• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Culture of Dependence Much?

I agree with jh. We should use examples of a couple of bad actors to generalize about an entire group of people.

Signed,

Greg Little, Marvin Austin, and Robert Quinn.

Robert Quinn got screwed. Little and Austin did themselves in, but "his" lawyer provided by UNC that told him to turn over his cell phone to the NCAA, uhm...wasn't looking out for his interests.

The guy took a lump sum of $800,000. He told the state did it and according to their law he still qualified. Whether it's right or not he did what the law he shoudl do.

It's funny many of those who are outraged have no problem with oil company subsidies ot other forms of corporate welfare.

Whatever law allows him to keep welfare needs to be changed, and the guy is an asshole for exploiting it.

Ph: Who pays the income taxes in this country?

People with an income.

Not sure about your point since people pay taxes on lottery winnings.

The guy took a lump sum of $800,000. He told the state did it and according to their law he still qualified. Whether it's right or not he did what the law he shoudl do.

It's funny many of those who are outraged have no problem with oil company subsidies ot other forms of corporate welfare.

Corporations are the engines of the economy and most of these tax breaks promote economic activity and employment.

I have a much bigger problem with this than the misunderstood "corporate welfare".

People with an income.

Not sure about your point since people pay taxes on lottery winnings.

Okay, so unemployment in this country is 9%, but less than 50% pay any income taxes...so according to you, >41% of the people in our country are employed without an income.

#DemWaronMath.

Okay, so unemployment in this country is 9%, but less than 50% pay any income taxes...so according to you, >41% of the people in our country are employed without an income.

#DemWaronMath.

So you're saying that people with a job who get a check don't get taxes taken out of that check. Not true.

So you're saying that people with a job who get a check don't get taxes taken out of that check. Not true.

Not if you credit those taxes back and refund them in full (and then some).

#math

Not if you credit those taxes back and refund them in full (and then some).

#math

Subtraction followed by addition still includes subtraction. Everybody with a job pays income taxes. Some of them receive large refunds.

Anyway, what numbers did you think I was talking about.

link?

Subtraction followed by addition still includes subtraction. Everybody with a job pays income taxes. Some of them receive large refunds.

Anyway, what numbers did you think I was talking about.

subtraction followed by addition only equals subtraction if the initial subtraction is greater than the subsequent addition.

With the EITC, in alot of cases the subsequent addition is greater than the subtraction.

"includes" is not the same as "equals".

If you give me $10 and I give you $15, you still gave me $10. I just gave you $15 as well.

I wish more Republicans would actually get up on a soapbox on their position that the poor and middle class shouldn't get deductions but the rich should. That would be entertaining.

Yeah, that's what Republicans really think. If it weren't for the poor and middle class this country could be Luxembourg. You keep holding us back dammit. You and your silly entitlement programs.

Yeah, that's what Republicans really think. If it weren't for the poor and middle class this country could be Luxembourg. You keep holding us back dammit. You and your silly entitlement programs.

It is what they think. Convince me otherwise. I haven't seen many Pubs here or publicly come out against deductions. Yet I have seen the argument that everyone needs to have some "skins in the game".

Do that math. That means according to your plans, someone's deductions could only be as high as their income taxes. That means people who pay more taxes would get their full deduction while those who pay fewer taxes would only get a portion of their deduction.

Last edited:
I wish I knew what the hell you are talking about. But that's nothing new. What Ryan proposed is a rewriting of the tax code that takes deductions away from the rich. So instead of paying 9%, John and Teresa Kerry would pay 28%. No loopholes, no excuses. Others would pay 24%, 22% and so on.

It will never happen. The tax code is a biblical text for the beltway. They only add to it... they never rewrite the old testament.

I'm talking about math. If you want everybody to pay taxes, that means either getting rid of deductions for some or everybody.

Skin in the game. That is some funny shit. Funny insomuch as the right has been hoodwinked into thinking that collecting more taxes from people who have little to no money will what, wake them up and make them become something? more informed about government, is that it? harder workers? I don't even know what they expect to happen.

These people have had low paying, stagnant wage jobs for 30 years. The banking/financial sector has exploded in that time - swallowing up a huge percentage of GDP once held by manufacturing - which is not a job creator. So these asshole bankers who don't create anything and don't create jobs are making huge salaries, dwarfing the working class'. Then the right clamors to lower taxes for them to "create jobs" which doesn't work because a huge % of these wealthy people are in finance/banking - and raise/add taxes on the working class. So you are left with a stagnant working class who don't have the income to hang with the major expenditures - energy, education, health care, food - and all the right proposes is making them pay more taxes to have "skin in the game", all for some nebulous result. What is supposed to happen with all this skin in the game again? can someone educate me on what the skin is supposed to do?

Last edited:
Since this guy is still a baby, would it be OK to perform a back alley abortion on him?

Skin in the game. That is some funny shit. Funny insomuch as the right has been hoodwinked into thinking that collecting more taxes from people who have little to no money will what, wake them up and make them become something? more informed about government, is that it? harder workers? I don't even know what they expect to happen.

These people have had low paying, stagnant wage jobs for 30 years. The banking/financial sector has exploded in that time - swallowing up a huge percentage of GDP once held by manufacturing - which is not a job creator. So these asshole bankers who don't create anything and don't create jobs are making huge salaries, dwarfing the working class'. Then the right clamors to lower taxes for them to "create jobs" which doesn't work because a huge % of these wealthy people are in finance/banking - and raise/add taxes on the working class. So you are left with a stagnant working class who don't have the income to hang with the major expenditures - energy, education, health care, food - and all the right proposes is making them pay more taxes to have "skin in the game", all for some nebulous result. What is supposed to happen with all this skin in the game again? can someone educate me on what the skin is supposed to do?

gulp, i agree

Except that Luxembourg has more entitlement programs than we do starting with universal healthcare.

By te way the "duty free" store by the train station is a huge ripoff.

Back