• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CrossFit

A well informed comment from that article:
Ryan101 1 day ago
@Drchele In addition to disc herniations, lets not forget SLAP lesions, rotator cuff tears, elbow, hip and knee tendinopathies, achilles tendon ruptures (yes--only crossfit WOD programmers would figure out a way to program box-jump heavy workouts that can rupture the strongest tendon in the human body), etc.

Weightlifting, powerlifting, gymnastics, and endurance based sports all have their associated risks. However, these risks are mitigated by proper programming and execution of good form and training in a way that facilitates adaptation; ideally with an experienced mentor. The group atmosphere, the random programming, the hit/miss of the quality of the affiliate and trainers you go to, and the fact that crossfitters participate in the sport of exercise that does not enable the level of specilisation, adaptation and skill acquisition that proper training for one of the many sports they mash together allows, combined with the lunacy of Crossfit HQ and its culture, is a great shame. Lets hope that this silly fad dies out soon.

i've got two friends/relatives that are both super fit, paleo-workout nuts. both physical therapists. and both have the same take on CrossFit:

in theory and execution, it can be an incredible workout platform BUT most of the gyms are run by knuckleheads who aren't educated in proper technique themselves and/or don't have the time or inclination to monitor their clients well enough to protect people from the very real dangers of the exercises involved.

i've got two friends/relatives that are both super fit, paleo-workout nuts. both physical therapists. and both have the same take on CrossFit:

in theory and execution, it can be an incredible workout platform BUT most of the gyms are run by knuckleheads who aren't educated in proper technique themselves and/or don't have the time or inclination to monitor their clients well enough to protect people from the very real dangers of the exercises involved.

i agree with that take

similar story here: https://www.t-nation.com/training/in-defense-of-crossfit

That's a fair assessment. Like anything that grows that quickly there are going to be serious issues with quality control.

I think I would bet my BOY DG3 against Leftcoast, buckets, AND Cav

I can't speak for other gyms but we do a strength workout every day before we do the WOD.

Yeh we do that as well as nice warmup and mobility work. I've been to boxes here in Jax, Greensboro, Eden, Atlanta and NorCal and yet to have a bad experience. Hoping to try one in Vegas next week.

Those kipping pull-ups are just the most retarded thing ever. Even more retarded than an actual retarded individual. If you kip, it isn't a pull-up. That's Pull-Ups 101.

Honestly, the Beachbody shit is such a better investment. Cheaper and great workouts that you can recycle at your leisure.

Back