• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: What's the deal with those guys in The Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of a commitment and passion for your job/what you are working on it’s a miracle anything in government gets done. Majority of everything is voluntary if it falls outside the fairly narrow scope of your work. Reason why scientific ventures have a lot more results and efficiency than say the IRS, not a whole lot of people that say man my passion is really taxes and paperwork.

Outside of a commitment and passion for your job/what you are working on it’s a miracle anything in government gets done. Majority of everything is voluntary if it falls outside the fairly narrow scope of your work. Reason why scientific ventures have a lot more results and efficiency than say the IRS, not a whole lot of people that say man my passion is really taxes and paperwork.

DIGGLER !!

in an effort to get people to eat it and reduce it as a threat as an invasive species. the Illinois Department of Natural Resources is spending $600k to rebrand Asian Carp as Copi

Yeah, sure I could easily see paper pushers in a lot of Gov't agencies sucking. The DOI agencies mostly have a mission of conservation and resource management and most of the employees have a degree or two (or three) in some sort of biologically focused field. Even the paper pushers often have a bachelors degree in a biological field...so they have a purpose behind their work. The big problem I encounter with gov't work is the numerous constraints and processes that have to be followed because they are constantly worried about what the next law suit will be that will bog their office down financially and temporally. So, they bog them selves down in process paper work before they get sued, hoping to avoid getting sued, but they still get sued. That's not a people or employee problem it's a management problem.

Also, and this is political so I'm sorry, but federal natural resource management agencies are still suffering from PTSD from the last administration.

Why does it need a rebrand? I know there have been several fish whose names have been changed for these purposes but it doesn’t seem like throwing “copi” on a menu would work better than just putting carp on a menu and showing people they can order and eat it. I guess the idea is to make it seem expensive enough to make it worth it.

If they pitch the jobs right, they could hire plenty of people passionate about uncovering financial crimes and forcing rich people to pay their taxes.

The most common phrase heard when working with the government is "Sorry, that is outside of my scope of work" ie Find someone else to do it.

Why does it need a rebrand? I know there have been several fish whose names have been changed for these purposes but it doesn’t seem like throwing “copi” on a menu would work better than just putting carp on a menu and showing people they can order and eat it. I guess the idea is to make it seem expensive enough to make it worth it.

Asian Carp is an invasive species that has recently worked it's way up the rivers/channels toward Lake Michigan and so the headlines in the past five or ten years have all been negative and the association has stuck

Asian Carp is an invasive species that has recently worked it's way up the rivers/channels toward Lake Michigan and so the headlines in the past five or ten years have all been negative and the association has stuck

Sure but does that impact how it’s viewed when it’s grilled, blackened, or fried?

From what I remember, the fish are actually pretty good to eat (they are eaten a loooot in China), BUT are tricky because they have bone(s) running thorugh the filet or something, so prep and/or processing isn't super easy.

I think there's also a lot of mental association with the bottom feeding common carp that are kinda gross, so I get the name change thing, even though that seems kinda insane to pay money for.

Sure but does that impact how it’s viewed when it’s grilled, blackened, or fried?

Americans think Carp are the giant goldfish you see in water fountains and fish tanks in the entryway to Chinese restaurants and have no interest is eating them. They are correct too, the Asian grass carp are a type of goldfish. They definitely need a rebranding if we are going to try and build a market for them.

Ok. So why “copi” and not like “tropical seabass?”

when I lived in DC there was a trend where chefs were trying to promote the invasive snakehead, which is actually delicious, but horrifying to look at. they never did rebrand, though. and invasive lionfish is really delicious but hard to catch and filet due to the poisonous fins. but apparently all invasive species are delicious.

Worked pretty well for Chilean Sea Bass instead of Patagonian Toothfish.

Ok. So why “copi” and not like “tropical seabass?”

I am guessing they did some sort of focus group or public survey on some possible naming options. They probably tried options that are similar to Asian Silver Carp and copi can out on top. Tropical lake bass might work, but sea bass is way off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back