• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

The slow mesh gimmick offense either has been figured out or Hartman is the only one that can run it effectively. Everyone has seen it enough and can stop it. It is pretty useless right now. And we aren't big enough or good enough to beat people straight up.

If you think the reason we're losing is because teams have figured out the slow mesh, not sure what to tell ya.

Im as mad as everyone else. I am a little encouraged to hear clawson owning it. But if next year goes like this one, I think its time. And I trust Currie to do the right thing

The entire program is stale. No energy. No accountability. When Clawson gave a shit, we rarely if ever beat ourselves with dumb personal foul and unsportsmanlike penalties. Happens all the time now. That’s a sign of a coaching staff that has checked out, starting with the head coach.

If he hadn’t checked out, there is no way he wouldn’t have ridden the momentum from Marucci’s performance in the Pitt game. We had a chance to establish an identity coming off of that win, and he just chucked it all to put his guy Griffis back in there. He would rather be comfortable than win. Just like Grobe when he essentially gave up. The similarities are unmistakable.
Establish an identity with Santino?? LOL

And I was pulling for him to start the FSU game

I've watched Clawson's post-game presser twice (below). Met the man several times. Grobe made it obvious he was done. This is eating Clawson up! We have to give the guy a chance to fix this. And I believe he will.
To your point, if he can't fix this in 2-3 years, then yes, Currie will need to make decisions. The time for that is NOT now.

Completely agree. Didnt seem to bother Grobe at all when we struggled and you can tell it is completely unacceptable and Dave will shake things up to turn it around. O Line needs complete overhaul and clearly need a new QB.

Losing just tears Clawson up.

Sadly, his QB1 decision set us up for lots of losing.

The slow mesh gimmick offense either has been figured out or Hartman is the only one that can run it effectively. Everyone has seen it enough and can stop it. It is pretty useless right now. And we aren't big enough or good enough to beat people straight up.
I do not recall a slow mesh play today.

I’m pretty concerned about Claiborne, Key, Mustapha, Jasheen, Pointer and a few others (Banks and Donovan…but never thought either would come back after this year anyway). If we lose players like this while our NIL collective is still trying to gain footing, it’s going to take us a long time to rebuild. Hope we can keep them here. I would also be surprised if we don’t go shopping for a grad transfer QB and a handful of new O-linemen.

I’m pretty concerned about Claiborne, Key, Mustapha, Jasheen, Pointer and a few others (Banks and Donovan…but never thought either would come back after this year anyway). If we lose players like this while our NIL collective is still trying to gain footing, it’s going to take us a long time to rebuild. Hope we can keep them here. I would also be surprised if we don’t go shopping for a grad transfer QB.
I mean separate of the money we should be in a good buying position because there is no competition at QB on this roster.

I’m pretty concerned about Claiborne, Key, Mustapha, Jasheen, Pointer and a few others (Banks and Donovan…but never thought either would come back after this year anyway). If we lose players like this while our NIL collective is still trying to gain footing, it’s going to take us a long time to rebuild. Hope we can keep them here. I would also be surprised if we don’t go shopping for a grad transfer QB and a handful of new O-linemen.
Every NIL collective is still trying to gain footing. We aren’t unique. This stuff is new for everyone.

Every NIL collective is still trying to gain footing. We aren’t unique. This stuff is new for everyone.
Fair, but we were a little late compared to a number of programs we compete against…that’s what I mean. Hope we can turn it around and keep the talent we developed here.

If they want to be considered journalists they need to ask difficult questions. They should feed off each other impress conferences. Other than Conor they all seem more afraid about losing their access and free press box food than actually doing the job of journalists
+1

Clawson keeps alluding to challenges in the NIL era. I don't know how much of that is just coach speak, or if he really thinks we are doomed with NIL.

I am not Clawson out, but his head and heart have to be 100% in on competing in the current landscape or we will plummet quickly.

Clawson keeps alluding to challenges in the NIL era. I don't know how much of that is just coach speak, or if he really thinks we are doomed with NIL.

I am not Clawson out, but his head and heart have to be 100% in on competing in the current landscape or we will plummet quickly.
We’re never gonna out recruit day 1
We had a thing going of redshirt / development program but alas that has sunsetted in NIL er
Dave et al need to get creative on the field and out scheme / think people to win games. That is the way and they are too chicken shit to do it. We call plays like we are UGa

I'm still unclear on why we can't start recruiting better. The days of a high school field are over. And we have had recent success. And we are doing ok with nil. If duke can win there's no reason we can't. Their facilities and fan support are a complete joke

I'm still unclear on why we can't start recruiting better. The days of a high school field are over. And we have had recent success. And we are doing ok with nil. If duke can win there's no reason we can't. Their facilities and fan support are a complete joke

Duke was 3-9 (0-8) two years ago, 9-4 (5-3) last year, and are 6-4 (3-3) this year. [18-17 (8-14)]

We were 11-3 (7-1) two years ago, 8-5 (3-5) last year, and are 4-6 (1-6) this year. [23-14 (11-12)]

If you think Duke is more of a "winning program" than we are currently/recently, then IDK what to tell you.

We are having a shitty year. But even still, we are technically still control our destiny to be bowl eligible with 2 games left.

Yes it sucks, but we HAVE performed, we HAVE won...to pretend that "OMG DUKE IS WINNING" when they are 1 game flipped from having the same record as us is a little ridiculous.

No one likes losing, and ESPECIALLY looking the way we do when we lose. There's a difference in losing 45-38 games with 450 total yards and 26-6 games with 250 total yards....and this year we are losing the 2nd way.

We aren't taking #5 Clemson to Double Overtime....so it hits a lot harder than just a regular loss. The world is not ending, and the program is not dead. The coach has not given up and the staff hasn't given up. Shit happens and sometimes your #1 record-setting NFL-projected QB transfers and you just don't have the talent to replace him. ALL PROGRAMS GO THROUGH THIS. EVERY one of them bar a handful of 5* player cycling teams.

The "Sky is Falling" bullshit is overblown. We need to let the guys that took us to 46 wins in 5.5 yrs (24 in conference) at the smallest Power 5 school in the nation do what it is they do that has gotten us to 7 straight bowls, four 8 win seasons (actually, an average of an 8-4 (4-4) record over the alst 6 years (minus the COVID year)) and an ACC Championship game.

Anyone who thinks we can take this roster and find some coach to come in and get us to better than .500 in a year is just fooling themselves.

We WILL be back and Dave Clawson WILL be the coach that brings us back. Period.

My point is that Duke has been abysmal. Poor results, awful fan support and terrible facilities. They get a new coach. And they nearly win ten games and beat us twice in our coaches ninth and tenth seasons.

I love Dave. I'm not advocating for any changes. But on paper when Mike Elko came to Duke we had a lot more to offer recruits than Duke. Better facilities. Better recent success. Better fan support. Yet he came in and promptly beat us twice and has had very solid success. It should, at least, get our attention.

Back