• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dana White: "The Klitschko brothers are an embarrassment to the sport of boxing"

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Dana White: "The Klitschko brothers are an embarrassment to the sport of boxing"

So when asked to give his opinion on the current state of its heavyweight division, specifically Wladimir Klitschko, the outspoken White didn't hold back and wasn't too kind when breaking down the Ukrainian's recent performance against Alexander Povetkin.

And older brother Vitali wasn't safe from Dana's verbal lashing during a recent media scrum, either.

"The Klitschko fucking fight was the most disgusting, embarrassing thing. The fact that he got paid $17 million for that fight. The first fucking punch he threw, they stand in the center of the ring, the bell rings, he throws a punch and holds him. He did it the whole fight; he should have been disqualified for that. Then, in the twelfth round, he didn't throw any punches. That's all he did the whole round (hold). That's the heavyweight champion of the fucking world. Normally, in boxing, the heavyweights, like when Tyson was in there, heavyweight matches were exciting. Who the...I don't know who wants to watch that shit. I watched it and it's literally embarrassing. It's fucking embarrassing. Those guys are an embarrassment to the sport of boxing. Vitali's the exciting one, right? I don't even, I've watched few of their fights and I get sick when I watch their fights."

And according to the Las Vegas fight boss, the heavyweight division in boxing is lost, thanks to the Klitschkos:

"When that's your heavyweight champion, the heavyweight division is lost. I saw the Klitschko brothers in L.A one time. They are fucking monsters. They are huge. But, how are you going to fight a guy that doesn't want to fight? That guy doesn't want to fight, he wants to grab you from your head and lay on you. It's embarrassing, it's fucking disgusting. I can't believe they found someone to pay this guy $17 million dollars, it's embarrassing."
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/18/...mma?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Damn.

Next revelation will be "clowns are an embarrassment to the circus." Boxing has gotten to the point where pro wrestling has more credibility. At least that crap embraces the fact that it's a farce.

MMA has benefited tremendously from the downfall of boxing. I used to love boxing when I was young, you had so many great fighters like Tyson, Holyfield, Holmes, Bowe (when motivated), Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Chavez, etc. Now part of that is just that sports are better when you're younger, but part of it is reality, boxing just doesn't have anywhere near the star power it used to.

Boxing goes through these periods. But MMA is a joke. If Dana doesn't like you, your career is toast. He owns all the fighters even more completely than Arum, etc., run boxers.

Boxing goes through these periods. But MMA is a joke. If Dana doesn't like you, your career is toast. He owns all the fighters even more completely than Arum, etc., run boxers.

You can't deny it's popularity and ratings though, especially compared to boxing now. I don't remember a period this bad for boxing though.

"That guy doesn't want to fight, he wants to grab you from your head and lay on you."

Isn't this what actually occurs in the MMA?

"That guy doesn't want to fight, he wants to grab you from your head and lay on you."

Isn't this what actually occurs in the MMA?

Not for long. The referee will stop it. White has fired fighters for not fighting.

I think Dana is really criticizing the management of boxing and the events more than the boxers themselves. He's saying he wouldn't allow it, but boxing does. Therefore, his product is superior. Dana White does a lot of things right, but I don't think the rise of MMA is all because of his leadership, as he and others sometimes imply. As others have said, the down-cycle in boxing has helped a lot. And I don't think MMA contributed THAT much to the boxing down turn.

You can't deny it's popularity and ratings though, especially compared to boxing now. I don't remember a period this bad for boxing though.

MMA is popular, but we won't know if it's a fad or in for in the long run for 10-15 more years.

The biggest problem with boxing is the US Olympic team has sucked for the past decade.

Yeh Boxing is terrible. What MMA fighter makes 50m a fight? I agree that the heavyweight division sucks and is painful to watch but the welterweights is still great IMO.

MMA is popular, but we won't know if it's a fad or in for in the long run for 10-15 more years.

The biggest problem with boxing is the US Olympic team has sucked for the past decade.

Since you don't seem to have watched any UFC event, I will not take anything you said on this subject seriously. But please, stick to your field of knowledge when you post, it would help us not thinking you're a bozo

Cheers,

Yeh Boxing is terrible. What MMA fighter makes 50m a fight? I agree that the heavyweight division sucks and is painful to watch but the welterweights is still great IMO.

Nobody in MMA makes 50, more around 10 depending on ppv, and that's for the big dogs. But i don't know anyone in boxing except maybe floyd or pac that can make that kind of dough on a single fight

IMO Dana White is the main reason MMA has become a major player in sporting events... So he can say whatever he wants about the Klits... Anyway, Vitali is running for Ukraine's presidency... Talking about having an agenda..

Back