• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DC to GSO via 29?

I'll suggest that. It's 3 people all trying to coordinate times and one chick is also driving from NJ to meet them in DC.

My experiences taking 29 were never good. Lots of traffic lights, slow through Warranton and Charlottesville. Plus if they are leaving in the afternoon they are going to get stuck in bad traffic anyway on I-66 and 29 through Warranton/Culpepper. So might as well suck it up and deal with the 95 South traffic cause honestly, there isn't any way you can leave the DC area going Southbound on a summer Friday without getting stuck in major traffic.

Take 29 and stop at the Texas Tea Room in Lynchburg. If you don't plan to stop there, definitely take 95.

My experiences taking 29 were never good. Lots of traffic lights, slow through Warranton and Charlottesville. Plus if they are leaving in the afternoon they are going to get stuck in bad traffic anyway on I-66 and 29 through Warranton/Culpepper. So might as well suck it up and deal with the 95 South traffic cause honestly, there isn't any way you can leave the DC area going Southbound on a summer Friday without getting stuck in major traffic.

This. The traffic lights are brutal through Warrenton/Charlotte/Lynchburg. Every town you go through will have traffic lights. My experience is that with no traffic, 29 is about an hour longer, maybe a little less. The best option for minimal road time is 95, but leaving after 8pm.

I used to drive DC to W-S a lot after I graduated when my BF was still in W-S. Definitely recommend the 95 to 85 route. Especially if they have 3 people and can HOV on 395/95, that alone will help a lot. And yes, being on interstate the whole way (95, 85, 40) just tends to be quicker than 29 with the stoplights.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm trying to figure out my own exodus from DC today and can't decide between two routes. We're going to Lake Anna on the Orange County side off 522. Was told to either take 95 to 3 (exit 130 in F-burg) or 66 to 29. Normally I avoid 66 like the plague, but there will only be two of us in the car, so we could do HOV on 66 but not on 395/95. We'll be leaving from Dupontish at 3pm. I'm leaning towards 66 to 29 but may have to do a game time decision after judging Google Maps' traffic.

I've done Lake Anna....honestly the HOV lane doesn't go much faster than the regular one because it backs up too as it narrows to one lane. But ALWAYS use the traffic features.

Wait, I think we're missing the more important question here. Why would anyone want to visit Greensboro?

Leaving DC at 4 is just straight up dumb.

Like I said, they can't leave earlier. Like other people said, otherwise you really have to leave after 8. They won't sit in 4 hours of traffic so leaving at 4 means getting here earlier than if they left at 8.

I like 29. Definitely a nicer drive, stop and check the historic markets, see walton,s mtn. Just a better drive. Worth losing an hr.

Yea, a few people already nailed it, but the 29 route is shit until you get past Warrenton. The 66 and 29 junction is awful too. I would almost recommend 66-81-77-74-52. But that's the long way. I just drove back from Winston on Saturday and 77 has a lot of construction right now, which added 30-45 minutes on my travel time.

In other news, back in May I drove from Wilmington to DC up 95 and only stopped twice. Made it in 5.5 hours.

Yea, a few people already nailed it, but the 29 route is shit until you get past Warrenton. The 66 and 29 junction is awful too. I would almost recommend 66-81-77-74-52. But that's the long way. I just drove back from Winston on Saturday and 77 has a lot of construction right now, which added 30-45 minutes on my travel time.

In other news, back in May I drove from Wilmington to DC up 95 and only stopped twice. Made it in 5.5 hours.

that's like the holy grail of travel. i'm almost always hit some sort of slow-down on 95N through richmond; that bend just after the old train station right by VCU gets me every time (plus last time i did it, there was lots of construction right after that point). i guess that was almost 5 years ago.... but still.

I had one friend who I used to love riding with to and from wake. cause after a while he gets pissed and just says fuck it and floors it. made it in like 4 hours once that was cray

Lots & Lots & Lots of speed traps, but a very pretty ride.

I've done Charlottesville to GSO plenty of times down 29. Lots of speed traps. Wouldn't be my first recommendation for them.

that's like the holy grail of travel. i'm almost always hit some sort of slow-down on 95N through richmond; that bend just after the old train station right by VCU gets me every time (plus last time i did it, there was lots of construction right after that point). i guess that was almost 5 years ago.... but still.

Don't take 95 THRU Richmond...take 295 around it!

Back