• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DeCock: Manning’s first season a step forward for Wake Forest

DeCock and Gaudio both lay the wood to the Jeff Bzdelic era in the past week with different forms of media. One has to love it.

Nice article.

The bit about us being in 9 of the last 10 opening days of the ACCT... ouch.

"One area where Manning has yet to catch up with [name redacted]: on the road in the ACC. [name redacted] amassed an incredible 2-32 record in ACC road games, but the Deacons are 0-7 under Manning." :rimshot: :squint:

"One area where Manning has yet to catch up with [name redacted]: on the road in the ACC. [name redacted] amassed an incredible 2-32 record in ACC road games, but the Deacons are 0-7 under Manning." :rimshot: :squint:

Guarandamntee you we won't be 2-32 under Manning.

DeCock and Gaudio both lay the wood to the Jeff Bzdelic era in the past week with different forms of media. One has to love it.

I missed the Gaudio quote. What's the story there? Would love to hear his take on what has gone on at Wake since he departed

I missed the Gaudio quote. What's the story there? Would love to hear his take on what has gone on at Wake since he departed

He said something on the ESPNU studio halftime show about DM "having to change the program's culture.":thumbsup:

He said: "What (Manning's) had to do is completely change the culture of the program. I mean four years of unprecedented losing to unbelievable heights. In 2011-12, one of the worst seasons they've ever had in the history of the ACC."

Also talked about how much he liked Manning, how they have the same agent, etc.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued and somewhat surprised that Manning/Gaudio's agent didn't tell Daany to stay away from Wake like the plague.

I'm intrigued and somewhat surprised that Manning/Gaudio's agent didn't tell Daany to stay away from Wake like the plague.

That's entirely possible but he also may have said Wellman is on borrowed time.

That's entirely possible but he also may have said Wellman is on borrowed time.

Wellman is definitely on borrowed time. No employer can possibly tolerate arrogant incompetence of Wellman's magnitude for long. And Wake wont either. Please note: both Clawson and Manning were identified for Wake by search agencies. After [Redacted], no one in their right mind would trust Ron Wellman to make an important hire, no one, not even Wake Forest. After the NCAA tournament, where he will once more play master of ceremonies, Wellman is gone.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talk even when the Athletic Director is Ronald Wellman and the President is Nathan O Hatch because they are about 66 and 68 respectively and cannot stay on forever. Thus Danny Manning will have some new leadership hopefully at the top sooner rather than later. In the meantime he will already have transformed the basketball Deacons into an ACCT double bye team.

Manning was a slightly unconventional choice to bring Wake Forest back to life after [Redacted]’s disastrous reign that saw the Deacons essentially secede from the Big Four and become more or less irrelevant nationally, bar the occasional ACC upset in Joel Coliseum.

Hurts bc it's true.

Wellman is definitely on borrowed time. No employer can possibly tolerate arrogant incompetence of Wellman's magnitude for long. And Wake wont either. Please note: both Clawson and Manning were identified for Wake by search agencies. After [Redacted], no one in their right mind would trust Ron Wellman to make an important hire, no one, not even Wake Forest. After the NCAA tournament, where he will once more play master of ceremonies, Wellman is gone.

:popcorn:

One problem with that: Wellman is no longer on the selection committee, last year was his last year. If he was indeed waiting for that to end to retire, I think it would've happened by now

One problem with that: Wellman is no longer on the selection committee, last year was his last year. If he was indeed waiting for that to end to retire, I think it would've happened by now

Wellman is Head of the Selection Committee through Aug 31st of this year.

I'm 95% sure his chairmanship/committee membership ended Aug. 31, 2014. He was the chair last year -- usually if you're the chair that means it's your last year. Also it was his fifth year which usually means its your time to cycle out.

He also isn't listed on the NCAA page breaking down the committee: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...teams-are-selected-division-i-mens-basketball.

I've seen one article mentioning him as the chair this year though. Holding on to power longer than he's supposed to would seem up his alley

Last edited:
Back