• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon Football 2013 -- New Coaches add excitement

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
The Deacs had great winter workouts and alot of that is due to the new Deacon coaches.

I have been very impressed with the energy, vison and capacities of our rival Duke graduate Derrick Jackson. He has, imho, a great eye for talent and that will be borne out by the large group from the Southwest -- guys he first identified while at Rice. Derrick is becoming a very polished coach and I see great things ahead for the former 4 year starter and ALL-ACC guy who over-achieved.

The ex- Purdue great, and onetime NCAA career receptions leader, Taylor Stubblefield is another sharp and up and coming talent in the college rankss. This guy is sharp as a tack and and is a grinder when it comes to details.

Jonathan Himebauch has brought some of the bigtime to Wake Forest's promo dept. and is very adept at getting some of our young grad assistants like Ryan McManus airtime and interview training. He is an ace recruiter for the OL and a great young mentor of fellow coaches (grad assistants). Total team guy.

These guys along with the strength staff put together a great off-season competition between offense and defense. I'll keep the reports coming...some exciting news and killer strength numbers being put up by the guys!

Happy Easter.

Winter strength numbers :

The young cuban kid Ryan Janvion is very strong. Confident guy. He posted 374 lbs in the front squat and had a hang clean of 319. His HS coach claimed he was the greatest athlete ever at the school and predicted he'd take fellow alum Daniel Mack's job once arriving at WF. Ryan currently checks in at 5'11 and 190 and clocks a 4.47 40.

Dylan Intemann has really come on and recorded a 352 lb hang and clean (for perspective, Julius Peppers recorded a 352 as a JR at UNC which, at that time, was the school record). Dylan is all of 6 foot 5 - 305 lbs and has the tools to be a multi-yaer starter for the Deacs. Wake is fortunate to have beaten Virginia Tech. NCSU and Georgia Tech for the big man.

Lectro..............breaks over............time to get back to more reports and comments

Justin Jackson has some startling measureables... he and Mike Olson are looking to build on 75 ish tackle seasons (fairly good) into the realm of something a bit more 'special'...

Justin cleared 400 on the bench (401) and also had an incredible 401 pound clean and jerk... he also cleared a pretty amazing 57" inches on the pad drill. (you can bend your knees at the top -- its one step and then you have to clear a stack of pads...his was 57" and watching it you felt like he could go higher. / 6'1 and 235 pounds.

More coming on two very impressive young LB's in K. Jones and Steve Donatell... also real fine progress from Ben Emert and Zach Gordon, two Georgia lads looking to step up...

Lectro, where's the love for Belin? Dude was in my orientation small group at Wake. One of the nicest guys I ever met - he also got nasty once the whistle blew. I'm really excited for Warren!

Agree on DJ - I actually worked with him shortly after he graduated for Duke. Ex Duke WR Walter Jones pulled him into IBM selling PC's.

Great stuff! After what happened this winter in the hardwood, I couldn't be more excited for football to get here

Lectro, where's the love for Belin? Dude was in my orientation small group at Wake. One of the nicest guys I ever met - he also got nasty once the whistle blew. I'm really excited for Warren!

Agree on DJ - I actually worked with him shortly after he graduated for Duke. Ex Duke WR Walter Jones pulled him into IBM selling PC's.

Oh look, I wholeheartedly agree with you about Warren...he just wasn't around for the Winter shift. Warren Belin represents "that hire" WF fans have been yearning for with, say, Josh Gattis -- not to mention the 3 "homies": Himey, DJ, and Stubbs! Warren is a WF man through and through and is at an arc in his career that has him coming from coaching NFL Rookie of the Year, Luke Kuechly, to mentoring his old schools OLB's. Jim Grobe is ecstatic. He's been caught grinning and saying "I have wanted to be able to hire Warren for years!"

BTW, Jim Grobe spent a good amount of time hangin in the weightroom and watching the offense and defense compete in everything from the team arm wrestling "championship" between Frank Souza and Nikita to the offense-defense tug of war, pull up champ (Garcia vs. Vogelsang) to the hammer hold competition between two young powerful guys, Hunter Goodwin "Thor" vs. a jacked up 285 pound Josh Banks (great kid...and as for Hunter, he's taken on Souza's "no-shit" demeanor. Good stuff...and more impressive weight numbers --- like Josh Harris' relatively 'easy' BP of 425...

What about Garside? Didn't he put up some remarkable bench press numbers?

Jordan Garside is a just a unique young man...he is as nice and as humble a fella as that new Pope, Francis... one of the really good guys for sure. Now, as for being powerful, this guy is really at a strength level that you see in the early stages of national and world event training... I mean, if he were to competitively lift for 5-6 more years he would (at whatever classification he'd qualify as) be one of the strongest people on the planet -- IMHO. Anyway, he is stronger than Tommy Bohannon and 2 years younger. He is the Deacon's "Over-achiever"...the 5 foot 9 and 233 pound FB from Florida (he's played football all his life) who was always "a little too short". He can bench FOUR HUNDRED & FIFTY ONE POUNDS like a piece of cake. Not your average "Rudy"... this guy can put up similar numbers across the range of lifts and presses/ upper and lower.

Jordan Garside is a just a unique young man...he is as nice and as humble a fella as that new Pope, Francis... one of the really good guys for sure. Now, as for being powerful, this guy is really at a strength level that you see in the early stages of national and world event training... I mean, if he were to competitively lift for 5-6 more years he would (at whatever classification he'd qualify as) be one of the strongest people on the planet -- IMHO. Anyway, he is stronger than Tommy Bohannon and 2 years younger. He is the Deacon's "Over-achiever"...the 5 foot 9 and 233 pound FB from Florida (he's played football all his life) who was always "a little too short". He can bench FOUR HUNDRED & FIFTY ONE POUNDS like a piece of cake. Not your average "Rudy"... this guy can put up similar numbers across the range of lifts and presses/ upper and lower.

Thanks.

Now, can he or will he play?

Thanks.

Now, can he or will he play?

I really dont know. He is a competent kid, has good footspeed and he's not new to the game. He certainly is helping Ben Emert (the FB from Ball Ground, Georgia who was cumulative Georgia powerlifter of the year as a hs sr). Ben is healthy and rocked a 454 pound free front squat. Those two work together daily and are pushing it to fill Bohanon's shoes.

DeAndre Martin is sort of an X-Factor....he does so many things well and it would not suprise me t6 see him line up at Fullback at some point. He is 6'2.5 and 225 / BP's 338 / hang and cleans 315. Probably throws as pretty a ball as anybody on the team and could punt in a pinch. Really nice all-around footballer who is "country strong" while clocking a swift 4.5 flat forty.

Would be nice to have Martin and Harris on the field at the same time. Way back in the day, our offense was solid with Barclay and Williams in the split back together.

Back