• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crazy weather

WFU71

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
The weird weather changes we've had recently bring to mind the only recorded tornado in Roanoke, VA history. Today marks the 50th anniversary of that event. I think I posted about it some years ago in another thread, but here's what I recall:

I was dating a pretty, but somewhat crazy gal who claimed she was a witch. She looked like a prettier Morticia Adams and was usually dressed in black. She even had a black cat. We spent the night of April 3rd at my apartment and were awakened around 4AM by the unmistakable roar of a tornado passing overhead. The windows of my top-floor apartment started vibrating and seemingly flexing in and out. I tried to get her to hide in the bathroom, but she wanted to stand near the sliding glass door to the patio with her arms outstretched.

The funnel touched down a couple of hundred yards from my building. It tore part of the roof off a neighboring apartment complex and damaged a couple of schools.

Oh yeah, I put that gal on my "do not disturb" list.

The standing at the door with outstretched arms is a good detail

Back