• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

I was counting on the combined effect of Clawson hating Duke, and Clawson wanting to beat his mentee, to result in something substantially different in his coaching strategy. It was just more of the same.

At the very least he’s hit a wall in his career and needs to figure out a way around it.

There is no way that he’s fired this year but next year is a real possibility if things don’t improve drastically.
Agreed that at the end of the season, it’ll be a warm seat. And next year will be a hot seat. The problem is at that point, it’ll take a couple of more years to be competitive. Hate to say it, because he’s a nice guy, but might as well rip that bandaid off.

The thing with Dave is he has his system and while he may evaluate it at the end of each year, it's evolution. Within the year, you fit here two back's split time this way. Senior gets the carries. QB preference goes to the one longest in the system unless something wild happens. Play it like you're in the talent gap even when you're talent even. He is who he is.

Looking forward to cheeseheads12 and other posters cutting the check to fund the buyout for Clawson and staff and then cutting another check to hire an entirely new staff at market rates
Thinking the WF athletic department doesn't have any money is drastically incorrect. We obviously also have major donors willing to step in when necessary.

The thing with Dave is he has his system and while he may evaluate it at the end of each year, it's evolution. Within the year, you fit here two back's split time this way. Senior gets the carries. QB preference goes to the one longest in the system unless something wild happens. Play it like you're in the talent gap even when you're talent even. He is who he is.
The weird thing is that Clawson and Ruggiero changed up systems a lot based on personnel at previous stops. They seem obsessed with the system they've installed at Wake though and refuse to change.

I've definitely appreciated that he's raised our floor but we will not consistently win ACC games (above .500 each season) under Clawson. A new coach needs to take us to the next level, one that will actually use the transfer portal and recruit better talent. Clawson is stuck in the "we're LOWF we cannot attract good players and we cannot use the portal. we're a developmental program that focuses on academics"
This is really dumb. Dumber than dumb

Thinking the WF athletic department doesn't have any money is drastically incorrect. We obviously also have major donors willing to step in when necessary.
Ain’t happening with Clawson. He could fix 80% of the problems with a good QB.

We're at the very least a serviceable QB away from being 7-2 or 6-3. I'm sure there'll be some FCS or G5 QB in the portal that we'll be able to pick up over the off-season

We're at the very least a serviceable QB away from being 7-2 or 6-3. I'm sure there'll be some FCS or G5 QB in the portal that we'll be able to pick up over the off-season
Clawson has said time and time again we will not and cannot use the portal for a QB

The big boys love Clawson. I don't think his seat warmer will even turn on this year. Maybe next if its this bad. But I think the hot seat comments are a year or two early.

It's actually incredible to read the comments from December/January about Clawson and then the ones today.

Clawson has said time and time again we will not and cannot use the portal for a QB
When? The only thing he's said is that we're limited because we're trying to stop our own players from being poached, and that was last year when we both were late to the NIL game and didn't have much of an organized NIL.

Clawson and his staff made one huge mistake, and that was misevaluating Griffis, badly. Almost all our issues this season are bad QB play.

NIL was 3 months late from making a huge impact on how good we could have been this season.

I don't see anything else obvious that makes me think that is coaching abilities have changed. The same flaws we have seen in his gameday coaching have been the same for years, so you either have to accept that or think its enough to warrant a change. Maybe it is.

We have lost to UNC and Duke in some inexplicable ways, which over time really starts to wear on you.

Back