• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Darrell Issa Calls for Independent Investigation into Trump

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
This has been posted elsewhere but worthy of its own thread to keep up with developments. Also these words confirm what he said on Real Time with Bill Maher last night. Was fully expecting to see him backtrack.

GOP pitbull urges Republicans to demand 'transparency, accountability' from Trump

SACRAMENTO — California Rep. Darrell Issa, an enthusiastic backer of Donald Trump — and the past chair of the House Oversight committee who once termed the Obama administration "the most corrupt in history" — Saturday called on Congress to "show leadership'' by being equally vigilant and demanding in its oversight of the Trump Administration.

"My view is: it's extremely important that Congress point the guns at the same direction that they were pointed,'' said Issa, who as the powerful House Oversight chair was a GOP pitbull who lead dozens of headline-making investigations on Obama administration matters ranging from the "Fast and Furious" gun sting to Benghazi and IRS' oversight of grassroots conservative organizations.

Under the Trump White House, Republicans must continue to "demand what we were demanding: transparency, accountability,'' Issa said in an interview with POLITICO. "We do need a government that is accountable to us.

"And this is the best time to show leadership.....we need to seize the opportunity and really push hard to have access so that no sacred cows are protected," he said. "For credibility, we have to hold this president to the level of transparency that the last president took every effort to thwart.''

who are the real conservatives remaining? know nothing, but this dude seems one of them based on those quotes. I'm honestly waiting for real conservatives to step up to bat and torch trump.

the job of the opposition is to give former trump supporters a way to back off their support without losing face. most will, and more will as time goes on.

Last edited:
who are the real conservatives remaining? know nothing, but this dude seems one of them based on those quotes. I'm honestly waiting for real conservatives to step up to bat and torch trump.

the job of the opposition is to give former trump supporters a way to back off their support without losing face. most will, and more will as time goes on.

Issa was a thorn in Obama and Dems side for pretty much the past 8 years. Would love to think he's saying this because he believes it but his district voted for Clinton in November (and he won by a slim margin) so his seat will be targeted in 2018. That being said, it's still a big deal given that A.) he's a Republican and B.) his history.

Issa is exactly right. Should give a little more credibility to his stance against the Obama admin as well. He was a liberal whipping boy for the better part of 8 years due to his constant investigations. Glad to see it as not just partisan fluff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This doesn't excuse Issa's partisan fluff bullshit from the last 8 years.

This doesn't excuse Issa's partisan fluff bullshit from the last 8 years.

Is it all that partisan if he aims to provide similar accountability to Trump? Clearly he is going to be harder on someone from the opposing political party but it is admirable that he would lay claim to this position less than 2 months into Trumps presidency.

Shows some guts in my opinion. I am not some huge Issa fan or anything but I'll always give respect for anything resembling principles in our current political landscape.

Last edited:
It's partisan because the aim was simply to discredit Hillary and Obama, not to provide accountability.

Also these Russia ties and potential cooperation to influence the election are way bigger than some Benghazi stuff.

Is it all that partisan if he aims to provide similar accountability to Trump? Clearly he is going to be harder on someone from the opposing political party but it is admirable that he would lay claim to this position less than 2 months into Trumps presidency.

Shows some guts in my opinion. I am not some huge Issa fan or anything but I'll always give respect for anything resembling principles in our current political landscape.

You know that he isn't doing anything more than just saying words right now?

Issa was a thorn in Obama and Dems side for pretty much the past 8 years. Would love to think he's saying this because he believes it but his district voted for Clinton in November (and he won by a slim margin) so his seat will be targeted in 2018. That being said, it's still a big deal given that A.) he's a Republican and B.) his history.

ah, so he's mainly just a politician, though. thanks for again addressing my q's.

Issa is exactly right. Should give a little more credibility to his stance against the Obama admin as well. He was a liberal whipping boy for the better part of 8 years due to his constant investigations. Glad to see it as not just partisan fluff.

The reason he was is that he NEVER found anything in ANY of investigations about what he was investigating. Every one of his persecutions was orchestrated like the kangaroo courts they were.

The only positive here is if he can get one or two more Republicans on the committee for an investigation.

Forgot the mantra. Dem good pub bad. My fault everyone. Won't happen again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Issa had principles, he would have walked away from the BS investigations he started and give the US taxpayers back around 100MM.

"In the case of Benghazi, Issa has claimed that then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to “stand down” military units that could have been sent to Benghazi to prevent the deaths of four Americans. Military leaders and top Republicans have already confirmed that no such order was given, but Issa has spent the last year and a half investigating whether the U.S. government is engaged in a cover-up."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/02/darrell-issa-government-spending_n_5070999.html

Forgot the mantra. Dem good pub bad. My fault everyone. Won't happen again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're kicking the shit out of that straw man.

Issa claiming Trump should be investigated no more absolves him from years of partisan ass-hattery than it would Ken Starr if he came out and said Trump should be investigated. Both spent millions of dollars and years frothing at the mouth and ultimately found nothing of merit.

Mississippi has rotted Wrangor's brain.

Kudos to Rep. Issa for the statement. I'd love to be less cynical about the motivation behind his change of heart.

Issa is on the Judiciary Committee which will vote in a couple days to either pursue or not pursue this inquiry. He has a chance to cast an actual vote to back up his words. Most of his fellow Republicans on that committee are in very safe seats. The vote in the Judiciary Committee this week is a real test of how willing Republicans are to engage in their constitutional duty to be a check and balance on the executive branch when it is controlled by a person who is, nominally, a fellow Republican. I'm not too optimistic. Watch out for the vote. If it goes for dropping the investigation, I expect Trump and his cronies will have some bright shiny object readily available to distract the press and the public.

Issa is on the Judiciary Committee which will vote in a couple days to either pursue or not pursue this inquiry. He has a chance to cast an actual vote to back up his words. Most of his fellow Republicans on that committee are in very safe seats. The vote in the Judiciary Committee this week is a real test of how willing Republicans are to engage in their constitutional duty to be a check and balance on the executive branch when it is controlled by a person who is, nominally, a fellow Republican. I'm not too optimistic. Watch out for the vote. If it goes for dropping the investigation, I expect Trump and his cronies will have some bright shiny object readily available to distract the press and the public.

Agree. Issa made a statement. If he truly is interested in accountability then he will back it up with a vote to continue the investigation. I guess we will see if he is FOS or not.

Back