• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

This is consistent with what I had heard. Wellman and Bz shared Midwest connections, and Wellman could not get over how well Air Force played when they blew WF out at Colorado Springs, just amazing how much emphasis Wellman put on that one essentially irrelevant OOC game, when WF was not ready to play. Also, Bz was the one candidate that Wellman could essentially convince/force to retain all the WF assistant coaches (which should have been a red flag). At the time, Wellman was convinced that Bz was an elite Xs and Os coach and teaming them with Battle, Rusty (while grooming Childress) was the recipe for success, while keeping program continuity. It really was a naïve plan, but Wellman compounded the mistake, by failing to acknowledge his miscalclulation, while blaming the "lunatic" fringe of the fanbase, at least in part, for the program tanking.

Bz was destined for failure from Day 1. The program has never recovered from that decision.

I'm sorry y'all. But Brad has informed us that (1) Gaudio was fired for sexual harrassment/misconduct; and (2) that because of (1) Wellman spend a bunch of time reaching out to other coaches, prior to firing Gaudio, before he settled on [Redacted].

When it comes to Pilch and LK on one hand, and Brad on the other, I'm going to have to go with Brad.

I wouldnt get my hopes up about Manning being fired. Thats all i gotta say about that.

I wouldnt get my hopes up about Manning being fired. Thats all i gotta say about that.

I’d like to know your “sources” and why your “sources” change their mind on Manning every day.

whatchatalkinabout.jpg

All such a player would have to do is take a few easy courses in summer school, take the bare minimum in the fall and pass, then sign up for courses in the spring and show up when he feels like it.

What do you think Zion Williamson's transcript looks like ?

NC Central University.

Best guess is that he was in "good academic standing" when he left Duke. K likes to maintain that APR.

The rest of the discussion was about how a "one and done" guy would be treated at Wake. And I will reiterate that at Wake such a player would be expected to go to class and do his academic work. It would be known in places that matter if that wasn't happening.

Wake just had its first one and done last season. The top 25 recruits who came to Wake earlier all stayed at least two years.

I'm sorry y'all. But Brad has informed us that (1) Gaudio was fired for sexual harrassment/misconduct; and (2) that because of (1) Wellman spend a bunch of time reaching out to other coaches, prior to firing Gaudio, before he settled on [Redacted].

When it comes to Pilch and LK on one hand, and Brad on the other, I'm going to have to go with Brad.

And I've been saying that since the day Dino was fired...but what the hell...nice that some of you are catching up...

With Hatch in charge does anyone really think Manning will get fired?

I argued we should hire Miller in 2010. Time proved he would have been the best choice this last decade.

I argue again we should hire Miller in 2020. I don’t care about anything other than results in the 20s & 30s. I anticipate those decades will once again demonstrate Miller is the best choice at this time.

Lol. I need Sokolove to start doing dr.

With Hatch in charge does anyone really think Manning will get fired?

As posters have said, hatch likes Manning and that is why when wellman wanted to double down on Manning, hatch green lit it. Posted on the Currie thread that I just don't see hatch as a micro manager from my experiences with him. I really don't see hatch telling wellman or Currie to do this or that, but more so going along with their suggestions. If Currie wants Manning gone, which I have a feeling (but no sources) that he will, then hatch will sign off on it.

Sounds like Shaka Smart will be fired. Texas had 27 points with 8 mins to against Baylor. Apparently they looked awful. Not sure he in the answer.

Sounds like Shaka Smart will be fired. Texas had 27 points with 8 mins to against Baylor. Apparently they looked awful. Not sure he in the answer.

Shaka's performance at Texas has been surprising in bad ways. Particularly in his not implementing the "havoc" defense his teams played at VCU. That defense was what he was known for.

If I'm the AD hiring him this year, (after TX fire him) he needs to do some serious explaining about the change in defensive philosophy.

Also, his teams haven't seemed to "gel" and play together well. Another extended conversation about reasons that is the situation and what it would take to make sure the teams he coaches for me would gel and play well together.

Maybe Shaka is just a bad fit at TX. His success at VCU has not translated to success at Texas.

Shaka?

Shaka's performance at Texas has been surprising in bad ways. Particularly in his not implementing the "havoc" defense his teams played at VCU. That defense was what he was known for.

If I'm the AD hiring him this year, (after TX fire him) he needs to do some serious explaining about the change in defensive philosophy.

Also, his teams haven't seemed to "gel" and play together well. Another extended conversation about reasons that is the situation and what it would take to make sure the teams he coaches for me would gel and play well together.

Maybe Shaka is just a bad fit at TX. His success at VCU has not translated to success at Texas.

Shaka?

It doesn't really sit well at UT-Austin having the 3rd or 4th best basketball team in the state.

Since Smart has been coaching Texas, defense has never been his problem. He can’t seem to find a consistent way to score points.
His KenPom defenses have been: 40, 21, 12, 26, & currently 35. Other than Dino’s 3 seasons (58, 22, 29), Wake hasn’t sniffed playing defense that well.

The reason given at the press conference is the same bullshit window dressing as when company management publicly announces a senior executive "retirement" or "position elimination" instead of "our COO sexually harassed his 23 year old assistant at the annual meeting".

Not sure how so many of you scholars fail to comprehend this.

Note: For those of you with the brain power of Shrek dv7, I am not saying Dino Gaudio was fired for sexually harassing his assistant.

I'm sorry y'all. But Brad has informed us that (1) Gaudio was fired for sexual harrassment/misconduct; and (2) that because of (1) Wellman spend a bunch of time reaching out to other coaches, prior to firing Gaudio, before he settled on [name redacted].

Nice job as usual, Sig.

Your superior intellect comes shining through yet again.

Starting with the 2016-17 season (closing in on 4 seasons), here is the collective Big 12 standings:

Kansas 50-14
Baylor 41-24
Texas Tech 38-27
Kansas State 34-30
West Virginia 33-31
Iowa State 28-36
TCU 26-39
Oklahoma 25-39
Texas 24-41
OK State 23-41

With the exception of Kansas, Texas has had a resource and in-state cache' recruiting edge over the rest of the conference. Yet, they have been essentially the worst or second worst Big 12 program in recent seasons. While I would be happy with any new coach, hiring a coach that failed over recent years doesn't seem like a prudent hire at this point.

Back