• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defense in 2nd Half vs. VPI

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
This is directed at Wrangor or anybody else in more basketball knowledge than I have relative to actual gameplan/strategy, but what type of defense were we running for the final 15 minutes of the game?

It was a 3-2 matchup zone of some sort (almost like a 4-1 at times with our guys on the perimeter and Collins in the middle of the court), but it seemingly switched to man-to-man defense when either: we called it out around 15 seconds on the shot clock, or they ran their 3/4 man screens at the bottom side of the screen (which happened every other play). While they still got a few open shots (and thankfully missed most of them), by extending the zone to the top of the key, and effectively letting the baseline be completely unguarded at times, we were able to jam up the middle of the court enough to deflect passes, contest shots, and ultimately keep Collins out of his fifth foul.

Whatever it was probably wouldn't work against everybody, but against the VPI smaller lineup it was amazingly effective, especially since they didn't hit the open threes from the corners.

This is directed at Wrangor or anybody else in more basketball knowledge than I have relative to actual gameplan/strategy, but what type of defense were we running for the final 15 minutes of the game?

It was a 3-2 matchup zone of some sort (almost like a 4-1 at times with our guys on the perimeter and Collins in the middle of the court), but it seemingly switched to man-to-man defense when either: we called it out around 15 seconds on the shot clock, or they ran their 3/4 man screens at the bottom side of the screen (which happened every other play). While they still got a few open shots (and thankfully missed most of them), by extending the zone to the top of the key, and effectively letting the baseline be completely unguarded at times, we were able to jam up the middle of the court enough to deflect passes, contest shots, and ultimately keep Collins out of his fifth foul.

Whatever it was probably wouldn't work against everybody, but against the VPI smaller lineup it was amazingly effective, especially since they didn't hit the open threes from the corners.

That was a 3-2 match-up zone with guards staying with their man all the way through their drive. It was very effective and won the game for us. We also used 3/4 court man pressure a few times in the last minutes, which was also effective in slowing them down. I wish we would have used the 3-2 a little more earlier in the year - particularly the home game against Duke.

A friend of mine at Alcorn State actually runs a similar defense to what Wake ran against VT. He actually switches between zone and man inside the possession. He learned it from some of the stuff we were doing together when we coached a decade ago. To be honest I am surprised that we don't see more of it in college basketball. Especially when you combine it with a press. You can have a 3/4 court press, drop back to a zone, and then matchup into man all in the same possession. It makes it very difficult for the offense to have any semblance of routine. But it is pretty much what Rafi said. I haven't gone back and watched the game film, but we were essentially playing a matchup zone that made sure to prevent the dribble drive. It was VT's dribble drive that was killing us in the first half, not their shooting. All their shots were predicated from getting into the lane first.

It was a great move, and one that several of us had mentioned before the game that we wanted to see some unique zone setups to keep them out of the paint and protect JC. The key to VT is stopping the dribble drive. I would actually love to see some of that defense against Duke. I think it could be very effective. It exposes the underbelly a little bit and makes it difficult to guard the pick and roll if you aren't communicating, but it prevents the straight line drives to the basket that can really hurt Wake sometimes. The fact that we were able to pull it off shows that we are improving with our defensive communication, as that is the key to any unique D's. It is going to get messy, and you have to be constantly filling gaps and sprinting to help side to make up for the mistakes that inevitably happen. More importantly you have to have practice time to work on it. Complicated defenses only work when a player has practice after practice of exposure. It is the advantage of having veterans in the lineup. I Think the more upperclassmen we have on the court, the more we will be able to switch to boutique defenses, because we will have the experience to remember how to play the set.

Last edited:
Part of the effectiveness of that defense rested on the development of BChill as a college player, and even more so, as an on ball defender. He has become good at making life difficult for opponent's point guards.

Thanks for the explanation.

It would have also been helpful if we realized that Seth Allen was left-handed and liked to go left.

Thanks for the explanation.

It would have also been helpful if we realized that Seth Allen was left-handed and liked to go left.

Yes, there were many positives to the game, but our inability to stop the left handed dribble drive was a certain negative. Lefties are tough, your instincts are always to protect the right side, so you have to sort of retrain yourself. Sometimes that training breaks down.

Well I tried linking a certain coach's excellent matchup zone tutorial but it kept crashing my internet. Definitely deserved.

Back