy and the "poor" manage. Those in the middle go elsewhere.

Obviously, $44,000 is an absurd number for tuition, but its the sad reality of private school tuition these days. A brief search shows that Wake, Duke, Vandy, Davidson and Furman (to name several private schools in our region that Wake competes against) all have tuitions over $40,000. It appears that Wake is the first to establish what next year's tuition will be, but its 2012/13 tuition was nearly identical to Duke's and Vandy's even though Vandy only raised tuition by 1.9% last year.)

I graduated in '03 and my parents couldn't have afforded to send me to WFU without the scholarships that I received. Sadly, my kids will need to get scholarships for me to be able to afford it as well. Even if the overall costs only increase by 4% per year. By the time that my 5 year old is ready to attend, the overall costs will be over $100,000 per year for her Freshman year.:noidea:

The Student Loan Bubble with Charts:

20120928_coll1.png

20120928_coll2.png

20120928_coll3_0.png

20120928_coll4.png

20120928_coll5.png

20120928_coll6.png

20120928_coll7.png

20120928_coll8.png

20120928_coll9.png

20120928_coll10.png

20120928_coll11.png

20120928_coll12.png

20120928_coll13.png

20120928_coll15.png

20120928_coll16.png

20120928_coll17.png

20120928_coll18.png

20120928_coll19.png

Obviously, $44,000 is an absurd number for tuition, but its the sad reality of private school tuition these days. A brief search shows that Wake, Duke, Vandy, Davidson and Furman (to name several private schools in our region that Wake competes against) all have tuitions over $40,000. It appears that Wake is the first to establish what next year's tuition will be, but its 2012/13 tuition was nearly identical to Duke's and Vandy's even though Vandy only raised tuition by 1.9% last year.)

I graduated in '03 and my parents couldn't have afforded to send me to WFU without the scholarships that I received. Sadly, my kids will need to get scholarships for me to be able to afford it as well. Even if the overall costs only increase by 4% per year. By the time that my 5 year old is ready to attend, the overall costs will be over $100,000 per year for her Freshman year.:noidea:

This. Maybe Vandy is setting the tone that the rest of us can start to follow.

OGBDeacon, do you have a link to those charts? Great stuff.

Chart 20 is particularly scary. Bachelor's degrees are on the wrong side of the education gap.

In a press release earlier this week, Katie Neal, executive director of news and communication, stressed that the administration has kept recent tuition increases under four percent the last two years. “The decision reflects a determined effort to keep tuition increases low,” the statement said.
I wish I got a 4% raise the past few years. My income's been in lockstep with our kenpom rating.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but tuition is actually going to be $44,200. The $60K is the estimated overall costs with room, board, etc.

Correct, but I think some infer all costs under the umbrella term 'tuition' in everyday vernacular.

Regardless, the three year residency requirement will compound the financial strain that some will face (and deter others from coming to Wake, period).

OGBDeacon, do you have a link to those charts? Great stuff.

Chart 20 is particularly scary. Bachelor's degrees are on the wrong side of the education gap.

Eventually there should be some degree in-between high school and undergrad.
Something that approximates "core educational requirements" but doesn't have the "stigma" of community college (i.e. it would be standard for everyone to do this) and then if you choose to go further you would have undergrad. The undergrad would be more focused and theoretically you'd be better able to provide value in the workforce thus the expense of college would be more worthwhile.

So an associate's degree that doesn't take place in a community college? That would be redundant. In fact, more community colleges are adding bachelor's degrees than the other way around. That's one way to manage costs, but students sacrifice prestige to do it.

Otherwise, you've described what is happening in areas with a community college and university. Community college has become "Grade 13". Student take care of core requirements at the local community college then go to a university to complete a major.

Back