• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dean Smith has died

We're the better for having had Dean Smith in our culture, and in many respects.

I recently lost my own father to complications of dementia. It ain't pretty. It's extremely challenging to the caregivers/stewards/family. Fair sailing, Mr. Smith. Peace to those you leave behind.

PackPride should be fun the next couple of days.

From a PackPride mod:

same warning as the other boards got

you can think what you want, you can tell your friends, etc. but

negative posts will be deleted and posters will be banned.

not open to discussion

Ironically, it was almost 45 years ago to the day (Feb. 5th, to be exact) that Arnie Edwards & I drove up to Winston-Salem from Fort Bragg with two other guys who lived in an off-post house with us to go to that thrilling win over UNC with you...with tickets that you got for us. Fantastic 41-point performance from Charlie Davis...but it took a rare technical foul on Dean Smith in the last minute to overcome a 6-point deficit after we had blown a 13-point halftime lead. Still remember that night like it was just yesterday!

FEB 05 - 1970 4 of us left Fort Bragg for W-S @3; got (sailordeac) @6; WF led 43-30 @half; Deacs were down 6 @1:52; Dean Smith technical @82-83; WF won 88-85; CD 41 points; ate at 2 AM in Sanford on the way back to Bragg.

Did you have a notebook at the game to record the exact time of the technical foul?

Good natured sporting dislike of Coach Smith was an integral part of my college experience. Wake beating his ass by 24 in back to back trips to the Joel represents two of my favorite college memories, of course made sweeter because he was such an icon.

From a PackPride mod:

same warning as the other boards got

you can think what you want, you can tell your friends, etc. but

negative posts will be deleted and posters will be banned.

not open to discussion

Lame. They say all kinds of stuff when he's alive but the guy dies and that changes things?

Despite the fact that I never cared for him, he was a giant in college basketball, a great coach, and, by all accounts, a good man. Glad that he and his family no longer have to suffer from such a horrible disease. RIP, Coach.

Ironically, it was almost 45 years ago to the day (Feb. 5th, to be exact) that Arnie Edwards & I drove up to Winston-Salem from Fort Bragg with two other guys who lived in an off-post house with us to go to that thrilling win over UNC with you...with tickets that you got for us. Fantastic 41-point performance from Charlie Davis...but it took a rare technical foul on Dean Smith in the last minute to overcome a 6-point deficit after we had blown a 13-point halftime lead. Still remember that night like it was just yesterday!

FEB 05 - 1970 4 of us left Fort Bragg for W-S @3; got (sailordeac) @6; WF led 43-30 @half; Deacs were down 6 @1:52; Dean Smith technical @82-83; WF won 88-85; CD 41 points; ate at 2 AM in Sanford on the way back to Bragg.

That's not even close to ironic.

Didn't care for him as a coach and his controlling ways, but a good man who did great things for the sport and much good off of it. The antithesis of Adolph Rupp. RIP Dean

Dean Smith was the coach that you loved to hate, because away from the basketball court it was easy to respect him. I would not say the same about the coach in Durham.

Growing up in NC, I was a N. Carolina fan before I became a Wake fan. Dean was very innovative for his day. Some of it was gimmickry but it worked. He understood psychology and he taught his players his core principles. He always gave props to his opponents in his pressers and weekly shows.

Growing up in NC, I was a N. Carolina fan before I became a Wake fan. Dean was very innovative for his day. Some of it was gimmickry but it worked. He understood psychology and he taught his players his core principles. He always gave props to his opponents in his pressers and weekly shows.

and he always worked the refs all game long, the tv didn't show it but if you went to the games you saw it

Rest in peace. One of the all-time great coaches in basketball. Lucky enough to see his teams play Wake many times.

He was a damn crook. Kill me if you want but it's the truth.

Back