• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT - It's Coming Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
wakephan, be honest. do you understand affect theory? i remember slogging through Parables of the Virtual at the start of graduate school and took nothing away from it other than that kind of interesting discussion of color/Reagan campaign

fear, the spectrum said is more approachable (and shorter) if you're looking to read massumi's writing on affect

but he's ultimately a shitty writer

cruel optimism is probably the best introduction to thinking through affect, imo.

wakephan, be honest. do you understand affect theory? i remember slogging through Parables of the Virtual at the start of graduate school and took nothing away from it other than that kind of interesting discussion of color/Reagan campaign

Not really, no. Nor would I claim to understand most critical theory

I understand the basic premises, and I always find it's useful to understand where and how it originated because critical theories always seem to arise in response to something else.

But beyond the key words, big ideas, and main proponents I couldn't tell you much.

fear, the spectrum said is more approachable (and shorter) if you're looking to read massumi's writing on affect

but he's ultimately a shitty writer

cruel optimism is probably the best introduction to thinking through affect, imo.

I took a class back in the day from one of the bigger affect theorists in NY. The theoretical work was impenetrable (and to this day I still don't really understand what going on), but I enjoyed stuff like William Miller's Anatomy of Disgust and Svetlana Boym's The Future of Nostalgia.

But I had three big affect people in my department (one a top five name and one Caruth's best friend), edited a special issue in a big journal on affect and emotion, and dated someone writing her diss on it

But I had three big affect people in my department (one a top five name and one Caruth's best friend), edited a special issue in a big journal on affect and emotion, and dated someone writing her diss on it

i think she has since retired, but patricia clough was something of an academic celebrity back when i still lived in NY

legit had followers and hangers-on

very strange phenomenon to witness from the outside

One of my favorite quotes about memory, from Margaret Atwood:

"But who can remember pain, once it’s over? All that remains of it is a shadow, not in the mind even, in the flesh. Pain marks you, but too deep to see. Out of sight, out of mind."

Where does ongoing trauma and PTSD factor in this?

i think she has since retired, but patricia clough was something of an academic celebrity back when i still lived in NY

legit had followers and hangers-on

very strange phenomenon to witness from the outside
Oh yes! I loved watching people interact with their celebrity supervisors. You'd definitely recognize the big affect lady in my department, and because of her we regularly had Heather Love and Sara Ahmed and Halberstam on campus. Hopefully that narrows it down for you, lol

I took a class back in the day from one of the bigger affect theorists in NY. The theoretical work was impenetrable (and to this day I still don't really understand what going on), but I enjoyed stuff like William Miller's Anatomy of Disgust and Svetlana Boym's The Future of Nostalgia.

i haven't read either of those but I could definitely recommend writing on affect that isn't as difficult

Ott's review article here sets up three lines of thought on affect and I generally agree with that striation

obviously I'm more familiar with the third line of affect and the writing here is all generally accessible (even Lundberg on Lacan)

god now I'm just thinking about how approachable and applicable cruel optimism is

Where does ongoing trauma and PTSD factor in this?

A good question, and a conversation I always have with students when we read this (it's from a work of fiction)

I suppose the character would say (and theorists would agree) that some people carry their trauma in physiologically specific ways (like parts of their bodies) and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the interaction between memory and pain exacerbates PTSD and is a source of ongoing trauma.

Isn't BBD a physical therapist? I bet need have some insight.

If I had known palma was gonna do darts updates, I would have been giving updates from the World Rapid and Blitz. Pretty wild day. Hikaru having to withdraw with Covid. Magnus faltering. Crazy late surge by Alireza came up just short.

If I had known palma was gonna do darts updates, I would have been giving updates from the World Rapid and Blitz. Pretty wild day. Hikaru having to withdraw with Covid. Magnus faltering. Crazy late surge by Alireza came up just short.
Magnus still the GOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back