• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

I like my coaches not on the bottom of the pacific ocean.

Still better than Buzz.

Let's go after Pelicans HC Alvin Gentry, just so we can make [Redacted] lose his job one more time.

Ranking the Oranges: South Orange > West Orange > Orange > East Orange

On the plus side Wake is being mentioned as a leading candidate for the best available candidates. On the minus side Wellman seems to have been precisely the bozo we suspected and saddled Currie with an impossibly bad contract for Manning based on who the fuck knows. I wonder if that precludes a pricey replacement (Willard,Smart, Beilein, Matta) and means we are in the market for a Forbes or Miller (he should also call Richey)...

Miller should be the absolute floor and only after we are publicly rebuked by about 5 high profile coaches.

Miller should be the absolute floor and only after we are publicly rebuked by about 5 high profile coaches.

I agree, I just wonder if he's closer to the ceiling than we'd like. Is Wake ponying up $3 mil for Manning and $3 mil for Willard if he's interested?

I mean, perhaps so! I surely have no idea one way or the other. Just strikes me that will factor into the decision-making process. Or maybe someone like Pat Chambers isn't super expensive?

I mean, perhaps so! I surely have no idea one way or the other. Just strikes me that will factor into the decision-making process. Or maybe someone like Pat Chambers isn't super expensive?

Now we're talking!

I agree, I just wonder if he's closer to the ceiling than we'd like. Is Wake ponying up $3 mil for Manning and $3 mil for Willard if he's interested?

$3M is the bottom of the market on top coaches for Wake. I wouldn't be surprised if we paid more to get a good one.

It really doesn’t make any sense to eat a huge buyout only to turn around and go for a cheap unknown/mediocre coach. Better to just let the buyout run off if that’s the plan.

Danny's salary, whatever it may be, is already baked into the next five Wake Athletics budgets. It has to be, because of the Wake announced extension through the end of the 2024-2025 season.

The financial questions are:
How much can Wake afford to pay a other coach on top of that?
Is there a lump sum due to Danny upon or shortly after he gets fired? If so, can Wake fund that?
Can Wake negotiate payout to Danny that is less than the reported "fully guaranteed" amount? If so, are there resource$ to fund the payout amount($)?

It really doesn’t make any sense to eat a huge buyout only to turn around and go for a cheap unknown/mediocre coach. Better to just let the buyout run off if that’s the plan.

Fuck no. Your average High School coach would be an upgrade.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Fuck no. Your average High School coach would be an upgrade.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

You realize that’s how we got here right?

We'll find out soon enough if we can/have the ability to gather the cash to send Dani Boy packing.
We'll likely never know the gory details, but we'll at least know the end result.
As for paying for a high profile coach, I think if someone good... really good... is interested and wants the job, we'll find the goddamn money. Even if Wake has to print it ourselves.

Let's go after Pelicans HC Alvin Gentry, just so we can make [Redacted] lose his job one more time.
I think Danny should join redacted as an assistant coach in the pros. What a bench that will be.

Back