• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Not trying to call anybody out, just to establish that Manning was on the radar for a while before anything began to leak

The thing about Manning is that there was his resume. Seemingly impressive. Yet anyone that has spent more than five minutes with the guy knows that he is a low personality ass. Completely lacking the ability to sell a program. I have been around him as have others that I know and respect. Everyone is WTF?
If Manning was a competent bench coach he would have done well here because recruiting wasn't the problem.

Not even close. You posted this on 3/19/14:

Which was strange, because this was 11/20/12 and appears to be the first mention:

Then you have these, which all came before your post:

Guess I wasn't first. So I've got that going for me, and that's nice.

“Only now can I acknowledge how glad I am that Wake didn't end up with one or two coaches on the list of candidates who, from all accounts, are pretty much a pain to be around. But in the end, that would have been my problem, and not yours.”

Wonder who those were.

Wish we had got one of those. Sometimes coaches are dicks because they are good enough to get away with it.

Has this board EVER been right about a BB hire? Ever?

No and that applies all the way back to its predecessor boards like Rancho de Nada.

But like a lot of others I come here multiple times per day in March for one reason and one reason only, to see if our current incompetent basketball coach has been fired. And that's the state of Wake basketball. Thank you Ron Wellman.

Duke Basketball Report projecting that Wes Miller is waiting for UNC job but says Wake Forest would "be a fool not to ask" Wes to take the job.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/3/9/21171133/dan-collins-wake-forest-danny-manning

As I have said, that reporting is consistent with what I have been hearing at games along tobacco road this season. I recognize most of you don't actually go to games anymore but for those that do this is a pretty typical mainstream viewpoint: our alums are complete morons and that's why WF basketball sucks. Sucking for 20+ years isn't Danny Manning or any one person's fault. It's our fault.

I see where Country Dan used the word "stewards." We know where he got that. But he's spot on. WF has a coaching problem. But the bigger picture is we have had a "steward" problem. We have not been good stewards. Hopefully Currie can begin cleaning up the mess we created as horrible stewards.

Last edited:
DR makes it sound like it's a Wes Miller article.. He is mentioned 3 out of 4

The thing is there are some tremendous candidates out there. You could start with John Beilein who’s looking for redemption after his Cleveland Cavaliers gig fell apart. Or Pat Kelsey, who is at Winthrop now but used to be an assistant at Wake and Xavier.

He knows the school which is great and he's done a superb job at Winthrop. He also has a bit of personality too, which Wake could use as it rebuilds.

Locally Wes Miller has been outstanding at UNCG. He may be waiting for Ol’ Roy to step down at Chapel Hill, but you’d be a fool not to ask. And then of course there’s our favorite candidate, Northwest Missouri’s Ben McCollum who is on an absolutely epic run in D-II.

Duke Basketball Report projecting that Wes Miller is waiting for UNC job but says Wake Forest would "be a fool not to ask" Wes to take the job.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/3/9/21171133/dan-collins-wake-forest-danny-manning

As I have said, that reporting is consistent with what I have been hearing at games along tobacco road this season. I recognize most of you don't actually go to games anymore but for those that do this is a pretty typical mainstream viewpoint: our alums are complete morons and that's why WF basketball sucks. Sucking for 20+ years isn't Danny Manning or any one person's fault. It's our fault.

I see where Country Dan used the word "stewards." We know where he got that. But he's spot on. WF has a coaching problem. But the bigger picture is we have had a "steward" problem. We have not been good stewards. Hopefully Currie can begin cleaning up the mess we created as horrible stewards.

Log off, that was enough for today. Once HOF Wes is hired at UNC you can sport your Walmart blue.

Many here would be pretty happy to be "sucking" the way Wake was when the Georges were coaching. ACC titles and number 1 rankings are such a drag.

Wasn't Les Robinson the last coach hired by an ACC school directly from ETSU? Meaningless, but the sort of trivia that the media loves.

Many here would be pretty happy to be "sucking" the way Wake was when the Georges were coaching. ACC titles and number 1 rankings are such a drag.

Since 1997, we have appeared in one sweet 16 and no ACC championship games. There can be no question that we have sucked for 23 years.

you should stand up and address the crowd at games or pass out flyers as people walk in the arena or something

Back