• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deac offensive Play calling

Until we are able to do what Duke has done in increasing size, numbers, and higher rated recruits, we will have to have a creative scheme to move the ball, IMO. And I just don't see it yet. There are hardly no fakes or deceptions woven into the playbook. (I don't think the reverse pass play qualifies). Hence, every grandmother can see what's coming and what we are doing on practically every play. 80% of our offensive success so far has been Hinton's improvising.

What made Grobe's O work early in his tenure was the deception constantly woven into every play. What really made us click was finding an unbelievably gifted passer (Skinner) that complimented it and took us to the heights we'd never seen.

The OL was playing in a two-point stance in the second half, and even then the contact was being made on the Deac's side of the neutral zone. The OL hasn't hit the DL first since '06-'08 era.

Until we are able to do what Duke has done in increasing size, numbers, and higher rated recruits, we will have to have a creative scheme to move the ball, IMO. And I just don't see it yet. There are hardly no fakes or deceptions woven into the playbook. (I don't think the reverse pass play qualifies). Hence, every grandmother can see what's coming and what we are doing on practically every play. 80% of our offensive success so far has been Hinton's improvising.

What made Grobe's O work early in his tenure was the deception constantly woven into every play. What really made us click was finding an unbelievably gifted passer (Skinner) that complimented it and took us to the heights we'd never seen.

There players are marginally better if you believe stars and ratings.

Good post. How has Duke blown right past us?

Also, the Skinner era, we had 4 NCAA starting QB's on the same spring football roster (Skinner/Hodges/Zac Taylor and Ben Mauk). That and our defense - impressive recruiting.

Clawson is getting us back to that level.

The OL was playing in a two-point stance in the second half, and even then the contact was being made on the Deac's side of the neutral zone. The OL hasn't hit the DL first since '06-'08 era.

Yeah I agree, with this. It seems to me our O-line is back on our heels before the ball is even snapped, we never seem to fire off the ball. Not sure how you expect to run the football unless your blockers are firing off the line. Of course I know this spread stuff and zone blocking have kind of changed the way teams run the ball, but still.

Back