• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Great - Schedule a meeting with Currie and bring a big check (or a solid commitment for the financing) to buy out the current staff.

And better move quickly as the coaching carousel is already spinning. Who are your Top 3 realistic candidates to replace Clawson?
You’re starting to sound like DR.

The JMU coach would be a great start.

I’ve had a day now to cool off, and I still think that Clawson should be fired. The QB decisions this year, the decision making yesterday combined with UNC, Clemson, etc over the past years have been horrible. He lost the whole team this year. I’m not sure he can recover. I’m sure he’ll be retained so I hope I’m eating these words next year, but this year was really inexcusable. And I’m sick of the LOWF “well he’s better than most of the crap we’ve had in the past.” I lived through a bunch of that crap too. Doesn’t mean we have to settle. In reality it feels like we’ve gotten lucky with a couple good qbs, Higgins being an awesome WR coach, and a very weak OOC schedule which pumps up the record.
If Forbes finished DFL this year people would demand Currie to fire him. But Clawson gets a pass in year 10, despite having a horrible conference record.

Great - Schedule a meeting with Currie and bring a big check (or a solid commitment for the financing) to buy out the current staff.

And better move quickly as the coaching carousel is already spinning. Who are your Top 3 realistic candidates to replace Clawson?
Found Currie’s burner account

Exactly. People will cite bowl games vs NCAAT appearances but they aren’t the same.
Not at all. 2021 was great for Clawson. Going .500 or 7-5 (with 3-4 of those wins being against G5 and FCS) and making a bowl game is not the same as making the NCAAT, or even the NIT for that matter. If folks celebrate a 16-15 basketball season the way they celebrate bowl appearances, they’d have no qualms with Forbes. Basketball post season is so much more subjective, comparing 350+ teams and their resumes. Football is just go 6-6 or even 5-7 and you get a bowl. And it doesn’t even matter if you win the bowl, it’s just an exhibition at this point.

If Forbes finished DFL this year people would demand Currie to fire him. But Clawson gets a pass in year 10, despite having a horrible conference record.
Let’s also not forget that this is the SECOND time that Clawson has started the wrong QB based on “practice.” Remember when a mediocre young Hartman started over Newman and then Newman came in and saved the season? That change at QB only happened because Hartman got injured. Clawson was not making that change until he was forced to.

Let’s also not forget that this is the SECOND time that Clawson has started the wrong QB based on “practice.” Remember when a mediocre young Hartman started over Newman and then Newman came in and saved the season? That change at QB only happened because Hartman got injured. Clawson was not making that change until he was forced to.
Let’s also not forget how often the RB rotation is completely baffling. Walker is the one we all remember, but Ellison was RB3 on this team and started the whole year.

Good call - He certainly won’t be in demand after the season JMU had.

Better add some numbers to that check (to the left of the decimal point).

Who are your backup candidates?
I don’t know, dude. I’m not getting paid millions to find the next coach. That’s Currie’s job. I am smart enough to know that this current situation isn’t working though.

I’m an alum. I’ve donated plenty. I’m a season ticket holder. I’m allowed to have an opinion.

I don’t know, dude. I’m not getting paid millions to find the next coach. That’s Currie’s job. I am smart enough to know that this current situation isn’t working though.

I’m an alum. I’ve donated plenty. I’m a season ticket holder. I’m allowed to have an opinion.

Of course you are allowed to have an opinion.

And I’m permitted to question your opinion especially when it involves jettisoning a head coach with no backup plan or any clue of how to pay for it.

And I’m permitted to question your opinion especially when it involves jettisoning a head coach with no backup plan or any clue of how to pay for it.
But those things are not my job. If the AD wants to pay me then I’ll happily figure those things outs.

According to Colonel Anus we should all shut the fuck up and continue to spend/donate money to a program that finished DFL

I guess we’re supposed to never complain about a coach with an awful ACC record who finished DFL in year 10. Just accept an FCS win, 2-3 G5 wins, and 2-3 ACC wins each season. Remember when we had 1 decent year when the rest of Tobacco Road sucked and we claimed best program in the state? Even put up billboards across NC. That’s a joke now. We’re only above Charlotte and ECU.

Does Currie have a suggestion box where I can personally tell him who to hire? And he’ll do exactly what I say? Other wise this is fucking stupid. Why does anyone on here need to come up with the back up plan? I don’t get paid to vet candidates and figure out the buy out. Currie gets paid handsomely to do so.

It is the same cycle Wake always runs into. New coach has some good years. Clawson had a gimmick offense, solid wr. and a really good QB to run it. I would guess that gimmick offense becomes easier to stop the more teams see it and now we mostly play straight up and we don't have the talent to match the other ACC teams straight up. Clawson has earned the chance for a few more year to turn it around but not sure it will change much unless recruiting really picks up.

NIL becomes a huge issue too with recruiting. A friends kid where I live is a big time d1 recruit at corner. He has offers from every big program. The kid literally gets around 5K just to visit schools. And he will definitely get paid to play once he commits. Not sure how Wake can compete in that environment. Different world.

It is the same cycle Wake always runs into. New coach has some good years. Clawson had a gimmick offense, solid wr. and a really good QB to run it. I would guess that gimmick offense becomes easier to stop the more teams see it and now we mostly play straight up and we don't have the talent to match the other ACC teams straight up. Clawson has earned the chance for a few more year to turn it around but not sure it will change much unless recruiting really picks up.

NIL becomes a huge issue too with recruiting. A friends kid where I live is a big time d1 recruit at corner. He has offers from every big program. The kid literally gets around 5K just to visit schools. And he will definitely get paid to play once he commits. Not sure how Wake can compete in that environment. Different world.
I disagree with this bottom part. NIL could help Wake. We may not have the same number of alum, but we definitely have people who will pony up cash compared to many other programs.

Back