• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crazy lineups

Manning needs to work hard to find the optimal lineup for getting Dinos the ball in position to shoot. He's just too much of an offensive weapon with a unique skillset for this team (3 point shooting) and typically a defensive liability to not focus the offense on getting him open shots when he's in the game.

This.

Dinos has a lot of "dead" time on the floor where he's not really involved in the offense. I'd rather see Dinos play around 18 minutes a game and make him either the #1 or #2 option every time down the floor.

This.

Dinos has a lot of "dead" time on the floor where he's not really involved in the offense. I'd rather see Dinos play around 18 minutes a game and make him either the #1 or #2 option every time down the floor.

Devin should be the #1 option anytime he is on the court. Make the other team play defense on him first and foremost. Not many teams have a single player who can handle Devin. Next, if Dinos is on the court, getting him an open three is probably the next best scoring option for Wake.

Yep, feed the beast inside and only after that inside touch, then pass out for the perimeter looks from three. We got this! :thumbsup:

Dinos does serve a role when he's out there even if he isn't on one of his hot hooting streaks. There is so much more space offensively in the paint when he's out there with DT than when JC and DT are paired together. It makes it harder for the 2nd opposing big to help on DT when he gets the ball down low and it makes it a lot easier for the guards to attack the paint.

The playing time from last night is as follows: CMM 36, DT 33, Dinos 30, Crawford 26, Hudson 25, MW 21, Watson 13, Collins 10, McClinton 3, Moore 3.

I liked it. We wore State out last night with our overall rotations. Got them into foul trouble. Basketball is a game of runs, especially with the 3 point shot and the 30 second shot clock, so using our 10 man rotation is smart. We fouled out Anya and Barber, Martin & Abu each had 4 fouls. If we just make our FT's down the stretch, it is not even close.

I liked it. We wore State out last night with our overall rotations. Got them into foul trouble. Basketball is a game of runs, especially with the 3 point shot and the 30 second shot clock, so using our 10 man rotation is smart. We fouled out Anya and Barber, Martin & Abu each had 4 fouls. If we just make our FT's down the stretch, it is not even close.

Barber didn't foul out. He got his 3rd foul with 40 seconds left in the game. He played all 40 minutes.

Apparently our team must think it's a rule that you must allow your opponent an equal run after your own run.

Most Bizzare lineups I've ever seen. Manning lets the other coach dictate his lineups. Manning doesn't appear to have a clue.

Did not think the lineups were that crazy today. Just thought he was trying to find someone who would stay with Cooney all of the time and a set of guards that would not throw the ball away against their zone. Unfortunately, there was no combination that worked. I thought Wilbekin passed up a fair number of open shots against the zone early in the clock trying to work for a better shot. If he and Dinos have a look early, they probably need to take the shot.

After the game was effectively over the line-ups really did not matter. Crawford needs to get his head out of his ass and just play. If he did not have a propensity to turn the ball over, he would never come out of the game and it would not matter who was on the court with him. With Codi back, he is going the bench when her throws it away.

When Greg McClinton is the biggest guy on the court with 4 guards, it means Manning has no fucking clue what to do with his team. You can pick coaching or players to blame, but still no fucking clue to do with what he has.

When Greg McClinton is the biggest guy on the court with 4 guards, it means Manning has no fucking clue what to do with his team. You can pick coaching or players to blame, but still no fucking clue to do with what he has.

Exactly. We didn't have a post defender and they went inside immediately for layups and dunks. Instead of being down 10 at the half, we fell to 20 behind during that 5 minute stretch. It was more than a head scratcher.

I think with that line up Manning was trying to send a message but he appears clueless what that message is, really think he may be over his head.

That was the most ridiculous lineup I've ever seen in any game. It was for about the last 5 minutes of the 1st half and effectively ended the game. Very fortunate coaches don't need malpractice insurance. I hope he was trying to send a message no matter how stupid that message was, because if he wasn't and he put that lineup on the floor then they might as well start the search now.

Posted this on wrong thread, but here is my take on what our rotation should resemble.

Starters and rotation needs to be:
PG-Crawford/Codi/Mitch
SG-Mitch/Hudson/Rondale/Codi
F-Hudson/Collins(situational)/G-Mac
F-Devin/Dinos/Collins
C-Doral/Devin/Dinos

This is Crawford and Devin's team at this point. I still think Dinos needs to get minutes over Collins until JC figures out how to play defense without fouling. Collins needs to find 15 mpg though. Doral Moore has upside that we haven't had at the Center position in a very long time. He needs to start and play as much as he can while staying out of foul Trouble. Shift Devin to center and Collins/Dinos to the 4 like we've been doing when Doral needs rest or is in foul trouble. Keep plugging and chugging Mitch, Hudson depending on the opposition, and use Rondale and Codi for defensive purposes and to spell the starters. I doubt this is how it'll go, but in my opinion this is our best rotation to give us a chance to win games.

