• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny O'Brien (MD QB) out for season

I didn't see the game, but based on this thread, I assume he broke his arm attempting a QB sneak. Right?

Vanderbilt's two terrible QBs are a junior and a senior. If he goes anywhere, he's following his former offensive coordinator and going there.

Rodgers little brother is there and has done well.

I've also heard this rumor from someone close to the East Forsyth program, however O'Brien is a RS Soph. So unless he could get a 6th year he'd only have one year of FBS eligiblity left.

It may not be the worst thing to transfer to a top-level FCS program.

If he graduates early, which is likely, he can go anywhere he wants w/o sitting out.

Rodgers little brother is there and has done well.
:tard:

Rodgers' little bro is a junior. Next year he'd be a senior and DOB would be a RS Junior. So he'd be gone by the time he sat out his one year.

Yeah but he only gets one year, not two. Unless you're Russell Wilson that's a hard move.

I believe you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility so since he is a redshirt sophomore he would still have two years left. Maybe there is some intricate rule with transfer but it would seem to me he still has 2 years left.

He can only not sit out if his grad school is something that Maryland doesn't offer. Or something like that.

I don't remember and am too lazy to look it up now. This is when you need Chrispy

I'm pretty sure that if he transfers to another FBS school he can't redshirt again, therefore he would forfeit his third year of eligibility while he was sitting out a year.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that if he transfers to another FBS school he can't redshirt again, therefore he would forfeit his third year of eligibility while he was sitting out a year.

But I thought if he graduated, he could transfer to any grad program MD didn't have(easy way around this) and play immediately. He is on track to graduate this spring, so I believe he could play next year.

But I thought if he graduated, he could transfer to any grad program MD didn't have(easy way around this) and play immediately. He is on track to graduate this spring, so I believe he could play next year.

Yeah, but I can't remember any instance in which someone got 2 years of eligibility after doing that. However I guess it could still happen.

This is true if he sits out a year, which isn't a given. My only point was that if he transfers to a school that has a degree program not offered at Maryland, he would still have two years of playing time left. I thought you were saying that he would only have 1 year even if he transferred to a school that he didn't have to sit out at. My B if I misinterpreted

eta: I think it is incredibly rare Brasky but mainly because it is rare for football players to graduate after the RS soph years. Most of the guys you see are RS Jrs who see their is no playing time for them and so they leave.

Vanderbilt's two terrible QBs are a junior and a senior. If he goes anywhere, he's following his former offensive coordinator and going there.

Jordan Rogers is a JR but he is not terrible.

Vandy's "terrible" qb? I thought Rodgers was pretty good...brother of Aaron ?...

Haven't followed Maryland at all this season. What kind of season did O'Brien have up to date? Lindy's had him first team all ACC (preseason).

Maybe I'm missremembering, but didn't he play very well in one game this year? The back up, I mean.

He looked better than O'Brien in the ND game. If we can run it against the Terps decimated D Line we can get the win. Otherwise, they match up equally with us and it'll be a dogfight.

Yeah, but I can't remember any instance in which someone got 2 years of eligibility after doing that. However I guess it could still happen.

He is scheduled to graduate this year. If you graduate you can transfer to an FBS school and not sit out a year if that school offers a graduate program that your original school, maryland, doesn't offer so he would be able to play right away and still have 2 years of eligibility left.

I've also heard this rumor from someone close to the East Forsyth program, however O'Brien is a RS Soph. So unless he could get a 6th year he'd only have one year of FBS eligiblity left.

It may not be the worst thing to transfer to a top-level FCS program.

And I know just the program you're talking about. Come to Charlotte Danny and be a part of building something special.

I think if he transfers he should be able to find some program to enroll in so that he wouldn't have to sit out a year. Vandy def makes sense since Franklin is there. SC would be very interesting. Shaw hasn't really had much of a chance, not sure how sold Spurrier is on him or not. Wonder what kind of assurances it would take for him to transfer to SC.

Haven't followed Maryland at all this season. What kind of season did O'Brien have up to date? Lindy's had him first team all ACC (preseason).

He sucked. Even if healthy, he wouldn't be in the top 7-8 ACC QBs (and that may be generous).

Back