• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Currie’s Take?

I said as much on twitter, but if Currie honestly thinks he can take the AD job and not make a move on the basketball job for another year, he is in for a rude welcome from the fanbase. I am actually very excited about Currie as an AD, but this would be a massive sign of weakness on his part if he isn't able to put together a coalition of donors to move on from Manning immediately. It will also be one last nail in Wellman's coffin that he saddled Currie with such a massive albatross of a buyout that the new AD had to wait a year for finances to work out before he could fire a coach that clearly needs to be fired, but this would not absolve Currie from failure to act.

The reality is that bringing in the right coach pays for itself in ticket revenue and donations. We will still have to pay a buyout next year, and in the meantime regardless of the product on the floor, no one is going to attend the games. It would be a travesty for the current players if Manning is brought back. They deserve better than what the fanbase will be willing to give simply because no on in the fanbase trusts that Manning can win consistently, and pretty much everyone who watches Wake at this point is expecting Manning to choke in the last 5 minutes of the game. I don't say this to be mean-spirited as obviously I have been on the patience side of the Manning debate as long as humanly possible. 5 years is long enough. Manning has proven that he cannot handle this job. One more year just makes the rebuild that much more difficult. Our recruiting for 2020 will be MISERABLE with this staff because everyone knows that Manning's firing is inevitable.

Man up Currie and do what you have to do. Don't enter the game and proceed to taunt the home fans. I chose to attend Wake so that I could be a part of Wake basketball as a fan as opposed to playing college ball at a lower level. Don't tell me our program isn't important to the well being of the university. I have a 10 year old daughter who has never seen a Wake Forest basketball of any substance. Time to get moving in the right direction.

I totally get what you're saying, but Manning A) never should have been extended, and certainly not with a monumentally dumb buyout and B) he should have been fired after 8 players left Wake with eligibility remaining and no better options than returning. It's that simple. Although A certainly complicates or overrides B because Wellman is really that much of a total dunce.

Disagree that you fire Manning after the transfers this summer, as we still would have sucked this past year, and trying to hire someone for a rental year would be tough, but I would have fired him before Christmas when it was clear we could not field a competitive team. Then you have an assistant as the interim and you enter March Madness on the forefront of the coaching search with an open seat to pitch to your targets.

I said as much on twitter, but if Currie honestly thinks he can take the AD job and not make a move on the basketball job for another year, he is in for a rude welcome from the fanbase. I am actually very excited about Currie as an AD, but this would be a massive sign of weakness on his part if he isn't able to put together a coalition of donors to move on from Manning immediately. It will also be one last nail in Wellman's coffin that he saddled Currie with such a massive albatross of a buyout that the new AD had to wait a year for finances to work out before he could fire a coach that clearly needs to be fired, but this would not absolve Currie from failure to act.

The reality is that bringing in the right coach pays for itself in ticket revenue and donations. We will still have to pay a buyout next year, and in the meantime regardless of the product on the floor, no one is going to attend the games. It would be a travesty for the current players if Manning is brought back. They deserve better than what the fanbase will be willing to give simply because no on in the fanbase trusts that Manning can win consistently, and pretty much everyone who watches Wake at this point is expecting Manning to choke in the last 5 minutes of the game. I don't say this to be mean-spirited as obviously I have been on the patience side of the Manning debate as long as humanly possible. 5 years is long enough. Manning has proven that he cannot handle this job. One more year just makes the rebuild that much more difficult. Our recruiting for 2020 will be MISERABLE with this staff because everyone knows that Manning's firing is inevitable.

Man up Currie and do what you have to do. Don't enter the game and proceed to taunt the home fans. I chose to attend Wake so that I could be a part of Wake basketball as a fan as opposed to playing college ball at a lower level. Don't tell me our program isn't important to the well being of the university. I have a 10 year old daughter who has never seen a Wake Forest basketball of any substance. Time to get moving in the right direction.

All of this. Very well said on all fronts.

I mean, if you have twitter and would like to voice your opinion, there you go. I'm just providing the info.

Disagree that you fire Manning after the transfers this summer, as we still would have sucked this past year, and trying to hire someone for a rental year would be tough, but I would have fired him before Christmas when it was clear we could not field a competitive team. Then you have an assistant as the interim and you enter March Madness on the forefront of the coaching search with an open seat to pitch to your targets.

Well, I didn't mean AFTER they all left. It should have been obvious with any close discussion with Danny and others in the program that certain players were leaving. But yes, there were plenty of examples of ineptitude to have pointed towards parting ways last March.

Oh I agree, certainly. As do 100% of the Wake fans. I am just afraid it may not be reality.

I'm speaking as someone who has known Currie for 25 years. And very few people think more of John than I do. Great guy and very smart. Regardless, I can just see it as a possibility.

Last edited:
Oh I agree, certainly. As do 100% of the Wake fans. I am just afraid it may not be reality.

I'm speaking as someone who has known Currie for 25 years. And very few people think more of John than I do. Great guy and very smart. Regardless, I can just see it as a possibility.

Then maybe not as smart as you claim.

Obviously my hopes that Currie's hiring, and the leak that forced Wellman into a scramble, were part of some sort of coup by the donors to take back the AD and right the basketball program were unwarranted. 9 years later, I was just impressed that I was still capable of hope.

Hard to get excited by Currie if he took the AD job knowing he would be saddled by Manning. Wellman fucked him over at the start if this happens. Right now I could care less about Wake basketball. Another year of embarrassing futility? Hurts too much to look at what we have become.

Currie starting his tenure looking a bit like a punk if he allows this to happen.

He needs to grow a pair and do what needs doing. Wake does not need any more yes-men watching this program burn.

Any chance of Currie firing Manning on his first day and the job (May 1) and either having someone lined up to replace him or at least an interim coach? Neither is a perfect solution but better than keeping him around another season. These scenarios assume that RW is unwilling to pull the trigger for whatever reasons (loyalty, stubbornness, lack of enthusiasm for hiring Miller, etc.).

Any chance of Currie firing Manning on his first day and the job (May 1) and either having someone lined up to replace him or at least an interim coach? Neither is a perfect solution but better than keeping him around another season. These scenarios assume that RW is unwilling to pull the trigger for whatever reasons (loyalty, stubbornness, lack of enthusiasm for hiring Miller, etc.).

Assumes Wake has gone away from type and hired someone willing to make hard decisions and defy Hatch.

If Wellman is as awful as this board contends (and he may well be, we will see) the outcome is really very simple and predictdable: Wellman refuses to believe he made a mistake with Manning so he will not fire him, letting others contend with it. To prove his authoritiy,he will maintain FULL control until May 1, a date too late for Currie to fire Manning. Currie will then have to give Manning a year. And most convincing Wellman dumps it all on Currie, the kid he hired way back. The kid who is now in awe. Simple.

Back