• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could you donate biological reproductive material?

DieHardDeacon

Reaction score
Could you donate reproductive material (sperm / egg)?
If so, would it have to be anonymous or someone you know?
Would you seek to be financially compensated for it?
Would it have to be someone that you would have to approve of (no gays, no singles, etc)?
Would it be a one shot deal or would you be willing to do it multiple times?
Would you want to know the outcome?
For female posters, would you consider surrogacy (gestational or traditional)?
Also. What is your gender?

ETA: Age

Last edited:
Could you donate reproductive material (sperm / egg)?
yes
If so, would it have to be anonymous or someone you know?
either is ok
Would you seek to be financially compensated for it?
i mean, if someone wants to pay for a half-itk baby i am sure i would cash the check. if not, they would have to pay for all medical expenses related to getting my egg.
Would it have to be someone that you would have to approve of (no gays, no singles, etc)? yes, but my only requirement is not crazy
Would it be a one shot deal or would you be willing to do it multiple times? i think they can take multiple eggs at once. i would probably only do it once.
Would you want to know the outcome? yes
For female posters, would you consider surrogacy (gestational or traditional)? fuck no
Also. What is your gender? female

My answers.

trap.jpg

No trap...and yes, when they hyperstimulate for egg retrieval, they do retrieve multiple eggs. Chances of a successful live birth from frozen embryo are greatly reduced however.

My thought was more, "if 4 years later you were contacted to do another cycle to provide a full sibling, would you?

One shot deal? No, I think I could give them several samples if they give me a few minutes in between.

Seriously though, I would do it. I'd like to get compensated for it. Don't think I would really want to know how things turned out and honestly I don't think there would be any persons I would refuse to donate to. I think I would prefer it be anonymous; knowing the person carrying my offspring would be kind of awkward.

No trap...and yes, when they hyperstimulate for egg retrieval, they do retrieve multiple eggs. Chances of a successful live birth from frozen embryo are greatly reduced however.

My thought was more, "if 4 years later you were contacted to do another cycle to provide a full sibling, would you?

DHD, I'd do it but only if you were okay with the kid becoming really really good looking and incredibly successful.

Here is the back story: as most of you are aware, I had my son via anonymous egg donation and a gestational surrogate. So with Mothers Day being tomorrow, the emphasis of family (and in my mind both biological and implied) is important. We will contact our surrogate (she lives in Charlotte) and we do keep in contact with her regulalrly but I often wonder about the thoughts of the anonymous egg donor (she lived in the Orlando area) as I did give permission to the egg donation agency to disclose that there was a live birth and that the child is a male a few years ago. It's one of those things that I want her to know what a wonderful gift she gave. After seeing the movie "The Kids Are Alright", it made me think of reproduction donation. I'm sure my son may want to know who she is at some point in life, and I'm good with that.

I really couldn't, though. In all seriousness. Of course, I'd consider if it was to a family that couldn't conceive otherwise. Then, I could probably consider it... Just lots of ethical implications/personal guilt complexes that would really mess with my head, regardless.

Donate egg- yes. Surrogate- no. I don't even think I could foster a dog without keeping it, I can't imagine growing a child... But egg donation is something I've considered, I'd just want to be absolutely certain it wouldn't harm my own chances of being able to conceive.

Interesting thread. I wouldn't do any of those myself because I'm a carrier for a genetic disease that I'd never want to pass on -- which is largely why we chose to adopt. Without that barrier, though, I think I would have been willing to provide eggs when I was younger, preferably to someone I knew, without payment. I would want to know the outcome, though. I don't think I could be a surrogate, though. I think surrogates are very special women.

Could you donate reproductive material (sperm / egg)? Yes
If so, would it have to be anonymous or someone you know? Either
Would you seek to be financially compensated for it? I would want at least medical stuff paid for. If I was doing it anonymously I probably would do it for money if anything just as a way to feel like it was a more legit "transaction"
Would it have to be someone that you would have to approve of (no gays, no singles, etc)? I would have to feel like they could be a good parent. To me that has nothing to do with sexual orientation or status, just that they have common sense and could raise a child.
Would it be a one shot deal or would you be willing to do it multiple times? If I had decided not to have kids or was finished having my own children I'd do it as much as possible as long as my health allowed.
Would you want to know the outcome? Definitely as far as the child being okay and general information. Probably more but I don't know if I would insist.
For female posters, would you consider surrogacy (gestational or traditional)? ​If I were single, absolutely. In the back of my mind my plan if anything were to happen to the hubs is to be a surrogate and/or join the army.

I'm 25 and female.

DHD - do you think you'll want another child some day?

Originally I did, hence why I had the agency contact my donor about doing another cycle. As of now and that I'm getting older and it's just me, I'm very content with it being just him (he just turned 5 this past week). He is more independent, out of diapers, doesn't wet the bed and just more an individual and it would be hard going back. He has asked a few times for a baby brother but I don't think it's gonna happen. I have changed my dating to where I prefer to date a guy that is a parent just because they seem to get that life is different when you have someone depending on you - just can't go out and do whatever you want, when you want.

Originally I did, hence why I had the agency contact my donor about doing another cycle. As of now and that I'm getting older and it's just me, I'm very content with it being just him (he just turned 5 this past week). He is more independent, out of diapers, doesn't wet the bed and just more an individual and it would be hard going back. He has asked a few times for a baby brother but I don't think it's gonna happen. I have changed my dating to where I prefer to date a guy that is a parent just because they seem to get that life is different when you have someone depending on you - just can't go out and do whatever you want, when you want.

Proving once and for all there is no difference between gay and straight parents... I kid, but you know... not really. Went through a loooooooooooooooooong dry spell after my divorce, my kids are too important to just date anyone. (It really sucked, but there it is.)

Back