• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

Thank Dave Glen for finding out about the Currie hire and tweeting about it when he did. I think that messed up the preferred timeline.
Early March: Wellman announces Manning being retained.
April 1 or thereabouts: Wellman retirement announced for end of school year. Currie announced as replacement AD, effective May 2.

This would have been a 1 month transition period. Reasonable for something of this magnitude.

Smooth transition but totally uncommitted to fixing basketball. It’s like business as usual over there. Everything is fine

Wellman's deal with WF has a specified term, and it's most likely that the end of the term coincides with the WF academic calendar. With that said, WF, Wellman and Currie could've agreed to an early termination and early start for Currie, but apparently, chose not to go that route.

This thread is so fringe WF board crazy. Knocking the incoming AD before his term as AD even begins and before he has any authority to bind WF to a decision is comical. Yes, Currie is starting to have input, but WF decided to hire him three weeks ago, and like almost every major job, there is a planned transition in place before Currie assumes the AD position. Guess its too much to ask to wait until Currie actually becomes the AD and actually makes decisions about the future of the athletic department before trashing him.

So is the crazy part expecting Currie to influence the process or being mad he didn’t?

Wake was going to have a presser Monday regardless of the Glenn story.

So when were they going to announce it?

So is the crazy part expecting Currie to influence the process or being mad he didn’t?
Being mad at Currie because Currie COULDN"T influence the process Wellman is currently in control of is crazy.

Being mad at Currie because Currie COULDN"T influence the process Wellman is currently in control of is crazy.

Yes. Being mad at Currie for athletic department decisions before he becomes the athletic director is crazy.

Yes. Being mad at Currie for athletic department decisions before he becomes the athletic director is crazy.

Exactly. And be skeptical if you want. Be 50/50. That is part of being a fan. But saying you are Currieout before he even starts is just plain stupid. Like really stupid. Take a long look in the mirror stupid.

Exactly. And be skeptical if you want. Be 50/50. That is part of being a fan. But saying you are Currieout before he even starts is just plain stupid. Like really stupid. Take a long look in the mirror stupid.

Agree 100% but not sure why this is surprising.

This board was founded on stupid.

I really think that while Currie didn't want to be stuck with Manning, the contract was only half the reason Manning remains. I absolutely believe knowing John that he didn't see any coach available that he thought was going to be the right guy to be as close to a sure thing as possible to get the program back to where it needs to be, given the hole Wake has dug with the program. Based on that, I think John swallowed hard and knows maybe who he thinks he can get given a year to work in that direction. 4 more years of a coach that doesn't get it done - again - is worse than another year of Manning and then bringing in a stud. I honestly didn't see any stud coaches that were going to be gettable and I am just guessing here but I don't think Currie did either.

If Alabama can get our dream coach, why can’t we?

Manning is back for three reasons:

1) Wellman is going out and wants one last chance to salvage his basketball reputation.

2) The buyout is substantial.

3) The returning players want Manning back.

Its an idiotic decision but that’s why.

I really think that while Currie didn't want to be stuck with Manning, the contract was only half the reason Manning remains. I absolutely believe knowing John that he didn't see any coach available that he thought was going to be the right guy to be as close to a sure thing as possible to get the program back to where it needs to be, given the hole Wake has dug with the program. Based on that, I think John swallowed hard and knows maybe who he thinks he can get given a year to work in that direction. 4 more years of a coach that doesn't get it done - again - is worse than another year of Manning and then bringing in a stud. I honestly didn't see any stud coaches that were going to be gettable and I am just guessing here but I don't think Currie did either.

Weird take. Plenty of good coaches were out there for the taking + why is next year guaranteed to have better options?

If Currie hires a coach more highly regarded than Thad Matta or Nate Oats next year, then I'll be pumped. But, I think that is unlikely..

Since we are so good at picking coaches for other teams, who will potentially be out there next year that "could" be there for the taking? Maybe someone like Richard Pitino at Minnesota who flies under the radar?

6e4f4a79d52a33c200039056e8173383--basketball-camps-basketball-coach.jpg

Folks- look at the Buffalo roster. Nearly all JuCos and transfers. If you think that would work at Wake, then I’ll have what you’re smoking. Doesn’t mean Oates isn’t a heck of a coach- I believe he is- but he would have to completely change how and who he recruits. Alabama is a much better fit. “Fit” is most important at a place like Wake- and that’s simply not a fit.

Folks- look at the Buffalo roster. Nearly all JuCos and transfers. If you think that would work at Wake, then I’ll have what you’re smoking. Doesn’t mean Oates isn’t a heck of a coach- I believe he is- but he would have to completely change how and who he recruits. Alabama is a much better fit. “Fit” is most important at a place like Wake- and that’s simply not a fit.

like Jeff [Redacted] and Danny Manning, right?

Must be a lot of Hall and Oates fans on these boards. Seems pretty bizarre to randomly add an E to Oats, otherwise.

Good point. A bright spot(if there is one) is that Wellman owns the decision to retain Manning and Currie has a year to settle in and evaluate his replacement. That of course, works only if we get a good coach. At least he will own the results of the basketball program where as now the situation will be murkier because RW is still around.

Back