• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

So you would have left Collins in when he picked up his 2nd foul withnover 12 mins left in the first half? I can see arguing to put him back in with 4-5 min left in the first half, but we were playing well and we couldn't afford to let him get #3.
I would have played him with 4-5 mins left in the first. A poster quoted back on 12/30 that JC is 6th on the team in minutes per game and has yet to foul out of a game (too lazy to pull current stats). It's bad coaching for your best player to have the 6th most minutes.

And we are saving him for the end of games but not going to him.

I would have played him with 4-5 mins left in the first. A poster quoted back on 12/30 that JC is 6th on the team in minutes per game and has yet to foul out of a game (too lazy to pull current stats). It's bad coaching for your best player to have the 6th most minutes.

JC has definitely fouled out of games...get the point, though.

I disagree with those that are putting end of game collapses on player's lack of execution. Manning is a putrid in-game coach. The last two minutes of games are just more obvious than the 38 other minutes. Mitch on Kennard yesterday was more noticeable in the end, but what about the 20 minutes prior? Instead of going to a zone when they were torching us from deep, we run man defense and get lost on screens leaving wide open 3's. Why not address that? Make changes, strategize, have another option, etc...

People accused Manning of being really stubborn his first year. I think it's obvious now that he doesn't know how to adjust during games and then defends that approach when we lose down the stretch. He's had some great game plans, but things change throughout the game and he freezes or goes back to what hasn't worked because that was their game plan coming in. That is enough evidence for me. It's poor coaching and poor strategy.

Who was the guy that Wake had apparent interest in bringing in as an associate head coach this year? He ended up landing at another school but, if I remember correctly, he had head coaching experience.

I know some posters are in love with Buzz Williams. Note should be taken that last night against VT a BC sub made his first 10 shots, including 9 threes, finishing 10 for 12. Sometimes it's just hard to cool off a shooter.

Of course they did.

Teams like VT, Xavier, St. Mary's, Ga. Tech, Cincinnati and hell, even South Carolina, win games.

We lose games.

Poor coaching on our part is the reason for the loss. Childress throwing up 3 pointers that do not go in when the game is on the line, at least 2 10 second calls on us, at least 2 shot clock violations on us, and horrible end of game defense.

Of course they did.

Teams like VT, Xavier, St. Mary's, Ga. Tech, Cincinnati and hell, even South Carolina, win games.

We lose games.

Yeah most of those teams blow the teams they play out, which doesn't really lend itself to having to win close games.

Virginia Tech - 4-2
Xavier - 3-3
Saint Mary's - 1-0
Georgia Tech - 3-1
Cincinnati - 3-1
South Carolina - 2-2

Total those teams are 16-9 in games decided by 5 points or less (or in OT)

I would bet a fair amount of money that those teams finish lower than 64% in games decided by 5 points or less (or OT) throughout the rest of the year.

Winning close games is primarily a game of chance, not skill. It evens out over the long run.

Wake is 1-4 on the year in 5 points or less. Even more of an argument why keeping the lead is key. We have blown leads, but we have also gotten "unlucky" to lose those games. Things like that tend to even out. Hopefully they even out for us this year.

Yeah, we have a lot more talent than these teams and we shouldn't lose these games we are ultra close in. Obvious failure! Sad!

Only Villanova should have beaten this talent! Also, since we should be in contention for the national championship (only Villanova has had more talent on their roster), we should not be consistent at the expense of losses that are going to make it so much harder for us to seed well and march to the final four like always.

And don't get me started on letting the players learn from their mistakes in order to make them adjust to your system and instill knowledge, experience and create leaders on the floor who know without a doubt what the coach expects. They are all upperclassmen, no vital recruits are coming to fill obvious holes and this is our BEST SHOT at a title!!!!! Why think long term when THE TIME IS NOW!!!!! SAD!

ETA: when you have THIS MUCH TALENT, you adjust to them, not vice versa!!!! DUMB!!!!

Last edited:
Sorry doof, but things aren't going to simply "even out" if we play offense and defense like we have in the final five minutes of these games.

It would if our coaches and players treated those five minutes the same as the 35 before them. But sadly, especially on offense, they are not

Sorry doof, but things aren't going to simply "even out" if we play offense and defense like we have in the final five minutes of these games.

It would if our coaches and players treated those five minutes the same as the 35 before them. But sadly, especially on offense, they are not

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect for the team to eventually play for the final 5-10 minutes like they have for the first 30-35 minutes. Whether or not that happens this year is a question I don't know the answer to.

Poor coaching on our part is the reason for the loss. Childress throwing up 3 pointers that do not go in when the game is on the line, at least 2 10 second calls on us, at least 2 shot clock violations on us, and horrible end of game defense.

If you are talking about the Duke game only, we only had one 10 second call and one of the shot clock violations was a bad call that ultimately helped cost us the game. But you are correct that the last second shots we were throwing up were far less than ideal...

But VT WON the game!

They were 14.5 point favorites and shot 59%. If the BC sub had been contained, the Hokies would have covered easily. They were up by 18 in the first half. Buzz was quoted that a huge area of growth for the team has been learning how to play through adversity. I agree, the Deacs need to learn that as well.

VT got in trouble...withstood the run and hot hand and WON THE GAME!

Wake led big over Clemson...Clemson made a run...Wake folded and LOST THE GAME!

Buzz coached...DM didn't

VT got in trouble...withstood the run and hot hand and WON THE GAME!

Wake led big over Clemson...Clemson made a run...Wake folded and LOST THE GAME!

Buzz coached...DM didn't

It's SIMPLE folks!! THIS GUY GETS IT!! You JUST COACH! Coach and WIN! EASY!!

Last edited:
We need some sort of formula for the credibility points available the rest of the schedule.

Not a Manning fan...but that was much better game management today. Good to see!

Back