• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon Dilemma

The below is Exhibit A of why football need yo break away on its own and go back to 8-10 team regional conferences for everything else.

The expansion has drawn ire in some circles because the ACC has historically distinguished itself by touting its high academics. Adding travel time for hyper-busy athletes is inconsistent with that brand.

“When I played at Wake Forest between 1983 and ’87 everything was a bus ride for us,” Perko said. “While I understand the forces at play here that have caused the conferences to expand, the impact on the thousands of other athletes is too often overlooked.”

Compared to Olympic sport athletes and those who play sports like baseball, volleyball and soccer, football players have the least burden. They have the shortest season, competitions are usually on Saturdays, and they have no more than six or seven away games per season.

Aleeya Hutchins excelled on the Wake Forest track team from 2020 to 2022. She set several Wake records, won an ACC championship, and was an All-American in the indoor 800 meters. But she left the university without graduating and returned to Canada because of the constant pressure to succeed on the track and in the classroom.

“It just gets to be too much,” she said on a YouTube video posted last year. “So many athletes I talk to feel this way … I love my teammates. I love Wake Forest. I love this school. But it was too much for me.”

The crazier the realignments, the more I am leaning toward a separate organization for college football. Let college football group and play however they want. Keep the other sports in geographically limited areas so the travel is not so onerous for the athletes.

The problem with all of this is that football is the engine that provides the bulk of the revenue. With different groupings for football, how do the revenues get divided?

The Big East manages to get competitive in other sports without football revenue.

Back