• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Brubeck Was The Macklemore Of 1954

I mean, if he doesn't include any words to his songs, we can't figure out what its about. It can be about anything Dave Brubeck says its about.

Rico, read the damn article. It's good stuff.

Both artists have made it a point to use their artistic platforms to advance social causes. Macklemore's "Same Love" features an openly gay singer, Mary Lambert, and was explicitly tied to the Washington State referendum to legalize gay marriage. Another song, discusses just that. Brubeck repeatedly insisted on performing with integrated bands when he led them, including touring the U.S. South with his "classic quartet" featuring black bassist Eugene Wright, or his World War II Army band in a time of military segregation. He also teamed with Iola Brubeck and Louis Armstrong to create The Real Ambassadors, a jazz musical addressing the Civil Rights Movement and U.S. foreign relations. One song, "They Say I Look Like God," is a biting satirical commentary on racism. The irony here, of course, is that while both are often credited for progressive politics, they operated within genres deeply rooted in progressive social criticism.

it's pretty dumb to me. macklemore isnt the first white dude to win an emmy for rap, and kendrick is no duke ellington. macklemore also doesnt have a relationship with kendrick as far as i know.

it's pretty dumb to me. macklemore isnt the first white dude to win an emmy for rap, and kendrick is no duke ellington. macklemore also doesnt have a relationship with kendrick as far as i know.

Kendrick is pretty fucking good in his genre these days.

Macklemore sends Kendrick texts then Instagrams them. It's weird.

Macklemore and Kendrick are instagram buds or something.

I'm cool with the whole "I'm embarrassed" analogy because analogies aren't absolute, but Brubeck was a giant, wrote iconic and groundbreaking songs, and toured for like 60 years. Let's all reconvene in 2080 and see if anyone knows what a Macklemore is.

well sure kendrick is a top 5 rapper right now. duke ellington is borderline GOAT status in a genre.

I'm cool with the whole "I'm embarrassed" analogy because analogies aren't absolute, but Brubeck was a giant, wrote iconic and groundbreaking songs, and toured for like 60 years. Let's all reconvene in 2080 and see if anyone knows what a Macklemore is.

Macklemore-900-600.jpg

well sure kendrick is a top 5 rapper right now. duke ellington is borderline GOAT status in a genre.

i think he's higher but it's jmo. it's really hard to have this debate now until we see what else he does beyond his debut album tho

Is anyone in this thread really trying to compare Dave Brubeck to Macklemore?

he is the same dude from the South African terrible rap group a few years ago right

die antwooord

Last edited:

Thinking about this, I wish I could be around when rap fans get to senior citizen homes. It will be funny to see grandma and grandpa singing some of these lyrics at the home.

Back