• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

David Stern makes fun of Ron Wellman (Indirectly)

I'm no labor lawyer, but I think this is the key and how it allows employers (NBA or MLB) to avoid collusion charges if they all refused to accept 18-year olds into their "business." They are covered by the blanket of US Labor laws. If you want a 2 and done rule or a rule like baseball where you can go in the draft after highschool, but have to stay 3 years in college if not, then the players union will have to sign off on it. Elsewise, I think you have lawsuits by players saying you're disciminating against me or I'm 18 and I can go work anywhere i want any time I want--and they'd be mostly right.

I would like something equivalent to baseball. Non binding draft. If you opt for college you stay 3 years.

Yeah the three years removed from high school seems to work pretty well for college football....

I'm no labor lawyer, but I think this is the key and how it allows employers (NBA or MLB) to avoid collusion charges if they all refused to accept 18-year olds into their "business." They are covered by the blanket of US Labor laws. If you want a 2 and done rule or a rule like baseball where you can go in the draft after highschool, but have to stay 3 years in college if not, then the players union will have to sign off on it. Elsewise, I think you have lawsuits by players saying you're disciminating against me or I'm 18 and I can go work anywhere i want any time I want--and they'd be mostly right.

Again, no. Nobody has a right to be hired for a job simply because they are 18. The employer, in this case the NBA and its teams, can set whatever job requirements they want. It is no different than an employer requiring a college degree or typing skills or a high school diploma.

If the league and the union got together and created a plan where some draft picks could be paid less and placed in the D-league for a couple of years, like you do in baseball, the plan could work.

But there is huge difference between baseball and basketball. If you get drafted in bball, you get major league bucks and take up a space on the big team's roster.

If it's 2-3 years in the D-League at D-League pay and their $40 per diem, a lot of the top stars would opt for college.

If the league and the union got together and created a plan where some draft picks could be paid less and placed in the D-league for a couple of years, like you do in baseball, the plan could work.

But there is huge difference between baseball and basketball. If you get drafted in bball, you get major league bucks and take up a space on the big team's roster.

If it's 2-3 years in the D-League at D-League pay and their $40 per diem, a lot of the top stars would opt for college.

Always thought a major D-League would work for NBA. Eight teams filled by post high school, Europeans and released or rehabbing NBA players. Each NBA team would be allowed x number of spots, the rest free agents available through a draft. Smaller league, shorter schedule, some name players might generate some tv money so players would be paid more.

Back