• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

We will see. If 2026-17 was any indication I feel pretty confident in how the majority of the board will react to the above situation.
You clearly don't if you think that is how the board will react.

Now wait a second, Kansas knew that was a chance with Roy. That’s the beauty of the Miller hire. Wake is his destination job. A 35 year old with his skills with Wake as a destination job is a once a generation opportunity.

We are not KU or UNC folks. Roy Williams ain’t walking through that door.

Get Ken to buy out Manning’s contract and put Wes in place. WIN WIN and were off. If it works, we have us something for a long long time. If not, what have we lost?

A deep dive on WM: The philosophy of coaching, according to UNCG's Wes Miller

This team made its way playing defense. The Spartans are No. 6 in the nation in scoring defense, allowing just more than 62 points per game.
Miller, who at 35 is still the seventh-youngest coach in Division I, realized he had to work on himself as much as his fledgling program. He had to change his identity before he could change the Spartans.

Since installing the press and changing UNCG’s defensive philosophy, Miller’s teams are 52-17 with a pair of Southern Conference regular-season titles, an NIT berth and now an NCAA berth. He signed a contract extension in September, good through June 30, 2022, that is paying him a base salary of $233,450 this season and $242,788 next season.

This kind of thinking is why Wake sucks at basketball.

If you expect success, you demand it. It you want failure, all you have to do is allow it.

If Wellman fires Manning now, his track record over three coaches suggests he doesn’t understand how to define and measure success, doesn’t demand or expect it, and has no clue what it takes to build it.

That statement would be a great argument for firing [Redacted] after year one. That ship has sailed.

I see a guy who fired a coach that won 2/3 of his games and was a great recruiter for lack of postseason success, hired a journeyman with no proven head coaching or recruiting success and tolerated the worst 4 year stretch in program history, and then fired a coach the moment he rectified the talent situation the prior coach left him in. WTF am I supposed to make of that if I’m a coach considering the Wake job.

At this point, I'm willing to hand the keys to the motorcycle to Wes simply because it looks like he understands how to get his players to play defense, and on top of that, the results match the intent. However, I'm a little squeamish when it comes to SOS, but I reckon 'ol Donnie Ross has probably already done his homework. Or has he really been too busy bangin' whores?

BTW, d-ross, where are you on the importance of being able to bang inside?

You clearly don't if you think that is how the board will react.

Were you around during the 16-17 season? If we go 21-11 next year but Hoard is ACC freshman of the year, we lose some close games on the road, and the board thinks we had the potential to go 27-5, most of this board will lose their shit (completely ignoring the fact that they thought less than a year ago that we wouldn’t make the tournament).

I’ll say this. If UNCG pulls off the upset in the first round, the panic will set in around here. And probably rightfully so.

I don’t understand the obsession with whether or not a coach will stay. Wake isn’t a stepping stone job. The institution is the whore or wife. We are a wife with bad taste in men.

Were you around during the 16-17 season? If we go 21-11 next year but Hoard is ACC freshman of the year, we lose some close games on the road, and the board thinks we had the potential to go 27-5, most of this board will lose their shit (completely ignoring the fact that they thought less than a year ago that we wouldn’t make the tournament).
You're saying some dumbbbbbbb shit.

If Wellman fires Manning now, his track record over three coaches suggests he doesn’t understand how to define and measure success, doesn’t demand or expect it, and has no clue what it takes to build it.

I see a guy who fired a coach that won 2/3 of his games and was a great recruiter for lack of postseason success, hired a journeyman with no proven head coaching or recruiting success and tolerated the worst 4 year stretch in program history, and then fired a coach the moment he rectified the talent situation the prior coach left him in. WTF am I supposed to make of that if I’m a coach considering the Wake job.

Point 1) that has become painfully obvious w/r/t Wellman and his ability to gauge when/how/who/why to fire and hire someone. He got incredibly lucky with Prosser it seems, who was a great fit for the school, but a special person who was able to pull in some remarkably gifted players in his short time here. But had Wellman done his homework, he'd have seen that Skip's teams never played defense as long as he was at the helm. Bielein in retrospect would have been a better fit if you go the similar school environment \ coaching chops combo.

Point 2) This is rectifying the dearth of talent dilemma at a program as storied as Wake Forest??

