• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Don't look now but Fox Sports is currently replaying its Danny Manning special, 'Driven - Danny Manning: Demon Deacon Revival'

Expect Wellman to give Manning a nice raise and contract extension after the season ends.

Any post game comments from the captain of the titanic?
He said we stopped getting the ball inside. My question is why didnt you call a timeout, chew their asses out, and draw up a play for Collins?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

End of game lineups aren't hard. The last 8 minutes should be Crawford, Woods, Collins and whichever other two give us the best shot to win. This game it was Wilbekin and McClinton. They were playing the best and McClinton worked well against their small and smaller lineups.

Collins only played 30 minutes. No foul trouble. Only 30 minutes.

Incorrect. Collins picked up his 2nd foul with 7:04 left in the 1st half and sat the reminder. He also sat from the 13:15 - 11:12 mark in the first, so nine of the 10 minutes he missed were in the first half, seven of which were directly related to foul trouble. He sat less than a minute in the second half. Can make a valid argument about the poor timing of that one minute on the bench, but your assertion in general is just completely incorrect.

Incorrect. Collins picked up his 2nd foul with 7:04 left in the 1st half and sat the reminder. He also sat from the 13:15 - 11:12 mark in the first, so nine of the 10 minutes he missed were in the first half, seven of which were directly related to foul trouble. He sat less than a minute in the second half. Can make a valid argument about the poor timing of that one minute on the bench, but your assertion in general is just completely incorrect.

That being said, I agree 100 percent on McClinton. He played a great game and defended Blossomgame better than anybody else on the roster. Got a big board and put-back. I've counted him out several times and he keeps proving me wrong.

Manning just doesn't seem to care about building leads. It's as if he assumes he always has enough cushion and any lead is an opportunity to rest his best players.

This is well stated. He rests his key players as though he is planning for a close finish rather than playing his key players early so an insurmountable lead can be created. Taking out Collins and Crawford with about 3 minutes left was a critical error.

He said we stopped getting the ball inside. My question is why didnt you call a timeout, chew their asses out, and draw up a play for Collins?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep.

Thanks for the correction, Les.

We're staring at a seventh straight year without meaningful games in March. Seven. At what point does reality sink in for our Athletic Department?

This after such a pleasant surprise to end our football season.

The AD has no need to acknowledge anything. There is zero accountability. Ron Wellman does whatever he wants because he knows that certain people (big donors and small) will keep giving money to build new facilities and buy postage stamps. Enablers one and all.

In the last 7 years what happened when the money dried up (ever so briefly)? Ronnie was forced to fire [Redacted]. Immediately the same people enabling Ronnie gave again and he got to hire another coach. Had the donations been held another 6 most or year maybe he would have "retired" or moved into some honorary position that did not affect the actual AD any longer.

Ron Wellman is criminally incompetent. In some ways, hiring Manning was a worse decision that hiring BZ. BZ was possibly the worst hire ever at a power 5 major sports program. That said, it came at a time when the program was extremely sound. Flyers on lesser known coaches have been known to work in the past. It was a terrible decision, compounded by Wellman's poor judgement, but not completely unprecedented.

What makes the Manning hire comparably bad and perhaps worse was that the program had been driven to the brink of irrelevancy and needed a great hire more that at any time since the inception of the basketball program.

Wellman took a true flyer on a coach with only a couple of years head coaching experience, poor intangibles, and significant warning signs.

Manning is a low key coach. That can work but it is almost always a negative in college basketball where the league is "coach driven" as opposed to "player driven" like the NBA. Most top coaches have an energy that inspires and gives confidence to young players whose games are still developing.

The majority of highly successful college coaches were borderline players whose passion for the game drove them to find every angle and advantage to stay in the game. At some point in order to stay a part of basketball, they had to coach. Star players typically depend on their talent to succeed. There is less need to explore every nuance of the game to gain an advantage.

Manning is older than most coaches with so little college coaching experience. That is a natural byproduct of his success in the NBA but limits his upside potential.

When Wellman most needed Greg Marshall or a young coach brimming with potential, he took another flyer. He trusted his very fallible gut and took a chance on a high risk low reward coach.

Programs can survive a really bad hire. Not many can survive two consecutive bad hires. A third bad hire could lead to a multi-decade downturn. The ground for failure is well prepared with Wellman, the LOWF attitude, and donors who consider failure on the athletic field as some kind of proof of academic success.

Other than that, Happy New Year.

Great post, knowell. Any energetic coach is particularly important at program like Wake.

Ron Wellman is criminally incompetent. In some ways, hiring Manning was a worse decision that hiring BZ. BZ was possibly the worst hire ever at a power 5 major sports program. That said, it came at a time when the program was extremely sound. Flyers on lesser known coaches have been known to work in the past. It was a terrible decision, compounded by Wellman's poor judgement, but not completely unprecedented.

What makes the Manning hire comparably bad and perhaps worse was that the program had been driven to the brink of irrelevancy and needed a great hire more that at any time since the inception of the basketball program.

Wellman took a true flyer on a coach with only a couple of years head coaching experience, poor intangibles, and significant warning signs.

Manning is a low key coach. That can work but it is almost always a negative in college basketball where the league is "coach driven" as opposed to "player driven" like the NBA. Most top coaches have an energy that inspires and gives confidence to young players whose games are still developing.

The majority of highly successful college coaches were borderline players whose passion for the game drove them to find every angle and advantage to stay in the game. At some point in order to stay a part of basketball, they had to coach. Star players typically depend on their talent to succeed. There is less need to explore every nuance of the game to gain an advantage.

Manning is older than most coaches with so little college coaching experience. That is a natural byproduct of his success in the NBA but limits his upside potential.

When Wellman most needed Greg Marshall or a young coach brimming with potential, he took another flyer. He trusted his very fallible gut and took a chance on a high risk low reward coach.

Programs can survive a really bad hire. Not many can survive two consecutive bad hires. A third bad hire could lead to a multi-decade downturn. The ground for failure is well prepared with Wellman, the LOWF attitude, and donors who consider failure on the athletic field as some kind of proof of academic success.

Other than that, Happy New Year.

nicely stated.

What coach rests key players in the stretch drive? If you wanted to get him a blow, do it around the 12 or 8 minute TO. Not the 4 minute TO.

Or just use timeouts for a quick breather.

That being said, I agree 100 percent on McClinton. He played a great game and defended Blossomgame better than anybody else on the roster. Got a big board and put-back. I've counted him out several times and he keeps proving me wrong.

Agree. McClinton has been solid in his role the last 2-3 games

Or just use timeouts for a quick breather.

This. Given our inability to play with Collins on the bench and our limited options at point guard, calling a TO to give him and/or Crawford a blow may be just as important as to stop a run.

If college basketball is a coach-driven sport, and it is, then Manning was still a better hire than Bz. Manning has serious flaws and I now don't think he belongs here, but I can still justify his hire better than Bz. I will never ever comprehend the Bz hire. We all saw the train wreck coming from Day 1. At least Manning had a number of years with Self under his belt that we were hoping he could draw from. I was much more wait-and-see with DM than Bz.

Bz didn't have much energy either, but he compounded it with an off-putting personality. I'm proud Manning represents us at least from a human-being perspective.

Back