• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Not always happy with DM, but do believe he knows more than most on this board. Year 3 and we are still in the hunt for the post season-- been a long time since that has been true. I guess there is a reason why we don't play more zone and why we collapse at the end of games. Maybe DM should say nothing at half time? Maybe the players need to ball up play harder the last 8 minutes? The talent is there, just need to fix the mental problems and finish games. Not sure if the blame is on DM on the players, but someone needs to step up and put an end to the second half failures!

Thanks for digging that up. Interesting comparison. Probably also good to point out that the other coaching comparison....Buzz Williams.....has a team that is 54 in Ken Pom with a horrible NCSOS (335). I'm amazed at the continued negativity. Being on the bubble in year 3 was what most people said would be successful.

I'd grade Manning....
Recruiting: B+, good eye for talent, should improve with success this year and proven talent development.
Talent Development: A-, the only real weakness is defense but that is improving and will with recruiting too.
In Game Coaching: C+, I still think a lot of these decisions are done for long term team building.

This is a good post. Pretty fair grading. I'd drop is recruitng B+ to a straight B and his in game coaching to a C-, I think his planning for a game is pretty good (B) but his in game adjustments suck (D).

Given the complete dumpster fire of a program that Manning took over and where we are now, he definitely deserves a lot more praise than criticism. If Collins stays, we're a legit top 25 team next year. To do that in four years should be commended.

This is a good post. Pretty fair grading. I'd drop is recruitng B+ to a straight B and his in game coaching to a C-, I think his planning for a game is pretty good (B) but his in game adjustments suck (D).

Manning has a few more regular season games and the ACCT to beat one or two top 25 teams. If it doesn't happen, it's the NIT. No top 50 wins with the talent on this team would be inexcusable. The loss of Collins will devastate our rebuilding effort. I hope Manning surprises me, but I'm predicting 17-13, a first round loss in the ACCT, one or two wins in the NIT and Collins to the NBA.

Manning has a few more regular season games and the ACCT to beat one or two top 25 teams. If it doesn't happen, it's the NIT. No top 50 wins with the talent on this team would be inexcusable. The loss of Collins will devastate our rebuilding effort. I hope Manning surprises me, but I'm predicting 17-13, a first round loss in the ACCT, one or two wins in the NIT and Collins to the NBA.

You lay out a pretty likely scenario. I think getting to the NIT in year three is pretty good. The Collins departure will be a big set back and Manning needs to get his recruiting in gear to deal with that.

I can't say that I disagree with any of this. We should have beaten Xavier, Northwestern, and Duke. However, I'm not totally sure that the loss of Collins will devastate a rebuilding effort. It will unquestionably hurt us, but I don't think it will necessarily devastate us. Still lots of talent coming back next year with Crawford and Woods ... and the addition of Chaundree Brown. If Melo Eggleston can contribute, that will be a big plus. Others will simply have to "up" their games (most notably Dinos, Doral, and Brandon Childress). If Collins departs, I expect Danny to add a grad transfer.

And, yes, we still have time to beat 1 or 2 top 25 teams.

I think Collins stays. He is very young and has a lot to learn. Plus life in the NBA is not a lot of fun. Lots of travel and hanger ons. Another year at Wake with an insurance policy is the way to go. IMO

I think Collins stays. He is very young and has a lot to learn. Plus life in the NBA is not a lot of fun. Lots of travel and hanger ons. Another year at Wake with an insurance policy is the way to go. IMO

How much could he insure himself for? Is it for a career ending injury?

Yeah being a 21 year old kid with a million bucks travelling the country.... that would suck.

How much could he insure himself for? Is it for a career ending injury?

He can be insured for loss of position in the draft as well. Wake is allowed to pick up the tab if we do things the right way.

So that's a B, an A-, and a C-. That comes out to what, a B-? Giving Manning anything less than an A- overall just seems silly to me at this point. If we don't get to 18 wins and miss the tournament drop him down to a B+ maybe.

Are you arguing that we have top 25 talent? Either on paper or in real life?

RJ is correct. Lloyds insured Tim Duncan for his senior year. Actually had some law students in London and we went to Lloyds and were shown the policy.

Did someone just claim life in the NBA is not fun?!?

Yes-- it is not just a nice tour of the US. It is getting into a strange town late at night, trying to get some sleep, getting up for practice, playing a game and getting on another flight. It is playing almost three times as many games and having practices one after the other. Eating out every night sometimes in very good places other times not so great. Few NBA players love the grind.

So that's a B, an A-, and a C-. That comes out to what, a B-? Giving Manning anything less than an A- overall just seems silly to me at this point. If we don't get to 18 wins and miss the tournament drop him down to a B+ maybe.

I don't believe in grade inflation. I think thus far he has done low to mid B work. For me C would put him on the hot seat, D or less would be worth firing, a B is good for a couple more seasons to see where this goes and A work would merit a 6 year extension. Comparisons to Bennett are great in retrospect and things worked out really well for UVA, but at this point in his tenure it was not a certainty that Bennett was going to make UVA a perennial top 20 team, and like wise it is not certain Manning will do it either. I am fine with the accomplishments manning has achieved thus far, but I also don't think it is yet obvious that we are headed back to the top of the ACC.

you people are pieces of work. you claim he is no Tony Bennett (thought of excellence in turning a team around), but then his numbers in year 3 are close to the same...he gets a C. fuck you guys and your unrealistic goals.

Wake is not the big time program that will bring in big time coaches, get your head out of your ass. Manning has done a great job, but not the best coach in the league. you guys just have to bitch about something...

Back