Chennault, T. (x-fer)
Desrosiers, C. (x-fer)
McKie, T. (yeoman, tweener)
Tabb, M. (#) (ooff)
Terrell, J.T. (selfish ball hog, x-fer)

Fields, A. (who is this guy anyway?)
Fischer, C. (had potential, but a reach for ur second class)
Green, D. (legend)

Cavanaugh, T. (good one, too bad we couldn't keep him when Bzz was fired)
Jones, Madison (reach)
Miller, Codi (solid, but shuda seen how bad a shooter he was in HS)
Moto, Arnaud (solid, had potential)
Rountree, A. (oy, if only he wasn't a pirate too)
Thomas, Dev. (probably best find, but never learned to shoot FT's or be positive)
Washington, A. (reach, but not a bad project in a 5-man class)

McClinton, Gr. (not sure)
Overton, Miles (oy vay)

What were you saying again??

People were generally pretty happy during the '16-'17 season. It's only when the '17-'18 season provided context on the previous one that people realized it wasn't the positive we all wanted it to be.

Were you happier with 2003 than you were with 2005? I sure wasn’t, even though 2005 had higher potential, IMO.

I don't remember those years specifically but the point is pretty obvious, I think. If a season with great potential due to talent on hand is squandered due to poor coaching, fans are going to be unhappy with the coaching. If a team with less talent over-achieves due to great coaching (whether it be game-planning, motivating, developing players, whatever), fans are going to be happy with the coaching.
This is why you hear rumblings from Chapel Hill, for example, in years where their results aren't so great - everyone knows they always have talent so if the results aren't there, where do you look - the coaching.

I don't remember those years specifically but the point is pretty obvious, I think. If a season with great potential due to talent on hand is squandered due to poor coaching, fans are going to be unhappy with the coaching. If a team with less talent over-achieves due to great coaching (whether it be game-planning, motivating, developing players, whatever), fans are going to be happy with the coaching.
This is why you hear rumblings from Chapel Hill, for example, in years where their results aren't so great - everyone knows they always have talent so if the results aren't there, where do you look - the coaching.

No one thought that 2003 team could be as good as it was...obviously we held out hope that a Senior Josh Howard led team, with returning Sophs Danielius and Downey, could be the foundation of a solid, competitive team, but Gray, Strick and Big E were only Frosh so you knew it could be a mixed bag. Well that team certainly overachieved -- and perhaps I remember it more fondly because I was at the Dean Dome for my only visit when we smacked around those Holes like a cat with a favorite toy -- and as it turned out, was Skip's finest defensive team, allowing a paltry (for Skip) 67.8 ppg (still only 117th in the nation) en route to several upsets and a Tourney bid.

Of course, that seemingly early exit by Cliff Ellis' scrappy Auburn team left a real sour taste in our mouths, but had someone else beside Gray stepped up to help J-Ho, that team might have snuck into the Elite 8. Looking back, the closest one of Skip's teams came to that kind of defense was, oddly enough, in Dino's final year with the pack-line defense, and that was still only good for 69.5 ppg allowed, and 199th out of 334 teams. A testament to what a great defensive player and rebounder Josh Howard was.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the obsession with whether or not a coach will stay. Wake isn’t a stepping stone job. The institution is the whore or wife. We are a wife with bad taste in men.

Truly. Who is the last Wake coach to voluntarily leave for a better job? Odom left because he was asked to leave and not given a new contract at Wake. Trader Jack McCloskey is probably the last coach to leave Wake voluntarily and get a better job. And that was in the 1970's.

wake is not a stepping stone in hoops

i've been saying this for years

wake is a bomb ass coaching gig if you don't suck

wake is not a stepping stone in hoops

i've been saying this for years

wake is a bomb ass coaching gig if you don't suck

Wake is a destination job in basketball but an incubator for football.

Truly. Who is the last Wake coach to voluntarily leave for a better job? Odom left because he was asked to leave and not given a new contract at Wake. Trader Jack McCloskey is probably the last coach to leave Wake voluntarily and get a better job. And that was in the 1970's.

So Tacy quit, Staak got got, Odom was "un-renewed" and left, Skip died, Dino was done dirty, Bzz was billboarded (not as bad as water-boarding) and Danny will be ___________.

a) Destined for greatness
b) A dour reminder of why Wellman is detested for being a dolt??

Back