• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

What’s the point of ramping up if there is no distribution network? You’re just going to have vaccines going to waste.

I think once there is a concrete plan in place there will be a jump in production.

Is there actually a supply problem? Aren’t most states still hovering around 20-40% distribution of the doses they’ve received?

I thought the whole point of Warp Speed committing to these huge funding dollars up front was so that the vaccine manufacturers could make a ton of doses before approval. Disappointing that we are still in the “ramp up” phase of production. I’m not very knowledgeable on the specifics though so there could very well be legitimate factors around the delay. Or maybe the distribution is more of the issue.

I am disappointed too. My gut tells me that the two companies approved for EUAs hedged their bets before the EUAs were approved and ran into supply/labor/unexpected issues since then. Another problem is that a significant amount of health-related first responders have outright refused to take the vaccine, which has led to governors asking to move into later phases which have more people in them. For example, phase 1a in SC is roughly 350k, and opening it up to all residents 65 and up like the cdc recommended last week would add another 500k people.

What’s the point of ramping up if there is no distribution network? You’re just going to have vaccines going to waste.

I think once there is a concrete plan in place there will be a jump in production.

South Carolina has cold storage capacity for storing 2 million of the two vaccines today. They're getting 60k a week. Definitely a supply issue in my state!

Is there actually a supply problem? Aren’t most states still hovering around 20-40% distribution of the doses they’ve received?

SC has put 68% of the Pfizer vaccines it has received into arms. Moderna vaccines are controlled by the feds in a more complicated, rigid structure that targets nursing home residents and the staff of those homes. I have read that Moderna vaccines are now or will soon be making their way into the same channels that received the pfizer vaccines so here's hoping they are used more efficiently.

New York Times has SC at 35% of doses used, is the Moderna vaccine rollout that slow?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html?referringSource=articleShare

NYT is just using CDC Vaccination Data, which is usually slow and that particular info hasn't been updated since Jan 15th.

Here is SCDHEC's data, which reports that we have used 132,222 Pfizer doses alone (more than what the NYT is reporting) plus another 26,009 Moderna doses.

SCDHEC claims we've only received 313,100 doses compared to the 350k reported by the CDC. Because SCDHEC seems to have a pretty firm grasp on all things Pfizer, it's reasonable to assume that the missing/unaccounted for 37k of doses are Moderna. I have no idea why.

As far as it being slow, definitely. I have spoken to a few pharmacists working for either CVS or Walgreens and they were each booked to go to nursing homes until the end of March, and that was a few weeks ago. I understand that they have to do their actual jobs, but that is way too slow and they need help. We need everyone in a nursing home that wants a shot to have it within a month.

I'm pretty shocked how long 'the line' is.

I had my 70 year-old father start calling the moment Guilford Co. lowered the eligibility age to 65.

His first shot is scheduled for February 18th.

I believe that it's better that we have a supply problem rather than a lack of demand one, especially among the older population. We need as many people vaccinated as possible. It's easier to make more vaccines than it is to convince more people to take them, imo.

fwiw, he just got moved from Feb 18th to Jan 20th. Go figure.

Not sure why people are surprised that big business dealing with the dolt 45 administration would be less than truthful about the situation assuming there would be no repercussions if wrong.

Last edited:
Are any shots getting tossed at the end of the day? If so, how many? If they are throwing some away nightly, they need to just open it up to anybody so they get used.

Are any shots getting tossed at the end of the day? If so, how many? If they are throwing some away nightly, they need to just open it up to anybody so they get used.

Definitely happening. I've seen many anecdotes of people throwing away vaccines because they don't want to get reprimanded by the states with the harsher penalties rather than give them to somebody willing to take them.

I thought the whole point of Warp Speed committing to these huge funding dollars up front was so that the vaccine manufacturers could make a ton of doses before approval. Disappointing that we are still in the “ramp up” phase of production. I’m not very knowledgeable on the specifics though so there could very well be legitimate factors around the delay. Or maybe the distribution is more of the issue.

How naive can you be? Operation Warp Speed was an effort to get Star Trek gear for free.

giphy.gif

Definitely happening. I've seen many anecdotes of people throwing away vaccines because they don't want to get reprimanded by the states with the harsher penalties rather than give them to somebody willing to take them.

Where have you seen these anecdotes? I only now what is going on around me, but it isn't even a consideration that some could get thrown out. That seems absurd.

Where have you seen these anecdotes? I only now what is going on around me, but it isn't even a consideration that some could get thrown out. That seems absurd.

"Across New York State, medical providers in recent weeks had the same story: They had been forced to throw out precious vaccine doses because of difficulties finding patients who matched precisely with the state’s strict vaccination guidelines — and the steep penalties they would face had they made a mistake."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/nyregion/new-york-vaccine-guidelines.html

"Dozens of doses earmarked for two hospitals in Portland, Oregon, were thrown away when officials couldn’t round up enough health care workers to get the shots before the vaccines expired."

"And in Ohio, three dozen doses landed in the garbage after a nursing home in Lawrence County overestimated the number of vaccines it needed, forcing the pharmacists administering the shots to search for takers."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...garbage-because-fed-state-guidelines-n1254364

"This comes as TMZ reported last week that a Southern California clinic tossed 150 unused vials "that were about to spoil." TMZ explained in its report that a large number of people with appointments at the said clinic wound up being no-shows, leaving the clinic with the unused vaccines."

https://www.foxla.com/news/allegations-of-unused-vaccines-being-tossed-prompt-outrage

Back