• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cuba

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
After Cuba released the American contractor Alan Gross who was prisoner there for five years, the US and Cuba are entering talks to start normalizing relations. Announcements will be made at noon, but they're expected to discuss that most of the trade embargo will be lifted, the US will begin to build an embassy in Havana, and the US will remove Cuba from its list of states who sponsor terror.

Link - http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/17/371398638/cuba-frees-american-contractor-alan-gross

Seems like good news all around.

Oh, good. Now Michael Moore can go to Havana for a free rectal exam. I doubt he will want the free heart surgery there.

How much normalization can happen without Congressional action? I don't know if the trade embargo is a statute or a just an executive action that has lasted since before Kennedy.

Not much since the embargo is actually dictated by legislative action. I'm sure an executive order would overcome some of it, but not all.

I full support the move to normalize our relationship with Cuba. It's long since time to get over our fear of the communist boogieman next door.

Oh, good. Now Michael Moore can go to Havana for a free rectal exam. I doubt he will want the free heart surgery there.

I get the sarcasm, but the medical care in Cuba is actually very good. They have virtually a 0% illiteracy rate, good schools and good health care. Pretty good cuisine as well and a good climate. Just a terrible government that makes bad reforms and poor infrastructure because of our embargo and the lack of soviet aid for the last 24 years. I've always thought that once the Castros finish dying off and we lift the embargo that it will once again become a big tourist destination and get a lot of investment going in there. If you could buy and sell stock in countries, Cuba would definitely be on my buy list.

I can't wait to start taking vacations in CUBA.

Seriously. If our governments can get right with each other, and they can get some assurances against expropriation, the mega-resorts will spend all kind of money developing that place.

I get the sarcasm, but the medical care in Cuba is actually very good. They have virtually a 0% illiteracy rate, good schools and good health care. Pretty good cuisine as well and a good climate. Just a terrible government that makes bad reforms and poor infrastructure because of our embargo and the lack of soviet aid for the last 24 years. I've always thought that once the Castros finish dying off and we lift the embargo that it will once again become a big tourist destination and get a lot of investment going in there. If you could buy and sell stock in countries, Cuba would definitely be on my buy list.

You will know Cuba is back when you have to pay a straight male with an M.D. to stick his finger up your ass.

I look forward to the cost of Cohibas plummeting.

And I agree with the above that the resort chains will go nuts expanding their foothold in Cuba (non US tourists have been going there for years).

There's gonna be a glut of knock off shitty cigars.

I'm most happy about Cohibas and baseball players. Oh and don't forget some excellent beaches.

Hadn't thought about the baseball angle. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a MLB team in Havana within a decade. They're definitely baseball crazy down there.

Seems like Obama doesn't GAF about public opinion/political reactions post-midterms and is try to get as much done on his own as he can. In this case, it was a very politically bold move, but I think the right move and one that was long overdue. Will be interesting to see how it plays out

Cant wait to fly down to see wake in the "havana holiday hoopla" xmas 2020

Back