• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

If it ends up in court, the terms of the contract would become public. That would make interesting reading.
If it ends up in court, Manning is insane as well as a bad coach. No one sues an academic institution with a law school and wins.

Clearly I am serious and was serious. And history has shown it seriously would have been a better decision than we implemented. Just as not hanging ourself with the neuse of the Joel would have been a better decision.

I'm sorry that these views were viewed as not credible. It turns out they were dead on. Uncredible views often turn out to have been the proper path. The last 10 years show that this would have been a better path.

Now let's make the best decision in 2020. Dump the Joel now. Beg Wes or Pat to take the job. Rebuild for 2030.

Why are you so into the stadium just for basketball? We rarely fill up BB&T Field, yet Clawson and football seem to be doing just fine.

I could take DR's take up there easier if he knew the difference between a river in North Carolina and a rope tie historically used for the execution of the condemned.
And, it'd probably be better for a lawyer to find a less historically loaded metaphor to describe his opinion on, among other things, keeping a stadium named for a former minority citizen. Who's also a war hero.

Last edited:
Funny how the people with Manning gone sources have gotten really quiet. Makes you wonder.

Funny how your position has changed 3 different times. Shut the fuck up. You have no sources and it’s quite clear.

I don't trust anyone on here to have any unique insight beyond their own opinions. I don't know if Matta or Beilein are interested in coaching again, much less at Wake Forest in 2020. Don't know if Manning will be bought out or how onerous his contract may be. It's fun to speculate on what may be, though. It's all we have given that the current regime is yet to demonstrate it has a fucking clue when it comes to the men's basketball program. 10+ years in the wilderness. Just hoping Currie is smart enough to realize he needs to fire Manning post haste and hit a homerun with this hire or be sent packing.

I don't trust anyone on here to have any unique insight beyond their own opinions. I don't know if Matta or Beilein are interested in coaching again, much less at Wake Forest in 2020. Don't know if Manning will be bought out or how onerous his contract may be. It's fun to speculate on what may be, though. It's all we have given that the current regime is yet to demonstrate it has a fucking clue when it comes to the men's basketball program. 10+ years in the wilderness. Just hoping Currie is smart enough to realize he needs to fire Manning post haste and hit a homerun with this hire or be sent packing.

The current AD has been at Wake 10 months, not 10+years. His first window of opportunity (see other basketball coach firing dates) is about to open. We will see if things change, with the change at the top of the Athletics Department.

It wont go to court if Wake wont want to show in open court the stupidity of the extension.

Wake should just fire him and argue the contract is void on the basis that the then-athletic director, suffering from the effects of a head injury, was not competent to enter into the contract.

Wake should just fire him and argue the contract is void on the basis that the then-athletic director, suffering from the effects of a head injury, was not competent to enter into the contract.

Would you argue it pro bono? :)

The current AD has been at Wake 10 months, not 10+years. His first window of opportunity (see other basketball coach firing dates) is about to open. We will see if things change, with the change at the top of the Athletics Department.

I should have said "regime" instead of current regime as agree Currie shouldn't be lumped in with that crew yet, though it's not as if he's acting in a vacuum.

I could take DR's take up there easier if he knew the difference between a river in North Carolina and a rope tie historically used for the execution of the condemned.
And, it'd probably be better for a lawyer to find a less historically loaded metaphor to describe his opinion on, among other things, keeping a stadium named for a former minority citizen. Who's also a war hero.

Right.
Ph was quoting me and I realized that I wasn't very clear with my writing of that sentence. (Imma bout to go edit it)
I'm in total agreement with you; in fact, that's my entire supposition. I think Sportsnut's source saying that negotiations stalled could be entirely explained by Manning (or his agent most likely) stubbornly insisting that he's MET some if not all of the incentives.
Currie is possibly telling him, "no, dumbass, you ain't met em" and thus that's where we are.
It really depends on what the fuck Wellman agreed to; that man could've written anything.
End of the day, we're probably going to wind up right where you predicted: in court.

I think this is a good possibility. Daniel’s been spewing self-praise that sounds scripted...”we took a step forward this year,” “we’re moving in the right direction”, etc., as if to say, “I’ve earned the incentive pay.”

No, Daniel. No you haven’t. It’s a damn joke that you’ve earned a salRy.

If it ends up in court, Manning is insane as well as a bad coach. No one sues an academic institution with a law school and wins.

Was Wake's legal counsel at the time of the contract negotiations a Wake grad? Not trolling, just curious. My recollection is that the answer is yes, which I suspect is part of BudatWake's frustration.

J Reid Morgan is currently WF's Senior VP and General Counsel and has been in that position for years. At the time the deal was struck in 2017, Manning signed the largest, by far, employment contract (in monetary value) in WF history. Morgan either knew or should have known (and approved) every term in that contract.

J Reid Morgan is currently WF's Senior VP and General Counsel and has been in that position for years. At the time the deal was struck in 2017, Manning signed the largest, by far, employment contract (in monetary value) in WF history. Morgan either knew or should have known (and approved) every term in that contract.

IIRC, he was in the Wake Law Class of 1979 or 1980. As someone else has posted, he simply may have been over-ruled by the powers-that-were at the time.

The guy has been at Wake 41 years and is pulling over $1 million/year in compensation. Another boomer leech in the bloated Wake Forest administration.

Currie has been the Wake AD since May 1, 2019. If you think Ron Wellman let him have any authority prior to then...
You’re right - Currie was named to the position 3/3/19 but there was that two month transition period. Can’t fault him for not canning Manning last year. This year however...

Back