• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

When this thread resurfaced in January, I suggested that the results of this season would give the fans an indication of the strength of our football program. At this point in the season the jury is still out. If the Deacs can win two more games, qualify for a bowl and win it, Dave could be given the benefit of the doubt. A winning record and extended bowl participation streak would seem like a decent finish at this point of the season.

A losing record, especially given the circumstances of this season, will diminish Clawson's credibility. The offense has become the primary weakness of the team and is averaging 10 to eighteen points below any season in the past six years. It has looked worse than those results suggest and was unexpected by everyone, especially the coaching staff. The questions surrounding the choice and play of the QB aggravate the matter. Three more losses with the same QB will put a source of heat under the coach's seat.
Chuckle… There will be no heat under Dave Clawson’s seat in any event.

I realize I’m snarky about bowl games and think they are overrated. But if we sneak out 2 wins with the same awful looking footbal we’ve had all year…does that somehow make any of this year better?
It’s not about the bowl game. Bowl eligible simply means you were .500. So in a terrible year we somehow still played .500 ball. That’s a win to me.

It would be a very Wake Foresty thing if we somehow beat State and then lose at Cuse to give them their only ACC win of the season.

Don't see the team winning two more. Before the Duke game I would have said State is beatable, but after Thurs am guessing we phone it in the rest of the way.

Just saw that ND is open next weekend before we go to South Bend, so they get an extra week to stew before opening a supersize can of whoop ass on the Deacs.

No, I know he enjoys reminding us peasants how wealthy and connected he is, but, still, what a weird fucking post.
Yeah you gotta be absolutely loaded to go to church. I’m damn sure not wealthy. Maybe I should go to church more and it might happen. And to think, being so cool as to randomly sit next to a struggling college QB who’s getting picked apart by some fans. I‘m a stud. Facepalm

Clearly I was teasing about backing him because I happened to sit next to him at church. Holy smokes some of you guys wake up on the wrong end of the bed a bit often. Relax a hair my fellow Wake grad/fan.

Last edited:
Neither 7-6 (3-5) nor 4-8 (1-7) are acceptable, but yeah, they are clearly different
IMO 7-6 (3-5) is acceptable, given the roster turnover from last season.

I was thinking 6 regular season wins before the season started, didn't get the hype for 8+. Though if we even just had mediocre QB play, we would certainly be 6-3 right now (GT, Duke) and maybe more.

4-8 would be a disaster. If that happens, we may suffer the consequences in the off-season, which makes it even harder to bounce back the following year.

IMO 7-6 (3-5) is acceptable, given the roster turnover from last season.

I was thinking 6 regular season wins before the season started, didn't get the hype for 8+. Though if we even just had mediocre QB play, we would certainly be 6-3 right now (GT, Duke) and maybe more.

4-8 would be a disaster. If that happens, we may suffer the consequences in the off-season, which makes it even harder to bounce back the following year.

Gotta think we beat syracuse for 5-7.

Sucks what could have been with just average QB play.

I'm not sure the overall record is as important to me as how things have gone down. We've lost some total headscratchers to really lousy teams.
In any reasonable season we could have beaten duke, ga tech, and maybe Clemson. None of those teams looked worth a damn against us. But we found a way to be worse. That's what bothers me the most. It's not being outdueled by great teams. It's finding a way to lose to below average teams

Last edited:
I booked my holiday travel on Friday after the duke game, as I thought our bowl chances were exhausted. If we somehow squeak out 2 more wins, I would be surprised, to say the least.

One positive, if we DO get Sharpe healthy, we bring back 9 starters on offense plus Sell and Grimes and Ellison, in other words, key backups.

Defense brings back 9 starters, assuming all stay.

Plus both kickers, assuming they stop regressing right before our eyes.

One positive, if we DO get Sharpe healthy, we bring back 9 starters on offense plus Sell and Grimes and Ellison, in other words, key backups.

Defense brings back 9 starters, assuming all stay.

Plus both kickers, assuming they stop regressing right before our eyes.

I hope you're right. But boy I'm worried about folks hitting the road. The new era in college sports is really something.

I booked my holiday travel on Friday after the duke game, as I thought our bowl chances were exhausted. If we somehow squeak out 2 more wins, I would be surprised, to say the least.
With Magic Mitch... enjoy your holiday travels!

Who are the big threats with eligibility to leave? My thoughts are:

Claiborne
All starting WR + Donovan (except maybe Morin?)
Jasheen
Kevin Pointer?
Mustapha

I have decided there is still hope this week. I mean we did beat Ga Tech to go to Hawaii that one year. At some point our luck has to change. It's like the opposite of the hot hand theory.

Back