That was the most ridiculous lineup I've ever seen in any game. It was for about the last 5 minutes of the 1st half and effectively ended the game. Very fortunate coaches don't need malpractice insurance. I hope he was trying to send a message no matter how stupid that message was, because if he wasn't and he put that lineup on the floor then they might as well start the search now.

Have to agree with this! I was completely stunned with that lineup on the floor. Made zero sense and it absolutely ended the game for us. When you have Van Horn, McClinton and Watson together on the floor for extended minutes, it better be because you are up 20+ or the rest of the team fouled out. I want Manning to succeed so badly, but I do not think he was ready for ACC level coaching. He is appears in over his head.

Agree...he's either over his head or has a serious case of basketball Attention Deficit Disorder

Except that we actually pulled Devin with 2:19 left at 39-25 after they moved Lydon to center. McClinton on Lydon was a normal matchup and we put 4 guards on their 4 guards. Traded buckets first possession, McClinton missed his rotation and gave up a dunk then Codi just dropped a pass for a wide open layup. Then Codi and Crawford let a guard split their double team for a layup, Van Horn missed a wide open, nobody within 10 feet of him 3 pointer, then Codi gave up another blow by and Van Horn fouled. Manning then benched Codi and Crawford for Watson and Hudson, and Watson missed a 3 to end the half.

So the 4 guard squads made a layup, blew an open layup, missed a wide open 3, and missed another 3 with the half winding down. On defense they gave up 4 points on double teams and 4 points on dribble drives. Net -6 points with 3 great shot opportunities and one mediocre shot attempt, plus no 3rd foul for Devin. If you put Moore or Collins in they're guarding Lydon who hit 2 threes already - and it's not like we were in position to start dictating matchups.

From a coaching standpoint it generated 3 wide open looks on 4 possessions offensively and we matched up well defensively. Sometimes players simply don't perform. This was an epic case of players underperforming. Not to mention 6 points didn't "effectively end" anything.

If you are looking for the simpletons on the board look no further than those harping on the lineups. We have the players that we have. Our roster does not allow us to have ideal lineups at all times. I am not saying I can explain every lineup we have put out there, but that is a pretty inconsequential factor in the big picture. In retrospect, some of the early PT Manning was giving makes a lot more sense as we have learned more about the players/team, as well as considering setting a tone that talent alone does not get you unlimited minutes. Even our best players have to keep working hard to earn minutes. That is how we reach our ceiling. I think Manning seems pretty thoughtful in his lineups. You may disagree with it, but he seems to have a plan. I chuckle when people say he is in over his head because of lineups. It's laughable that people think that they are recognizing issues that Manning doesn't understand. I think it is much more likely that he is considering a host of issues we don't and that leads him to decide differently than we might. He's not infallible because he is the coach, and he is not always right just because he know more than us. However, he is not the bumbling idiot some (few) are claiming.
He's managing our lineup in a way that Rondale Watson is providing meaningful contributions. His management of the lineups isn't the issue. Our roster does need to improve.

We have the players we have but some are clearly better than others. I'd rather see Crawford try to work his way through a bad game than see lesser players try to duplicate his potential production.

[QUOTE=DCDeac;2333824]Except that we actually pulled Devin with 2:19 left at 39-25 after they moved Lydon to center. McClinton on Lydon was a normal matchup and we put 4 guards on their 4 guards. Traded buckets first possession, McClinton missed his rotation and gave up a dunk then Codi just dropped a pass for a wide open layup. Then Codi and Crawford let a guard split their double team for a layup, Van Horn missed a wide open, nobody within 10 feet of him 3 pointer, then Codi gave up another blow by and Van Horn fouled. Manning then benched Codi and Crawford for Watson and Hudson, and Watson missed a 3 to end the half.

Sure, it was a great coaching move. Going from 14 down to 20 down at the half effectively ended the game. Everyone around me was hoping to just get it under double digits by the half until that great lineup was put on the floor. Did Syracuse take a shot outside of two feet during that stretch? You actually seem surprised all of those things happened with those players.

Last edited:
Back