• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 80: Where we all sing R.E.M. but won't admit it

Status
Not open for further replies.
fun answer: I hope so!

serious answer coming from someone who is still baffled by how much weddings cost: he might have no idea either... like zero clue whatsoever that it could easily run $10,000 without you even needing to go overboard.

i think he has SOME idea of wedding costs. my brother's wife comes from a family who just couldn't afford to help pay for the wedding. my brother and his now-wife handled a lot of the costs by themselves, but i know my parents helped with the venue and food. so i'm guessing he has at least a vague idea of some of the big costs. i'm guessing the stuff that he's unsure of is stuff like wedding dress, band, alcohol, and all of the "little" stuff that really adds up.

i think i've decided that as much as live music would be awesome, i'm way OK with a DJ or even an ipod and letting people add to a big list of songs.

I like how Lbe is just openly planning her wedding here now that Jason posts.

i think i've decided that as much as live music would be awesome, i'm way OK with a DJ or even an ipod and letting people add to a big list of songs.

I think we've talked about this on here before and people called this too cheap but I thought it was great. It helped that we had a good sound system but on the RSVP we had people request songs to make a big playlist from. By the end of the night people were just plugging in their phones and playing music if it was something we didn't have.

Since we paid for everything ourselves, having a band got cut. It was going to cost us a fortune to have any band drive to our location since it was a little out of the way. I think the cheapest band we found was around $5K, and that just wasn't happening. DJ worked out just fine.

dunno if it was brought up on here (don't usually keep up with CT over weekends) but I played Cards Against Humanity with a couple boards kids Saturday and HOLY SHIT. awesome.

even if I only won 1 card.
Played an epic one last week.

Lifetime presents
___Lockjaw______
the story of
__Wifely duties.__

Wedding bands are overrated? The increased fun they might add over a DJ is not equal to the cost, space, and noise they bring. The idea of a band, is almost always better than the band itself at a wedding. Just my $0.02

Since we paid for everything ourselves, having a band got cut. It was going to cost us a fortune to have any band drive to our location since it was a little out of the way. I think the cheapest band we found was around $5K, and that just wasn't happening. DJ worked out just fine.

Bands begin around $3,000. Most good bands begin around $4,500. But then they often require hotel, transportation fees, etc. They can be one of the more needy vendors.

You can actually get some really awesome DJs that are around $5,000 and don't come with the headaches.

That said, I had a local DJ who did a great job and I am always happy to recommend him to others. To me, the cost for a band wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnais...e jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll
ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..

‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.

‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

Played an epic one last week.

Lifetime presents
___Lockjaw______
the story of
__Wifely duties.__

I actually pulled and played The Virginia Tech Massacre.

Including the fact that gf went to Tech, it was wrong on a couple levels. She wasn't in attendance, thank jesus.

Wedding bands are overrated? The increased fun they might add over a DJ is not equal to the cost, space, and noise they bring. The idea of a band, is almost always better than the band itself at a wedding. Just my $0.02

This. A DJ will do fine. The goal is to provide a microphone for the toasts and songs for people to dance to. A live band isnt necessary.

I actually pulled and played The Virginia Tech Massacre.

Including the fact that gf went to Tech, it was wrong on a couple levels. She wasn't in attendance, thank jesus.

I pulled that but I ripped it up and threw it away. Sorry I'm not sorry, bar.

Bands begin around $3,000. Most good bands begin around $4,500. But then they often require hotel, transportation fees, etc. They can be one of the more needy vendors.

vadtoy and I had to pay pretty much everything for our wedding. We got vadtoy's old Jazz professor to bring his 4 piece band and play standards and guest requests for $500. It was amazing.

Hit up friends, acquaintances and other people you might now. I bet you have options that are cheaper than you think (and will mean more to you).

Lol, you can double that it not seem like you're going overboard.

Like I said, I don't know how much this stuff costs.

i think he has SOME idea of wedding costs. my brother's wife comes from a family who just couldn't afford to help pay for the wedding. my brother and his now-wife handled a lot of the costs by themselves, but i know my parents helped with the venue and food. so i'm guessing he has at least a vague idea of some of the big costs. i'm guessing the stuff that he's unsure of is stuff like wedding dress, band, alcohol, and all of the "little" stuff that really adds up.

Okay well I guess he does have some clue then. I'm not sure my parents had any idea before my sister got engaged. I don't know what their contribution was, but I think they covered some flat amount and the rest was up to the bride and groom (+ his family).

If I ever get married I think I'd feel guilty taking money from my parents. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but I'd feel bad. And I hope this doesn't sound like I'm judging anyone because I'm not.

vadtoy and I had to pay pretty much everything for our wedding. We got vadtoy's old Jazz professor to bring his 4 piece band and play standards and guest requests for $500. It was amazing.

Hit up friends, acquaintances and other people you might now. I bet you have options that are cheaper than you think (and will mean more to you).

I agree with this for the most part. My only exception is to make sure that they are quality performers. I remember my organist telling me "now don't get aunt sue to sing even if she offers, you need quality performers during the service because they can set the tone." He was right. As long as the family, friends, etc are quality - then hit them up all day long!

Meh. Sounds like a good idea. DJ is the way to go though, unless you're planning on spending big money for a good band.

We had a 4-piece jazz band play the cocktail hour and a DJ do the rest of the reception for wedding party. It was a nice way to have some live music without the added cost/hassle of the band. Last thing you want to deal with is someone plugging some random ass song that nobody wants to dance to into your PA system.

Meh. Sounds like a good idea. DJ is the way to go though, unless you're planning on spending big money for a good band.

We had a 4-piece jazz band play the cocktail hour and a DJ do the rest of the reception for wedding party. It was a nice way to have some live music without the added cost/hassle of the band. Last thing you want to deal with is someone plugging some random ass song that nobody wants to dance to into your PA system.

This is what we did. A string quartet for the ceremony and cocktail hour and then DJ for reception. And totally agree on the iPod issue., however, we actually provided a list of 10 or 15 songs that we forbid the DJ to play, and wouldn't you know it, he played them anyway. We were pretty irritated about that.

The more and more I think about it the more convinced I get that I think a nice quick wedding in Vegas would be the best route to go. No family, no friends, just me and my shorty. $4,500 for a band? I can get a new four wheeler for that.

You can actually get some really awesome DJs that are around $5,000 and don't come with the headaches.

That said, I had a local DJ who did a great job and I am always happy to recommend him to others. To me, the cost for a band wasn't worth it.

Bands begin around $3000? How can this be? I looked into getting Blue Oyster Cult to be my talent show backing band and they only wanted 8k.

We had no issues with people playing a song no one wanted to hear. Also by the end people probably would have danced to the sound of car horns but still didn't have any problems with song selection. If you really were worried about that you could just have the playlist beforehand and not deviate from it. It's no different from someone requesting a bad song from a DJ unless you really trust the DJ to know which songs you dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back