• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Prosser took over a pretty great situation, Manning did not.

Tony Bennett is a good example. He's pretty much the gold standard for college rebuilds and UVA is a pretty good comp for Wake.

Let's agree to use the Tony Bennett standard to measure Manning's progress (keeping in mind that Bennett clearly exceeded expectations).

I would add John Mackovic, Bill Dooley and even Dave Odom to the examples of early success.

Odom being the only remotely relevant comparison. Even he took over a much better situation than Manning and both the ACC and college basketball have changed a lot since 1990.

GDO's first year had Chris King, Anthony Tucker, Sam Ivy, Robert Siler, Derrick McQueen.

In his second year, he added Chill, Rodney, Trelonnie Owens.

How can you compare the levels of talent between GDO and Manning with a straight face?

GDO's first year had Chris King, Anthony Tucker, Sam Ivy, Robert Siler, Derrick McQueen.

How can you compare the levels of talent between GDO and Manning with a straight face?

Because he added Chill, Rodney, and Owens through his own work? And those 3 were light years better than anyone else on the team save maybe King?

Dave Odom recruited better than Danny Manning. HOW CAN YOU USE THIS AGAINST DANNY MANNING?!

Excellent argument.

No question we should have beaten Clemson. However some here are acting like we should have beaten UVA, F$U or UNC.
I expect us to beat a top team. Gt did it in the first five games of a new coaches regime

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Because he added Chill, Rodney, and Owens through his own work? And those 3 were light years better than anyone else on the team save maybe King?

Actually Staak had Rodney all but signed before he was justifiably fired.

Dave Odom recruited better than Danny Manning. HOW CAN YOU USE THIS AGAINST DANNY MANNING?!

Excellent argument.

Manning has improved the program, compared to what he inherited, more than Odom did in his first 2.5 years.

In fact this team is on par with Odom's second and this team's according to Sportsreferences rating system.

Manning has improved the program, compared to what he inherited, more than Odom did in his first 2.5 years.

In fact this team is on par with Odom's second and this team's according to Sportsreferences rating system.

That's unimaginable to me. Bryant might start over McQueen, but no one else on this team would be good enough to start for that team. I love JC, but he's not as good as Rodney, Tucker or King.

That's what's wrong with many of these analytics. This year's team would at least a 10 point dog to GDO's second year team. I'm not sure if that's high enough.

That's unimaginable to me. Bryant might start over McQueen, but no one else on this team would be good enough to start for that team. I love JC, but he's not as good as Rodney, Tucker or King.

That's what's wrong with many of these analytics. This year's team would at least a 10 point dog to GDO's second year team. I'm not sure if that's high enough.

Maybe. I can barely remember Rodney's Junior year so I won't tell you you're wrong. But I do think we tend to remember former players as being better than they were when comparing them to current players.

Comparing teams 25+ years apart using analytics based on stats available 25+ years ago is an inexact science at best. I do think they can get you in the right ballpark.

There also might be a compelling argument that college basketball has declined over the last 25 years, again I don't know.

Maybe. I can barely remember Rodney's Junior year so I won't tell you you're wrong. But I do think we tend to remember former players as being better than they were when comparing them to current players.

Comparing teams 25+ years apart using analytics based on stats available 25+ years ago is an inexact science at best. I do think they can get you in the right ballpark.

There also might be a compelling argument that college basketball has declined over the last 25 years, again I don't know.

Rodney was ACC ROY- over Grant Hill

Chris King got to play parts of three season in the NBA. I think he started most of one season for Vancouver or Seattle. I forget which.

Chill was Chill. Comparing him to Keyshawn is a joke.

Tucker had a cup of coffee in the NBA. He would have eaten Arians for lunch. Arians is good at what he does, but tucker would have kept him from doing it.

Tucker and King were about 6'8 and could handle the ball as well as rebound.

Trelonnie is much better than anyone on our bench as was Siler. Even after blowing up his knee, Siler was more athletic than any of our guards/wings.

This was actually a very "modern" team. It had a lot of 6'8 guys who could play out on the court. It was much more athletic than this year's team. It was bigger, stronger and quicker.

Compared to the rest of college basketball in 2017, Manning's team's performance so far in year 3 is comparable to Odom's year 3 performance as compared to the rest of college basketball in 1992.

I didn't say, nor will I say, that this team could beat that team or that Keyshawn woods is better than Randolph fucking Childress. Jesus.

It's Rodney F'ing Rogers! Good lord! I saw him score 35 at Cameron Indoor on the vaunted Dookies. Go read about him and watch some video and remember the caliber of players he was playing against before you even consider anyone on this team in the same stratosphere... Not that you really did that but you kinda implied it...

And, again, good lord! Of course college basketball has declined in the past 25 years - People like Rodney used to play 3 years or more... Imagine all the one and dones of the last 10 years all playing at least 2-4 years with and against each other - how much better would the college basketball product have been?

yes, but DGO could not keep up that level of recruiting...he peaked with this class and got lucky with Duncan. great defensive coach but not the recruiter that people are saying here.

yes, but DGO could not keep up that level of recruiting...he peaked with this class and got lucky with Duncan. great defensive coach but not the recruiter that people are saying here.

I'm afraid you are forgetting about A-DUBS

Excellent argument.

If Danny Manning was to get fired at the end of the season, he would bequeath the next coach with Wilbekin, Childress, and Moore.

If Danny Manning was to get fired at the end of the season, he would bequeath the next coach with Wilbekin, Childress, and Moore.

And Collins and Crawford and Chaundee Brown.

But he's not getting fired. If he does, we are screwed very badly. No one we'd want will want to take our job after firing a legendary player, who took on a total dumpster fire and didn't get to even use his first Top 30 recruit.

I am getting really nervous about putting this much pressure on a player (Brown) who has yet to even lace up.

I am getting really nervous about putting this much pressure on a player (Brown) who has yet to even lace up.

It's not that much. He could the last piece. It's not like we're asking him to score 25 ppg or 20 ppg. He just has to be a solid player.

Back