• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

I don’t know, dude. I’m not getting paid millions to find the next coach. That’s Currie’s job. I am smart enough to know that this current situation isn’t working though.

I’m an alum. I’ve donated plenty. I’m a season ticket holder. I’m allowed to have an opinion.
Not that I’m endorsing the idea, but there is also Jason Candle at Toledo has had 8 seasons without a losing record.
Willie Fritz at Tulane could be an option

There are plenty of backup options if you go after Cignetti and he says no. The carousel is rarely devoid of talent.

If Forbes finished DFL this year people would demand Currie to fire him. But Clawson gets a pass in year 10, despite having a horrible conference record.
Don't want to totally derail this thread, but you apparently haven't read the basketball game threads or Forbes credibility thread. Don't know about finishing DFL, but Forbes can apparently go an infinite number of years without making the NCAA tournament, which should be the bare minimum for an ACC school. Matthew Marsh is injured!!! Covid!!! We haven't had Efton Reid (were we really counting on a waiver???)!!!! No way we could EVER get anyone better than Forbes!!!!

To be clear, I think Forbes should have this season and next to make the tournament. Just refuting the notion that he is held to some higher standard than Clawson. And, for the record, I think Clawson certainly deserves at least 1-2 more seasons to fix this. No question though, this season was a horrific coaching job by the entire staff.

Let’s also not forget how often the RB rotation is completely baffling. Walker is the one we all remember, but Ellison was RB3 on this team and started the whole year.
RB3? Behind young Carney? RB2 maybe.

kern looked good. Maybe he’s the man next year. Going for two was mind boggling. Dave’s gonna have his work cut out for him hanging on to the good WF players.

anyone heard an explanation for K Williams’ absence?

I disagree with this bottom part. NIL could help Wake. We may not have the same number of alum, but we definitely have people who will pony up cash compared to many other programs.

We'll know how the portal/NIL thing is going to work for WFU soon. DC is obviously very aware it, and has said multiple times the game is already afoot for next year. We also believe WFU has some $ to work with (yes, need more).

I feel weirdly confident DC will adjust and we will bring in more portal transfers this year (I'll take a few more Jacob Roberts).

We're going to have a lot of departures. Some for $, some likely nudged. How well we backfill those spots in the next few months will give us an idea of how it's going to go for WFU in this new era of semi-professional not-really-college football. I believe we'll improve our roster. But if we don't that will be a bad sign for the future.

But I'm reasonably optimistic. Which is something I never experienced during the (moron) Wellman era.

Clawson’s current 2-11 ACC stretch in his last 13 games is by far the worst stretch since the Caldwell years when Duke was the only probable win.

Caldwell’s worst stretch was 2-18 from the start of 1995 (0-8) through 1996 (1-7) and a 1-3 start in 1997.

In his last 13 games at Wake, Caldwell was 3-10 from the end of the bowl season through his final season.

So Clawson right now is on a worse stretch than Grobe ever had and the one that got Caldwell fired after a 7-5 bowl season and 3-8 season.

I disagree with this bottom part. NIL could help Wake. We may not have the same number of alum, but we definitely have people who will pony up cash compared to many other programs.

Even “public school filth” programs have plenty of wealthy alums.

Caldwell never sniffed an ACC title. You have to judge the body of work. IMO the real verdict on Clawson will depend on how he applies the lessons of this season going forward.

He and grobe are really on a similar track. Pick up the pieces first couple years, build to an unexpected ACCCG appearance / media darling, then slow fade the next year when expectations were high and then the wheels start to come off after that. Can Dave turn it around?

We all know that Clawson isn’t going anywhere voluntarily or in voluntarily in the immediate future. But remember — Currie didn’t hire Clawson— it makes a difference when the length of the leash is discussed. Everyone wants their own guy.

Clawson’s current 2-11 ACC stretch in his last 13 games is by far the worst stretch since the Caldwell years when Duke was the only probable win.

Caldwell’s worst stretch was 2-18 from the start of 1995 (0-8) through 1996 (1-7) and a 1-3 start in 1997.

In his last 13 games at Wake, Caldwell was 3-10 from the end of the bowl season through his final season.

So Clawson right now is on a worse stretch than Grobe ever had and the one that got Caldwell fired after a 7-5 bowl season and 3-8 season.

Even “public school filth” programs have plenty of wealthy alums.
Those are startlingly bad numbers. Even watching every week and knowing we were in a rough stretch, didn't realize just how bad the past 1.5 seasons have been. Still believe he gets at least 1-2 seasons to bring the program back but you have to prove you can at least be competitive within the conference. Beating Elon, ODU, etc. isn't the goal.

Shouldn’t this be the Clawson Competency Watch? Or the Clawson Job Security Watch? Do we question his credibility?

Last edited:
Currie will have to determine if he is a hard ass or a comforting hand when doing the end of year job performance review. Clawson has gone from sunshine expectations to negative Nelly. While, he has taken blame on himself recently, he has also (indirectly) seemingly thrown fellow coaches, players, the program, university (NIL), under the bus.

I expect another year, but based on attitude and results, I expect next year will be a short leash.

Those are startlingly bad numbers. Even watching every week and knowing we were in a rough stretch, didn't realize just how bad the past 1.5 seasons have been. Still believe he gets at least 1-2 seasons to bring the program back but you have to prove you can at least be competitive within the conference. Beating Elon, ODU, etc. isn't the goal.
Was it just early last year when we took Clemson to 2 OTs and felt like we were "this close" to getting over the hump to consistent national relevance... That seems like a lifetime ago, in football years...

Kern new QB. He's not Dan Marino but how Clawson AND our QB coach, Ruggiero, thought Griffis is better...that is very concerning.

3 WR caught passes, Morin, Banks and Grimes.

Tyler Black New kicker. Goodbye Dennis.

Kyle Lohvachian with 2 solo tackles. Walk on? Fourth string? Wow.

Glasser has good size. Pray he pans out. CB so important every year and Jones should also be gone.

Back